Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Official - number of tokens during fire spread step rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Carrington
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The reply I got from FFG early this month

"When fire spreads, exactly 1 Fire token is placed each round. When the line says “if one or more spaces contain Fire” it is referring to the whole board. So if the board contains 1 plus any number of spaces containing fire, 1 Fire token is placed in a space adjacent to a space that contains Fire."

Hope that helps :-) sorry I would have shared earlier except for all the childhood illnesses going on at home
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a game changer.
I always thought that fire is placed adjacent to each space already containing fire wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Not a game changer here, that's how I've been playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've been playing it wrong, then it's a game changer ;)

The rules have been pretty clear though, just one token is added for the whole map on the one turn.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. This is not news at all. Just a confirmation of the very unambiguous rules about fire placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
Have you paid your dues, Jack?
badge
Yes sir, the check is in the mail.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I ran into more ambiguously written rules in this game than any other I have played, including Mage Knight (of course, FINDING the unambiguous rule you need in MK is its own problem).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
Muad Dib wrote:
This is a game changer.
I always thought that fire is placed adjacent to each space already containing fire wow

Game changer for me as well. We have been playing where each space spreads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Van Roeyen
Belgium
Ekeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The learning and playthrough videos from watchitplayed also explain this wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SvenVR73 wrote:
The learning and playthrough videos from watchitplayed also explain this wrong.

No Rodney is very clear that no matter how much fire is on the board you only add one new fire token.

Here's the video. Skip to 24:42 to hear his Fire explanation. https://youtu.be/a2dsq2GsMSs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kidd
Ireland
Templemore
Tipperary
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Feels a bit gamey to be able to chose where the fire spreads to though. Do you guys randomise it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rancemeister wrote:
Feels a bit gamey to be able to chose where the fire spreads to though. Do you guys randomise it?

I've been thinking on this topic lately and realised that you really do want to give everybody a choice. You can choose to make it a random choice, but you should only do so if all at the table are willing.

The reason why is there are several Insanity conditions that deal with Fire either directly or indirectly. A Pyromaniac will certainly want to direct the flames into new rooms instead of spreading in the same room. Any other player with a traitorous Insane Condition might even want to pretend they have Pyromania to throw people off the scent of their real Condition!

So you should always get into the habit of asking which space to add the new fire token to. Only do it randomly if everyone agrees to do so. If there is disagreement, determine a random player and let them make the decision, as per the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buday
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this is a game changer for me...

I interpreted the prompt "Place Fire in a space adjacent to a space containing Fire" as in every applicable space next to a fire token, which was turning my games of Mansions of Madness into games of Flashpoint: Fire Rescue. I had to house-rule a caveat that a place previously burned by fire couldn't be reignited. I remember thinking "I don't recall this much fire in the works of H.P Lovecraft."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shimmin
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dan from Sask wrote:
Yeah, this is a game changer for me...

I interpreted the prompt "Place Fire in a space adjacent to a space containing Fire" as in every applicable space next to a fire token, which was turning my games of Mansions of Madness into games of Flashpoint: Fire Rescue. I had to house-rule a caveat that a place previously burned by fire couldn't be reignited. I remember thinking "I don't recall this much fire in the works of H.P Lovecraft."

^^This^^

Although it did lead to an awesome end game in scenario one as we raced against the whole mansion being on fire.... and we won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.