Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy Pugliese
United States
Columbus
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My question revolves around the intricacies of how Island Tiles of your color are treated when revealed under different circumstances.

The rules say you received the reward based on the letter on the Island Tile when you revealed an Island Tile of another player’s color (pg 7).

The rules also say that if you use the Explore an Island action and the Island Tile matches your color you place a Shrine and take the Zeus Tile reward (pg 11) and if reiterates if the tile matches another player you take the reward based on the letter on the tile (pg 11).

My questions is what happens if you use the Artemis action (pg 8) or an Equipment Card (pg 9) that allows you to reveal an Island Tile? In both cases the rules refer you back to the Explore an Island action, so does this mean that if you reveal an Island Tile of your color in this manner that you immediately place one of your Shrines and take the Zeus Tile reward even though you may be on the other side of the board? Or would you take the letter-based reward and still need to travel to your Island Tile to place the Shrine?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pug784 wrote:
...so does this mean that if you reveal an Island Tile of your color in this manner that you immediately place one of your Shrines and take the Zeus Tile reward even though you may be on the other side of the board? Or would you take the letter-based reward and still need to travel to your Island Tile to place the Shrine?

The first part is correct (as is the preceding paragraphs). No matter where or how you flip a tile, you always take the shrine reward (your color) or symbol reward (other color). And symbols never matter when it's in your color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Braffe wrote:
And symbols never matter when it's in your color.

Unless you are playing the short variant of the game. In that case if the explored tile is your colour but you do not have the corresponding Zeus tile, you get the reward based on the letter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBen wrote:
Unless you are playing the short variant of the game. In that case if the explored tile is your colour but you do not have the corresponding Zeus tile, you get the reward based on the letter.

This was a question I asked the other day, in the new version of the rules it was changed so that the symbol on the zeus tile itself really never matters, so you only need to match color. Ralph Bruhn answered it officially in this post https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24590371#24590371

barandur wrote:
Sorry for the confusion, please read the new version of the rules here on BGG, where we clarified this topic.

To make it easier, the new version says, that the color of the background of the island must match the player color. If you play with 12 tasks, you have to find all the 3 tiles in your player color, so it doesn't matter, which symbol you find first.

Important is this clarification for the shorter version: In the "old" version you had to find the exact tile (color and symbol) to place your shrine. But as you want to have a SHORTER game, we adjusted this rule to the version, that only the player color has to match, not the symbol.

Just to be sure: When I say "player color on the island", I mean the artwork details, e.g. the blue water elements for the blue player or the red roofs for the red player.

If now somebody asks, why there are still the Greek letters on the Zeus tiles: That's right, they are not needed any more. You only need the letters on the island tiles, when you discover an island which belongs to another player.

So now I just tell people when its your color the symbol never matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, interesting, thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Zeeb
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks Brad, for, once again, posting a perfect answer.

Bascially, if you explore (turn face up) an Island Tile, irrespective how,
you receive a bonus:
if the tile is of your player color --> place a shrine and discard Zeus Tile

if the tile is NOT your player color --> receive a reward corresponding to the greek letter.

In the first edition of the rules (and game), both color AND letter were required to discard the corresponding Zeus Tile.
In the new version of the rules, ONLY the color has to match.

This is identical to the old rules for the full game but makes the shorter game a little easier. Yet, the rule is much easier to understand.

Martin
translator of Delphi, for H@llGames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Baldur12c wrote:

In the first edition of the rules (and game), both color AND letter were required to discard the corresponding Zeus Tile.

This is identical to the old rules for the full game but makes the shorter game a little easier. Yet, the rule is much easier to understand.

Martin

What about if you have the ship that allows you to discard a task at the beginning of the game? Do you only need to find 2 of your colored shrines (regardless of the symbol) if you discarded a shrine? I would assume so with the new edition of the rule.

Note that in this case the full game is slightly different from the first edition to the second edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
junesen wrote:
What about if you have the ship that allows you to discard a task at the beginning of the game? Do you only need to find 2 of your colored shrines (regardless of the symbol) if you discarded a shrine? I would assume so with the new edition of the rule.

Correct, just find 2 of the 3, it doesn't matter which 2 (this is explained above in a quote box too).
I had this issue come up in a game yesterday actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
junesen wrote:
Baldur12c wrote:

Martin

Note that in this case the full game is slightly different from the first edition to the second edition.

Yeah, that is a significant difference if you have that particular ship. We had decided that you never wanted to remove a "shrine" goal tile with that ship, as there was no way of knowing which of your temples would he hard or easy to find. This change makes removing a shrine goal much more appealing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
junesen wrote:

Something else occurred to me: what happens if you discarded a shrine goal with the "one less goal ship" and already discovered both of your shrines and you discover your third shrine location? Do you get the "greek letter" rewards then? If you can opt for a "greek letter" reward instead of doing the shrine in the 3rd location, can you opt to take the "greek letter" reward with the first or second location? What happens if two of your tiles are face up (discovered by other players) and you discover the third, do you put a shrine or do you get the "greek letter" reward?

Given the above corner cases, I actually prefer the original rules because it is simpler to understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
junesen wrote:
Something else occurred to me: what happens if you discarded a shrine goal with the "one less goal ship" and already discovered both of your shrines and you discover your third shrine location? Do you get the "greek letter" rewards then? If you can opt for a "greek letter" reward instead of doing the shrine in the 3rd location, can you opt to take the "greek letter" reward with the first or second location? What happens if two of your tiles are face up (discovered by other players) and you discover the third, do you put a shrine or do you get the "greek letter" reward?

Given the above corner cases, I actually prefer the original rules because it is simpler to understand.
It's not this difficult: As long as you have a shrine to deliver, you have to deliver it. After this you take the "Greek letter reward".

But in the end it is not really important, both versions work fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
barandur wrote:
It's not this difficult: As long as you have a shrine to deliver, you have to deliver it. After this you take the "Greek letter reward".

Thanks for the ruling. I guess if you can optionally take the "Greek letter reward," then you can take the reward and immediately deliver the shrine on the next action--which is too powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.