Thayne Weston
United States
Nibley
Utah
flag msg tools
The die has been cast- Julius Caesar
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question on campaign mission structure for the base game. I have read the learn to play guide a few times and the reference book, and I think I understand it but want to make sure.

Build side mission deck as dis ribbed in book. Draw two cards and choose one for first side mission spot, and then draw a new side mission card so there is always two choices for the rebels to make.

Story mission deck is already built for the game, but I didn't understand from the reading what makes one an active choice.

Agenda missions are forced and play in the middle of the mission stage (unless the rebels choose not to play in which the imperial player gains the reward)

Thus a campaign is the intro, 5 side missions, 4 story missions, any number of forced missions and the finale

Correct?

Ps. Is this how big expansions work as well, but with their own story missions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got it mostly right. I'll mention the flaws...

Story missions will be made active by the Introductory Mission and further Story Missions.

Agenda Missions come in two types: Forced and Side. The Forced ones insert the self into the schedule of missions.

Agenda Side Mission cards are not forced and are instead added to the active Side Missions (giving you more than two temporarily). If the Rebels choose an Agenda Side Mission, they attempt to stop the Imperial player getting the reward. If they choose a different Side Mission, the Imperial Player gains the reward for the Agenda Side Mission after the Side Mission they did choose resolves.

The mini-campaigns in smaller expansions operate differently with every mission essentially being a story Mission (although these same missions can be used in full Campaigns as Side Missions). The alternative full Campaigns seen in the bigger expansions do operate similarly to the base set Campaign, but there are a few tweaks each time to make those Campaigns unique (described in their respective rule books).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex L
msg tools
mbmb
You will build a side mission deck at the start of the campaign based on how the campaign book or in the case of the base game the RRG states.

You play the first mission of the campaign and the first time you get to a side mission you draw 2 side missions. The rebels will choose one to go on. Once they finish the mission that card is removed from the active side missions and a new side mission is drawn.

The story missions will tell you within the "End of Mission" section of the mission which story mission is the new active story mission. In the core campaign, there will only ever be 1 active story mission.

Agenda missions have two types of missions. The first is an agenda side mission. This type of mission can be found on the Means of Production agenda card. This gets placed next to the 2 side missions and the rebels can choose to play any of the side missions available to them. If they do not choose the agenda mission it is discarded and the reward is automatically given to the Imperial player. If an agenda mission is chosen as the mission to go on then a new mission card is not drawn as the active side missions do not drop below 2. The second type of agenda mission is a forced mission. This type of mission can be found on the Impounded agenda card. This type of mission is not a side mission, it is automatically played by the rebels and does not take up a side or story mission spot on the campaign log. It is listed down below in the red forced mission section.

This makes the campaign as you listed: The intro mission, 4 story missions, 5 side missions, the finale mission and any forced missions

Each big box expansion thus far has featured an 11 mission campaign. The story featured in each campaign is different and has different story missions than the other campaigns. So far return to hoth has been the only campaign released so far though it appears that the US will have the next one released tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Shameless plug for my goggle sheets campaign log.

You would just have to update it and it will automatically place the correct story mission and I have a sheet specifically for side missions. So if the imperial player purchases an agenda card and puts it play it will show up as an available side missions.

Link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-i21oB5ylj6qjXMgNdQh...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noa

Oregon
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OP, have you looked at the back of the Campaign Guide? The back cover of the book has a pretty nice visual of what the campaign structure looks like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He quite clearly has looked at the back page as he got the mission counts correct, and that's the only place to glean that info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thayne Weston
United States
Nibley
Utah
flag msg tools
The die has been cast- Julius Caesar
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarifications. I knew I didn't have it exactly correct in the way I read it especially with the story and agenda missions. I believe I have it now and am ready to set up a campaign!

Thanks again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.