Wing Leader: Victories 1940-1942» Forums » Rules

Subject: Vertical up facing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question: There's nothing in the rules preventing a squadron from climbing in the vertical, right?

Example: An interceptor climbs towards a vector marker situated directly above it. Its ADC says 2MP for the climb in the current altitude band. So it changes facing, vertical up, and climbs straight up, expending 2MP (9.2.5 shortest route rule is satisfied). It retains its (rocket-like) facing until the next movement phase.

Thats legal, right? Asking because it somehow looks weird. I know, we're not at the scale of individual planes, but still...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Wagner
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing that you can do that. Remember though that you can spend that final MP to rotate in the square. This may be helpful to force a head on situation with a squadron that has a tally on you. But ending movement facing directly up seems to be a legitimate move. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to climb straight up into a vector that was directly above you if your climb rate at that altitude was 3 or S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Pete! Makes sense.
pwagn594 wrote:
Remember though that you can spend that final MP to rotate in the square. This may be helpful to force a head on situation with a squadron that has a tally on you.

I'm not sure if this is correct if you look at the v2.0 rules (although it totally makes sense tactically!) Your example depicts a less-than-180 degree rotation, which, according to the v2.0 rules, is free (8.1.1., Turning). This rule also says "During movement, squadrons can turn (i.e. change their facing) immediately before entering a square." As I interpret it, any change of facing after entering the square is not allowed unless you continue to move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Schaller
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
As I interpret it, any change of facing after entering the square is not allowed unless you continue to move.

That has always been my interpretation as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Brett Schaller wrote:
Quote:
As I interpret it, any change of facing after entering the square is not allowed unless you continue to move.

That would be the case if he hadn't had 1 MP left after climbing that one square. As it is, he can spend his last MP staying put in the square and is then allowed to change his facing by any amount. I'm fairly sure that is what Pete meant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Wagner
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bluewhite wrote:
Thanks Pete! Makes sense.
pwagn594 wrote:
Remember though that you can spend that final MP to rotate in the square. This may be helpful to force a head on situation with a squadron that has a tally on you.

I'm not sure if this is correct if you look at the v2.0 rules (although it totally makes sense tactically!) Your example depicts a less-than-180 degree rotation, which, according to the v2.0 rules, is free (8.1.1., Turning). This rule also says "During movement, squadrons can turn (i.e. change their facing) immediately before entering a square." As I interpret it, any change of facing after entering the square is not allowed unless you continue to move.

Rule 8.3.1 makes it clear that "circling" in a square (which you can do with your remaining MP) allows you to "turn" within that square. See the rule below.

8.3.1 Circling (v2.0 rules)

A squadron does not have to expend any (or all) of its MP unless required to by its mission [9.2]. A squadron that spends no MP, or expends any or all its MP in the same square, is still considered to be moving. The squadron is said to be ‘circling’.
Some mission behaviours instruct squadrons to circle [15.2.1, 15.2.2, 15.2.3]. This means that they don’t leave the square they are circling in, though they may turn within that square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Wagner
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brastias wrote:
Brett Schaller wrote:
Quote:

That would be the case if he hadn't had 1 MP left after climbing that one square. As it is, he can spend his last MP staying put in the square and is then allowed to change his facing by any amount. I'm fairly sure that is what Pete meant.

Yes that is what I meant. Thanks Martin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Brimmicombe-Wood
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
There's nothing in the rules preventing a squadron from climbing in the vertical, right?

No, nothing at all prevents it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Brimmicombe-Wood
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bluewhite wrote:

Correct. In the v2.0 rules this means that the tail of the aircraft will always point at the square you last exited from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all of you for chiming in. And thanks to Lee for an outstanding game!

pwagn594 wrote:

Rule 8.3.1 makes it clear that "circling" in a square (which you can do with your remaining MP) allows you to "turn" within that square. See the rule below.

Yes, I also missed the following part in the rulebook (8.3, v2.0, last paragraph): "A squadron can spend 1 MP to stay in its current square. Such a squadron can also turn within the square by any amount."

I take it to mean that I can choose to spend the last MP (in my example) to turn the squadron.

pilotofficerprune wrote:
bluewhite wrote:

Correct. In the v2.0 rules this means that the tail of the aircraft will always point at the square you last exited from.

Okay, but wouldn't the case discussed here (1 MP remaining, MP spent for turning) be the exception to this rule then? Or am I missing something? Still learning...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Wagner
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Circling would qualify as moving so would allow you to change your facing. If your vector was directly above, spend 2mp to climb straight up and then your last MP to change facing (or stay pointing straight up if you so desire).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Brimmicombe-Wood
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bluewhite wrote:
Okay, but wouldn't the case discussed here (1 MP remaining, MP spent for turning) be the exception to this rule then?

True dat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All clear now, guys. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.