Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B. Love
United States
oklahoma city
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reaction trigger: "When an enemy attack deals damage to guard dog: deal 1 damage to the attacking enemy."

Does this effect take place if the dog dies on the attack? I assumed not, since the reaction would occur after the attack / the grim rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brenlove wrote:
Reaction trigger: "When an enemy attack deals damage to guard dog: deal 1 damage to the attacking enemy."

Does this effect take place if the dog dies on the attack? I assumed not, since the reaction would occur after the attack / the grim rule.

You can use the guard dog's ability when you assign legal damage to it. For questions like this, check out Arkhamdb because you can usually find the answer.

The key distinction is that guard dog says "When an enemy deals damage" instead of "After". The rules say that "when" reactions resolve after the triggering condition but before its impact on the game state resolves (i.e., before the Guard Dog leaves play).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
brenlove wrote:

You can use the guard dog's ability when you assign legal damage to it. For questions like this, check out Arkhamdb because you can usually find the answer.

The key distinction is that guard dog says "When an enemy deals damage" instead of "After". The rules say that "when" reactions resolve after the triggering condition but before its impact on the game state resolves (i.e., before the Guard Dog leaves play).

So that's a 'yes', to the OP's question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to reiterate that the Grim Rule is for working out rules questions during the game. It allows you to finish the game without the rules question causing it to grind to a halt or cause you to assume a win when it should have been a loss. The Grim Rule shouldn't be cited as a way to solve rules questions post game. If the rules are vague and need further clarification then an email can be sent to FFG and the designers will issue a ruling and it will be collected in a FAQ when we get one for this game. That's been the standard operating procedure for LCGs historically.

I just don't want people leaning on the Grim Rule in rules debates post game. Especially with the LCG designers are usually pretty quick in responding to legitimate rules questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik Schwindt
Austria
Elsbethen
Salzburg
flag msg tools
badge
I am just so into Arkham Horror LCG!! Plan on buying the Mansions of Madness at next opportunity!
mbmbmbmbmb
JimBGG wrote:
Teamjimby wrote:
brenlove wrote:

So that's a 'yes', to the OP's question?

Yes, it's a yes.
The Guard Dog deals 1 damage to the enemy even if it dies due to this enemies attack.
"Thank you and good-bye, my life-saving furry old friend!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:
I'd like to reiterate that the Grim Rule is for working out rules questions during the game. It allows you to finish the game without the rules question causing it to grind to a halt or cause you to assume a win when it should have been a loss. The Grim Rule shouldn't be cited as a way to solve rules questions post game. If the rules are vague and need further clarification then an email can be sent to FFG and the designers will issue a ruling and it will be collected in a FAQ when we get one for this game. That's been the standard operating procedure for LCGs historically.

I just don't want people leaning on the Grim Rule in rules debates post game. Especially with the LCG designers are usually pretty quick in responding to legitimate rules questions.

Yes, the Grim "Rule" shouldn't be mentioned in any rules discussion. It's not really a rule, just a cool phrase that means "don't slow down the game looking up or arguing rules".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:

This is the second thread in a row I've read with people misunderstanding the "Grim Rule." This explanation is of course correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.