5 Posts

Go Cuckoo!» Forums » Variants

Subject: Cooperative Variant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Calvin Morgan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Just got this fantastic game for my youngest son (4 yo).

Although I think he really loves playing it he does have a tendancy to go into table flipping mode when things fall out of the nest.

I know we should probably be teaching the values of winning and losing gracefully but sometimes I'd just like to play a game without the stress of dealing with a raging child.

Has anyone thought about a fun and challenging cooperative variant? A shared defeat seems to be easier to take for the little ones.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Víktor Bautista i Roca

Catalonia
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
On of the authors here.

We didn't include it in the final commercial version, but when it was just a prototype we played sometimes to try to get the most eggs on the nest.

So, exactly the same rules, but a different goal. The team scored as many points as eggs you could lay at the end.

If you try it and it works with your son, tell us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting..

I assume at the end you score only the eggs still remaining above the lip of the can, thus loosing a point, as well as your turn, every time an egg falls through the nest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Morgan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the reply Viktor.

We'll certainly give that a try and I'll let you know how it goes.

Might introduce a (Cuckoo related) scale to judge our performance i.e.

0 - 2 Eggs = Try harder next time
3 - 5 Eggs = Getting better etc. etc.

Thanks again - it really is a great game. Everybody has had fun playing it; young and old!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Víktor Bautista i Roca

Catalonia
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly, you only count the eggs resting on the nest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.