The Colonists» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How many housing buildings? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure it depends heavily, but since working meeples are on of the most important sources of points (unless you happen to have some giant sale at the market at hands), how many of which housing buildings do you tend to use?

We are in our first game, era III, and it seems that 3 estates, 2 appartments and the rest houses might hit some sweet spot (though I don't know yet how many red meeples we can actually send to work until the end). Two estates might suffice, and there is the possibility to upgrade one to appartment via the labor colony (which in itself is a game changer in that respect), but we might (with more space on the board) also build more green production buildings for them (as they are really cheap in the end and resources are good).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not going to spoil how many merchants you can put to work in era 4, much more fun to find that out for yourself! But it's certainly important to think about how many estates/apartments and houses you're going for, as early as era II. When you have to go back in era III to build more farms, it's a waste of actions.

3 estates sounds a bit much, from what I've seen in my games. 2 estates, 2 apartments and room for houses is on average what we've been doing. Of course there's variation, depending on whether you have an institute or not (since it needs 2 farmers), whether it's farmers or citizens who are working in the factories, and if the laborer colony is in place. The latter maken things very different for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here. Roughly 2 estates, 2 apartments.

Although building more farms in Era IV can make sense in some situations (lots of wood, need to travel through that Place, no way to get citizens or merchants into any more buildings). Once you've unlocked the extra space on the board, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Next time I play I plan to build 6 Farms or so and go 2 Estates, 2 Apartments, 2 Community Halls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're limited to one community hall. Better land on building more houses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.