Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » General

Subject: Star Trek: Ascendancy - The BORG? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan K

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very excited to play this game! I've been eyeing it for a couple months now and ordered it this week. It should arrive today and going to play it with friends tomorrow.

I just have to ask though... Why were the Borg not chosen as an expansion race?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the Borg fit the aesthetic of making alliances, etc., as they are a viral race.

HOWEVER, I DO think they would make an OUTSTANDING add-on to the game as an AI race causing havoc that the players would be forced to deal with, perhaps even unite over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Weihrauch
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Voyager the Borg did form an alliance with the Federation against Species 8472 and the Queen seems to be open for agreements... maybe not necessarily a trade agreement but this can be ruled with specific trade cards.

I really hope to see the Borg as playable faction!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a youtube video where one of the designers talks about the Borg, among a few other ideas for expansions. His idea was that the Borg would be an NPC race.

Edit: Here it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtvOIvcAXHA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana R.
United States
Claremont
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Devotium Popcornicus
mbmbmbmbmb
The Borg would fit much better in Fleet Captains and that never happened I doubt it would here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shrouded In Mystery
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard they are planning to make 10 expansions for this game. Even the Tholians are referenced in one of the base game cards, so it wouldn't be much of a stretch to assume to Borg are coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now the Borg are too different from all other races. You would have to have a system for the Delta Quadrant,some substitute for Trade Agreements, also explain assimilation of worlds and how the different from colonization of worlds.

But I do agree they would still make a good expansion race.I posted a concept sketch in the variants section on how the Borg might play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bellettini
Italy
Ravenna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be great as NPC Race.

I don't see it as a player controlled faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Marshall
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Given the fact that the Federation, Klingons, and Romulans made an alliance to fight off the combined forces of the Dominion and the Cardassians (and eventually the Breen), alliances are definitely something I'd like to see somehow employed in Star Trek: Ascendancy. But given how the basic theme of the game is civilization-building, I doubt that it can easily be incorporated into the current mechanics.

Even alliances against the Borg would be very rare and swiftly resolved affairs if they reflected the threat the Borg pose in the TV shows. I'm talking about maybe a single Borg vessel that appears on the map and begins wreaking havoc until it's taken out (or assimilates a Homeworld). Any protracted war involving the Borg would realistically devastate every other race on the board.

Sigh, I guess we really need a dedicated grand scale strategic Star Trek game for something like alliances, perhaps with a map and components that employ the production values of Star Wars: Rebellion and perhaps the modular capabilities of Twilight Imperium or ST: A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Rose
Canada
flag msg tools
The Borg making a hemonegy roll would be similar to an assimilation mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having the Borg in the game is so popular that this very question has come up in multiple threads. A British poster reported some time ago that a company rep said that the Borg will come in as an NPC race, but if they defeat a player, he/she will then play as the Borg!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trad Man
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I picture the Borg being all about Research, much like the Ferengi are all about Production. I expect this would make them slightly more powerful than everyone else, but to compensate, they wouldn't be able to gain or give Trade Agreements. It would be easy to make them runaway powerful, but I think this is the most reasonable balance. So, something like this.

Bonus:
Gain 1 research after each successful invasion or hegemony, and after every combat with your ships.

Weakness:
You may not gain or give Trade Agreements

Starting Advancement:
Adaptation: After the first round of combat, your rivals roll one less attack die against you (minimum of 1).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tradman86 wrote:
I picture the Borg being all about Research, much like the Ferengi are all about Production. I expect this would make them slightly more powerful than everyone else, but to compensate, they wouldn't be able to gain or give Trade Agreements. It would be easy to make them runaway powerful, but I think this is the most reasonable balance. So, something like this.

Bonus:
Gain 1 research after each successful invasion or hegemony, and after every combat with your ships.

Weakness:

Starting Advancement:
Adaptation: After the first round of combat, your rivals roll one less attack die against you (minimum of 1).

Good ideas!

How about these?

I would give 2 Bonuses and 2 Weaknesses to the Borg

Bonuses:

1. Assimilation - At the start of your Execution Phase, choose one Bonus from a race you have made contact with. You may use that Bonus until your next turn as if it were your own.

2. Regeneration - Beginning in the 3rd round of a battle, add a Borg cube to the combat once per round.

Weaknesses:

1. Discussion is Irrelevant - You may not gain or give trade agreements

2. Resistance is Futile - The Borg CANNOT win the game through Ascendancy. You must occupy 3 home planets in order to win the game.

Also, the Borg have NO Research Advancement cards. They can ONLY acquire OTHER Race's advancements through the Capture of Research Nodes, per the rulebook (p. 20).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trad Man
United States
New York
flag msg tools
RebRob wrote:
Tradman86 wrote:

Bonus:

Weakness:

Starting Advancement:

Good ideas!

How about these?

Bonuses:

1. Assimilation - At the start of your Execution Phase, choose one Bonus from a race you have made contact with. You may use that Bonus until your next turn as if it were your own.

2. Regeneration - Beginning in the 3rd round of a battle, add a Borg cube to the combat once per round.

Weaknesses:

2. Resistance is Futile - The Borg CANNOT win the game through Ascendancy. You must occupy 3 home planets in order to win the game.

Also, the Borg have NO Research Advancement cards. They can ONLY acquire OTHER Race's advancements through the Capture of Research Nodes, per the rulebook (p. 20).

All that might be too much IMHO, but I like the idea of giving them an incentive to attack home worlds. Maybe say they can only win Ascendancy if they control one rival home world in addition to their own (i.e. their constant attempts to assimilate Earth).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tradman86 wrote:
RebRob wrote:
Tradman86 wrote:

Bonus:

Weakness:

Starting Advancement:

Good ideas!

How about these?

Bonuses:

Weaknesses:

All that might be too much IMHO, but I like the idea of giving them an incentive to attack home worlds. Maybe say they can only win Ascendancy if they control one rival home world in addition to their own (i.e. their constant attempts to assimilate Earth).

Perhaps it is a bit much, but don't forget I've taken a lot away too. They cannot develop their own advancements, they're incumbent on taking others' through invasion. They cannot win through Ascendancy, and are FORCED to occupy at least two other home worlds.

The idea here is that the Borg foster a "one vs. many" environment. Races may need to ban together just to slow the spread of the Borg.

The Borg are powerful, yes, but only in as much as they can assimilate other cultures....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trad Man
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I meant too much as in too many new rules to track, not too much as in too powerful.

I'm also not sold on them having no Advancements. There's a lot of Borg type tech we would lose, like Transwarp, Hive mind, Borg Tractor beams etc.

Also making it so everyone gangs up on the Borg would skew the game away from the shaky political alliances that's at the core of the game, especially if it's a 3 player game. I think better to leave the door open for other factions to "make a deal with the devil" and ally themselves with the Borg.

Just my two cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they'd need to not gain culture from nodes at all. They gain culture from successfully invading (not destroying the control node) or hegemonying a rival or neutral world. The rest of their culture would come from upgrades, like 1 culture for each research station you have (at time of completion), 3 culture for taking a homeworld, etc.

That's be tough as hell to balance for, but seems more in theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the borg might make a good NPC/Playable race format for in a 2 player game they are an NPC and in a 4 or more player game they can be a playable faction. I did a quick sketch of what the Borg might be like HERE. Basicly they work like a turtle race as they had no influence in the OST era, however they have to invade the alpha quadrant if they want to achieve victory.

Victory, Victory through assimilation for their culture bonus. However that is the only way they get culture. They don't colonize or hegemony systems so they won't need to spend any culture but they still have to get 25 systems assimilated to achieve Ascendancy, or grab two homeworlds for Supremacy.

Homeworld and other systems are in the Delta Quadrant which is kept separated form the rest of the other systems. However there is not enough delta quadrant systems nor are they any homeworlds systems in the delta quadrant for the Borg to win the game so eventually they will have to use their transwarp gate starting technology if they want to win.

Trade: Borg doesn't have trade so instead they have adaptation where they take a trade card from a civ and give them a probe card. The probe card is more like a side mission for the encountered civilization to complete giving them a boon against the borg. Until then the Borg can attack control nodes and ships of that civilization. However they add the production value of the trade agreement they have taken from that civ to the sheild and weapon value of their ship when fighting against that civ. If there is no trade agreement available they can still hand that player a probe card.

Fleets: Borg usually don't have fleets as they send in only one cube. So instead they "assimilate" other ships. Ships that are defeated are added to there fleet. Furthermore assimilated ships add +1 weapons and +1 shields when ever a borg fleet is in a battle against that civ.

Ally: Doesn't matter if Borg successfully assimilates the planet the ally counts as being assimilated and adds one culture to the borg.

Balance concerns. I actually think it is ballanced because while the Borg might go undisturbed in the first part of the game they are essentially up against the clock as the other races can simply harvest their way to ascendancy victory. So when the Borg does enter the Alpha quadrant the other civs will be working on their 4th or even 5th ascendancy token if they can't fight the borg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trad Man
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Marinealver wrote:
I think the borg might make a good NPC/Playable race format for in a 2 player game they are an NPC and in a 4 or more player game they can be a playable faction. I did a quick sketch of what the Borg might be like HERE. Basicly they work like a turtle race as they had no influence in the OST era, however they have to invade the alpha quadrant if they want to achieve victory.

Victory, Victory through assimilation for their culture bonus. However that is the only way they get culture. They don't colonize or hegemony systems so they won't need to spend any culture but they still have to get 25 systems assimilated to achieve Ascendancy, or grab two homeworlds for Supremacy.

Homeworld and other systems are in the Delta Quadrant which is kept separated form the rest of the other systems. However there is not enough delta quadrant systems nor are they any homeworlds systems in the delta quadrant for the Borg to win the game so eventually they will have to use their transwarp gate starting technology if they want to win.

Trade: Borg doesn't have trade so instead they have adaptation where they take a trade card from a civ and give them a probe card. The probe card is more like a side mission for the encountered civilization to complete giving them a boon against the borg. Until then the Borg can attack control nodes and ships of that civilization. However they add the production value of the trade agreement they have taken from that civ to the sheild and weapon value of their ship when fighting against that civ. If there is no trade agreement available they can still hand that player a probe card.

Fleets: Borg usually don't have fleets as they send in only one cube. So instead they "assimilate" other ships. Ships that are defeated are added to there fleet. Furthermore assimilated ships add +1 weapons and +1 shields when ever a borg fleet is in a battle against that civ.

Ally: Doesn't matter if Borg successfully assimilates the planet the ally counts as being assimilated and adds one culture to the borg.

Balance concerns. I actually think it is ballanced because while the Borg might go undisturbed in the first part of the game they are essentially up against the clock as the other races can simply harvest their way to ascendancy victory. So when the Borg does enter the Alpha quadrant the other civs will be working on their 4th or even 5th ascendancy token if they can't fight the borg.

Personally, that's exactly what I don't want; the Borg to have so many different extra rules that anyone who plays them is practically playing a different game than everyone else. That kind of thinking is what caused Star Trek Attack Wing to go belly up. And in this case, there's no reason for it.

Every faction already acts somewhat Borg like in this game. They have to add planets to their empire, they can steal advancements from each other, and there's an incentive to take over homeworlds. You don't need to go crazy with the Borg, they already fit right in with how the game is played. The standard set of bonuses, penalties, and a thematic advancement deck will do.

I like the idea of NPC, but I think I'd prefer if GF9 made an Autonoma type deck, like the one in Scythe, rather than making an NPC specific faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.