7 Wonders» Forums » News

Subject: [Android + IOS] Augmented 7 Wonders rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Florian Chassaing
msg tools
mb
Hello guys,

A little post to let you know about the app I just released and that might excite the curiosity of some of you. Augmented 7 Wonders is an augmented reality app that helps you play the 7 Wonders board game.

Principle :

1- You don't remember the rules of a card that's in you hand or you find it difficult to understand.
2- You film that card with your device's camera.
3- The app shows, in augmented reality, the detailed explanation corresponding to the card being filmed.

Like this :

Cards handled by the app :

- Original 7 Wonders Cards (including "wonder" cards).
- Cards introduced by the Cities extension (including "wonder" cards).
- Cards introduced by the Leaders extension (including "wonder" cards).

Rules can be displayed in 3 languages : french, english, german.

The app might not be very useful to 7 Wonders veterans but it can be quite helpful to others. It can avoid you a long and fastidious exploration of the rules while you play and might prevent the other players from hanging you with your guts because you take too much time to decide yourself. The app is free (but might include, in the future, payed additional functionalities), without ads and can be found in the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store.

I hope you'll enjoy it !
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Android] Augmented 7 Wonders
That's a neat concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donal Behal

Newtownabbey
Antrim
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Should help me with leaders and cities hate the way they did not include cheatsheets with the expansions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Braun
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance of an iOS version? I can install this on my Kindle Fire, but the phone portability is REALLY cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Chassaing
msg tools
mb
Yes I might release an iOS version soon but I can't be more precise !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is such a great idea, and I can definitely see this concept being used in a bunch of different ways for other games with hidden information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Philippe
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just download it.
Looking forward to try it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DuckOfDeath V
United States
Hillsboro
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool. Next can you write app that will calculate my score from a picture of the final layout?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Chassaing
msg tools
mb
JoeC0 wrote:
Very cool. Next can you write app that will calculate my score from a picture of the final layout?

Well, that's the next functionality I plan to release (not exactly as you described it though) !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronaldy Halim
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great app. Can you also include the description of promo leader cards, such as Esteban,Stevie, etc?

^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Chassaing
msg tools
mb
alay_pewpew wrote:
Great app. Can you also include the description of promo leader cards, such as Esteban,Stevie, etc?^^

Yes why not

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Chassaing
msg tools
mb
Hey guys, happy new year to all of you !

Thanks a lot for your kind public and private messages, it's so cool to see that my work on this app is appreciated by other people than... me ! As some of you have already done, don't hesitate to send me requests or ideas about the app, I really like to hear what you have to say about it.

I'm currently in the process of making this app known by the 7 Wonders' community and it's so much more difficult than coding it !

So I have a favor to ask you : if you liked the app and have a little bit of spare time, would you please consider leaving a quick comment / note on the Play Store page, and/or liking the Facebook page I just created ?

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like it will be handy for new groups at the very least, easier to pass around a phone than the rulebook.

"Bug" issues I've noticed (all English language)

Cards:
Some card cut off text (like in the image in the first post).
Known cards: Haven, Lighthouse, Chamber of Commerce

Wonder Boards:
Most cards don't show the "B" Side text (cuts off at a certain point, similar to above).

Babylon tries to put the text upside-down more than not. Other Wonders like upside-down text, but usually a 2nd try will fix it, Babylon does not cooperate well.

Alexandria either doesn't show any text, or insists that the 3-Victory in the corner is an entirely different card.

Giza(h) either loads a 0-Victory in the middle, no text OR has Alexandria's problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Chassaing
msg tools
mb
Hi grarrrg !

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

About the cutoff text bug : actually, it's not a bug it's a feature ! You can normally scroll the text up with a simple swipe gesture on the screen in order to see the rest of the text. Can you confirm me it fixes your issue ?

About the Wonder Boards : at first I didn't understand what you meant but now I get it. Actually, the app isn't meant to recognize wonder boards (at least for now) but the cards concerning the wonders. It turns out that the images on the wonders cards are a part of the image on the wonder board hence the wonder board gets (badly)detected as a wonder card. I'll try to fix that.

In the meantime, if you want to know about wonders rules, you should try to detect wonders cards and scroll up if you want to see the B side.

grarrrg wrote:
Seems like it will be handy for new groups at the very least, easier to pass around a phone than the rulebook.

"Bug" issues I've noticed (all English language)

Cards:
Some card cut off text (like in the image in the first post).
Known cards: Haven, Lighthouse, Chamber of Commerce

Wonder Boards:
Most cards don't show the "B" Side text (cuts off at a certain point, similar to above).

Babylon tries to put the text upside-down more than not. Other Wonders like upside-down text, but usually a 2nd try will fix it, Babylon does not cooperate well.

Alexandria either doesn't show any text, or insists that the 3-Victory in the corner is an entirely different card.

Giza(h) either loads a 0-Victory in the middle, no text OR has Alexandria's problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, didn't even consider being able to scroll. Partly because most text fit so nicely on a single card size.

I do have a suggestion for the variable point cards. As an example, a Science card on its own is worth at least 1VP, but it could be worth more, so can you do " 1+ " as the display? Basically just adding a plus sign after the number to indicate it could/will be bigger?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Chassaing
msg tools
mb
Yes your comment helped me realize that the ability to scroll was not that obvious so I added an hint that will be available in the next version.

About your suggestion : that number will, in a future update, show the exact points earned by the card, depending on all the cards already registered by the app.

grarrrg wrote:
Huh, didn't even consider being able to scroll. Partly because most text fit so nicely on a single card size.

I do have a suggestion for the variable point cards. As an example, a Science card on its own is worth at least 1VP, but it could be worth more, so can you do " 1+ " as the display? Basically just adding a plus sign after the number to indicate it could/will be bigger?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Staheli
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Will your app support fan made expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Chassaing
msg tools
mb
Well, as I'm doing it on my spare time, I'll focus on the official cards and expansions for now but later, once I have released the functionalities I want and the iOS version, why not

astaheli wrote:
Will your app support fan made expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric royer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
it would be great if it included the sailors, ruins, myths/faith, and empires

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Bevitt
Australia
Glenwood
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Nice work! Just downloaded and used the app for the first time. Very helpful when playing the expansions, which we don't do too often!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems awesome, and since you've developed the platform I have to assume it would be straightforward for you to add on other games.

But I think this is great in the sense that I've seen a lot of games with newer players bog down because players want to confirm something but don't want to ask an opponent (for obvious reasons) so shuffle through the book.

I could see this working for a lot of different games.

I'll subscribe for now since I'm an iOS user (but certainly not going to complain - Android users tend to be neglected so I won't complain that they have something that I don't), but I'll pick this up as soon as it's available to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
I'll subscribe for now since I'm an iOS user (but certainly not going to complain - Android users tend to be neglected so I won't complain that they have something that I don't), but I'll pick this up as soon as it's available to me.

Same here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Chassaing
msg tools
mb
Hi guys,

I just updated the app with several things :

- Since it was requested to me, I added two new languages : Italian and Spanish. So if you happen to know people that are at the same time Italian / Spanish native speakers AND 7 Wonders players, please tell them there is an app waiting for them ! By the way, if you guys know other places where I could promote the app, feel free to share that knowledge with me !

- Thanks to grarrrg's feedback, I enhanced text scrolling by adding an indicator when the length of the text is bigger than the height of the card.

- You can now see wonders rules by filming wonders boards, like this :

- Wonders cards still work, but you can now choose the side you want to see, which limits the amount of text.

- I also added description for promo leaders as alay_pewpew asked for it. Unfortunately, probably due to his young age, Esteban seems to be immune to image recognition and I couldn't integrate him. Wil, Nimrod, Louis and Stevie work fine though.

Next step : iOS Version !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! I'm helping! (Sort of...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DuckOfDeath V
United States
Hillsboro
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.