Marrying Mr. Darcy» Forums » General

Subject: We had a fun time on Boxing Day. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ernie Olsen
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Went to another couples' house for dinner on Boxing Day and we brought Marrying Mr. Darcy with us, a game I had given to my wife for Christmas but none of us had played. While my wife and I are well-versed in the source material for this game, our friends were not. Luckily, the premise of Marrying Mr. Darcy, improve your character and snag a husband, is easy to grasp and the rules can be taught in 5 minutes. It's perfect for light after-dinner amusement because it doesn't take multiples plays before you "get it".

The gameplay is driven by the event-cards; you simply pick a card and do what it says. The luck factor would make this a bit of a bore if it weren't for the great artwork and delightfully catty text on the cards, which must be read aloud to all the players. What little strategy there is is a least a lot of fun. I played Charlotte Lukas, who starts with loads of 'Cunning', but little in the way of 'Wit' or 'Beauty'. I needed to make myself appealing to the many available suitors but the cards I drew were not the ones that allowed me to play 'Character Cards', rather they only revealed the scandalous behavior of my fellow ladies: they were continually being caught using back-stabbing gossip and wearing gowns with inappropriate décolletage.

By the end no one had any 'Reputation' left. Poor Charlotte didn't receive a single marriage proposal and ended up the 'Old Maid'. My wife, as the teen Miss Georgiana, eloped with the infamous Mr Wickham and never looked back, narrowly winning based solely on her looks.

It is a fun game if you don't mind role-playing a society steeped in the lowest (best) kind of middle-school girl politics. And we proved that you don't need to be familiar with Pride and Prejudice to have fun with the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Nice - cheers for sharing the tale. Must admit I too kinda enjoy this, despite knowing next to nothing about the Austen universe. Backed it on Kickstarter for my wife... but we've both enjoyed several games of it.

Have you seen/got the Emma or Undead expansions?! They are both fun and actually shift the game around a little too, for extra amusement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Olsen
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I did not know there was an Emma expansion. Is it still available? I know these kickstarter things have a limited print run and someone mentioned that Marrying Mr Darcy was out of print (though 401 Games in Toronto, Canada, still has it on the shelf).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there. Presuming you've seen the page on here, but if not then check out Emma Expansion when you get 5 mins.

I also just did a quick check and wow... it's hard to find these days. And those copies available, have about $20-$30 shipping on top! Yowzers.

I DID find it on Amazon.com for a decent price, assuming you can get cheap shipping to your place (says it's free):

Amazon shopping malarkey

Good luck!

Steve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Olsen
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the link. I just checked out the Emma expansion. I can see by the Event cards that the expansion adds more rules to enrich the gameplay, but I'm not convinced the game would be better with a more complicated ruleset. At its heart, it is a simple game with a rich theme, and in my opinion,(based also on who I play it with), it benefits from the simplicity.

Also, Amazon's free shipping doesn't extend to such exotic locales such as Canada, so to ship something to Toronto, a whopping 2 hour drive from the U.S border requires an extra 20 dollars of shipping. Must be a Trump thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
Played with another couple who also enjoy games and knows nothing of P&P. Following week, the husband asked to play this game again. Definitely transcends the fandom and familiarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mellonhead3013 wrote:
Thanks for the link. I just checked out the Emma expansion. I can see by the Event cards that the expansion adds more rules to enrich the gameplay, but I'm not convinced the game would be better with a more complicated ruleset. At its heart, it is a simple game with a rich theme, and in my opinion,(based also on who I play it with), it benefits from the simplicity.

Also, Amazon's free shipping doesn't extend to such exotic locales such as Canada, so to ship something to Toronto, a whopping 2 hour drive from the U.S border requires an extra 20 dollars of shipping. Must be a Trump thing.

Damn those borders! Like you said though, adding stuff to a game doesn't make it better... which is probably the case here. Although, there's only a couple of tweaks with Emma, so it's not too bad. Mind you, easy for me to say when I got it for $10 back in the day!

It's a 'nice to have'. Happy holidays!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dandylion Thirteen
msg tools
I ordered the Emma expansion from 401 game in Toronto - but I believe it was their last copy. Yes, the event cards add/change many rules in a fun and new way, so if you feel you've exhausted the original game, it's definitely worth picking up. I and my friend who I play this are obsessive Jane Austen fans, so it's been real blast to play.
In in first game I played Miss Bates, and ended up marrying Mr. Knightly, which was both hilarious and pretty great!

But now we're wishing for a Sense and Sensibility expansion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.