5 Posts

Spyfall» Forums » Rules

Subject: Do you question/answer like you are role playing or real life? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Millie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I've just started to play this game with some friends and it was confusing whether we should be role playing like we are actually at the location or whether the location is just a location. The games we played, we had a bit of a mix going on.

For example, the location was Hotel and someone asked me "When was I last at one?" and I replied honestly when I was last at a hotel which was a few months ago.

Is this valid and in the rules or is it mandatory that we all role play like we are at this location?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules do not mandate that questions be asked in roleplaying fashion, though the way the rulebook is written assumes players are pretending to be at the location. See the sample round on page 6, for example.

Ultimately I think the game works fine either way, but is probably better in roleplaying style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play however you like, but I'd say the idea is that you are all at the location except one person who is trying to find out. So it makes sense to me to answer as if you are there. However in your e ample the person ask the question in the past tense so you answered in the past tense. The game is definitely more fun if you can be creative. People who answer simply yes, no, any time etc make a boring game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are supposed to answer as if you are present.
Treat it like you are physically at the location. It helps with so many questions and answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's fine, but in general, I feel like the game is better if everyone is playing with the same conventions. Either you all aren't pretending you're present or you all are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.