Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is it possible to participate in the deal which costs 1 share to flip a train if you have no shares? The approach here would be to flip a train that provides 3 shares and then using one of those shares to pay for the deal.

The rules on reorganizing steps of an action to pay for the action do not clearly apply in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Maillard
France
Flers
Orne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
Is it possible to participate in the deal which costs 1 share to flip a train if you have no shares? The approach here would be to flip a train that provides 3 shares and then using one of those shares to pay for the deal.

The rules on reorganizing steps of an action to pay for the action do not clearly apply in this case.

No you can't, you have to pay first for the deal to receive the shares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree the rules could use some clarification as to how far the order of resolution options extend. In particular, can the benefits of flipping a train be used to pay for the train flip (whether via a deal, station bonus, etc.)?

It seems consistent with the rules to allow benefits to be used to pay for the train flips. This is very different than the usual type of rules I have encountered in this style of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter D
United Kingdom
london
UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These two above replies contradict each other.

Is there an official answer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michiel Hillenius
Netherlands
Hoogland (Amersfoort)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duckworp wrote:

I am nothing official, but it can't be anything different than Dylan is saying. You can do the main action and the additional action in any order you want, but you would always first have to pay before you get the benefit. Likewise for the deals. First pay what is required, than get the benefit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter D
United Kingdom
london
UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michiel wrote:
duckworp wrote:

I am nothing official, but it can't be anything different than Dylan is saying. You can do the main action and the additional action in any order you want, but you would always first have to pay before you get the benefit. Likewise for the deals. First pay what is required, than get the benefit.

But Joel is saying that the rules state: "if you want to perform an action, but do not have enough money to do so, and an effect of the action allows you to obtain the money, you can resolve that effect first, gain the money, and then pay the cost of the action." Doesn't this imply that you may use the benefit to pay the requirement of the benefit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antongiulio Dona'
Italy
Rome
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duckworp wrote:
Michiel wrote:
duckworp wrote:

But Joel is saying that the rules state: "if you want to perform an action, but do not have enough money to do so, and an effect of the action allows you to obtain the money, you can resolve that effect first, gain the money, and then pay the cost of the action." Doesn't this imply that you may use the benefit to pay the requirement of the benefit?

To flip a train is not an Action, the Action is to build a Station, to flip a train is an ability of the violet worker that says "Pay $100 to flip a train". First pay then flip. You can choose when to build the station, I mean before or after the flip so you may get shares to sell immediately to pay the building cost. Pay $100, flip, get and sell share, pay building cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veronica WYG
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
totodona wrote:
duckworp wrote:
Michiel wrote:
duckworp wrote:

To flip a train is not an Action, the Action is to build a Station, to flip a train is an ability of the violet worker that says "Pay $100 to flip a train". First pay then flip. You can choose when to build the station, I mean before or after the flip so you may get shares to sell immediately to pay the building cost. Pay $100, flip, get and sell share, pay building cost.

The general rule is
"You can resolve the effects of an action (including any additional effect from the lower part of the action space) in any order, including paying the cost to perform the main action itself."

Special abilities are not actions, nor are the deals so the rule does not apply to them.

So, both for special abilities and for deals, the "normal" order is applied. First pay, then get the benefit.

To answer the OP question, you can't flip a train that provides 3 shares and then using one of those shares to pay for the deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Geller
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Veronica WYG wrote:
totodona wrote:
duckworp wrote:
Michiel wrote:
duckworp wrote:

The general rule is
"You can resolve the effects of an action (including any additional effect from the lower part of the action space) in any order, including paying the cost to perform the main action itself."

Special abilities are not actions, nor are the deals so the rule does not apply to them.

So, both for special abilities and for deals, the "normal" order is applied. First pay, then get the benefit.

To answer the OP question, you can't flip a train that provides 3 shares and then using one of those shares to pay for the deal.

Can you use shares from the top deal to pay for the bottom deal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pacemaker 67
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Veronica WYG wrote:
The general rule is
(snip)

So...late in the game, I have $300, one white available worker and 4 trains.

I *choose* trade, but in order to choose trade, I'd prefer an Orange worker. Can I use the presumed money for performing trade to buy a orange worker to make the trade, so that I can then gain the extra $400 (important: NOT needed in order to get the orange worker)? Here I am "claiming" that getting the orange worker is part of the costs of taking the main action.

My gut says no, and the rule book *seems* to say no if the following instructions must be performed in strict order.

Rulebook wrote:

1. Take 1 Worker from your personal supply (next to your Player Board),
2. Place it on one of the 4 action spaces of your Player Board and
3. Perform the depicted main action.

When we are allowed to take some steps out of order, it calls into question whether or not other steps can be taken out of order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veronica WYG
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pacemaker67 wrote:
Veronica WYG wrote:
The general rule is
(snip)

So...late in the game, I have $300, one white available worker and 4 trains.

I *choose* trade, but in order to choose trade, I'd prefer an Orange worker. Can I use the presumed money for performing trade to buy a orange worker to make the trade, so that I can then gain the extra $400 (important: NOT needed in order to get the orange worker)? Here I am "claiming" that getting the orange worker is part of the costs of taking the main action.

My gut says no, and the rule book *seems* to say no if the following instructions must be performed in strict order.

Rulebook wrote:

1. Take 1 Worker from your personal supply (next to your Player Board),
2. Place it on one of the 4 action spaces of your Player Board and
3. Perform the depicted main action.

When we are allowed to take some steps out of order, it calls into question whether or not other steps can be taken out of order.

You cannot. The worker must be placed before performing the action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veronica WYG
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shmello50 wrote:
Veronica WYG wrote:
totodona wrote:
duckworp wrote:
Michiel wrote:
duckworp wrote:

The general rule is

Can you use shares from the top deal to pay for the bottom deal?

Yes, that you can do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan
Germany
flag msg tools
Veronica WYG wrote:

The general rule is

Sorry, I do not understand your explanation...

From my point of view "additional effect" and "special abilities" are just a synonyms for the same thing!
It's both the bonus thing you get when you place a colored worker on an action.
I read this from the rules page 5: "Each Worker always performs the main action, adding an additional effect
depending on its type" and "Therefore, when you place a specialized Worker on your Player Board, you can use it for its own special ability, or
you can use it as a non-specialized Worker and perform a promotion"

With this I apply the general rule "You can resolve the effects of an action (including any additional effect ..." to both!

This then would be allowed:
- place Turquoise worker on telegraph action
- place office
- get shares
- give away two workers
- flip to trains to get 2 times $600
- pay $400

Or this:
- place purple worker on station
- build station (worth $350)
- flip train for 3 shares
- pay the 3 shares (= $450) for the station and the train flip ($350 + $100)

If I'm wrong, then please explain the difference between "additional effect" and "special abilities" with showing an example.

Thanks Stephan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michiel Hillenius
Netherlands
Hoogland (Amersfoort)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephan, it is really as clear as Veronica says: first pay, then get the benefit. That goes for a main action as well as for an additional effect.
And basically, the rule of "first pay, then do the (additional) action," is quite logical, isn't it? It is just like any other game that I know (and I know a few :-)). It is just like in real life, when you go to a shop: first pay, then you get the benefit that you paid for. If you cannot pay, then you cannot do the (additional) action. The thing that is special in this game is that you can do the main action and the additional action in any order. But whether it is the main action or the additional action: you have to follow the logical steps: first pay, then get your benefit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan
Germany
flag msg tools
Michiel wrote:
Stephan, it is really as clear as Veronica says: first pay, then get the benefit. That goes for a main action as well as for an additional effect.

Äh... no. Am I stupid?

My rules say
"Effects resolution: You can resolve the effects of an action (including any additional effect from the lower
part of the action space) in any order, including paying the cost to perform the main action itself. For example, if
you want to perform an action, but do not have enough money to do so, and an effect of the action allows you to
obtain the money, you can resolve that effect first, gain the money, and then pay the cost of the action."

This is really not what you try to tell me - no "pay first then get benefit" for actions and additional effects.

"Pay first then get benefit" is for the deals.

Open questions... what are the so called "special abilities"? I think they are the same as additional effects (rules page 5 middle & bottom)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michiel Hillenius
Netherlands
Hoogland (Amersfoort)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll reply just once more:
in the example you mention, the effect is the obtaining of money from an additional action. That additional action had no cost. So afterwards you can do the main action with the money obtained.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Meertens
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
You gotta hang on to the trip you're on
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephan 107 wrote:

My rules say
"Effects resolution: You can resolve the effects of an action (including any additional effect from the lower
part of the action space) in any order, including paying the cost to perform the main action itself."

Veronica WYG wrote:

Special abilities are not actions [...] so the rule does not apply to them.

Those two statements contradict each other. I'm confused. First you can use the lower part of the action space to raise capital for the main action and then you can't. Which one is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veronica WYG
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry the wording is generating confusion. I'll try again

Mixing the order of resolution, and postpone the payment is only allowed for the main action. Therefore, is not allowed to postpone the payment of the cost of the special abilities (additional effect).

So, if the special ability has a cost and a benefit, this cost must be paid before getting the benefit. Then you can use the benefit to pay for the main action.

Example 1 : you perform the action "Railroad" with a grey worker.
The special ability is: take 2 shares.
You can solve the special ability first, getting 2 shares, and then use those two shares to contribute to the payment of the main action.

Example 2 : you perform the action "Build" with a purple worker.
The special ability is: pay $100 to flip a train.
You can solve the special ability first, paying $100 to flip a train (that for example, gives you $600), and then use those $600 to pay the cost of the main action.

What you cannot do is flipping the train first, and then pay $100, because the $100 are not the cost of the main action, so cannot be postponed.

Same is true for the effects of the main action (for example, First Station rewards). If the effect has a cost, that cost must be paid first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Meertens
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
You gotta hang on to the trip you're on
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Veronica, that clarifies it for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veronica WYG
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eduart wrote:
Thank you Veronica, that clarifies it for me.

Glad to be of help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.