Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Button Men» Forums » Rules

Subject: A question about rerolling dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Marano
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm embarrassed to say I just discovered this game and played a few rounds this past weekend with my son. I wanted to confirm/clarify one rule: if you have no legal capture, do you simply pass with no opportunity to reroll any of the dice? I ask this because we played a game where my son's three remaining dice were all 1's against my three dice of which the smallest was a six-sided die. Needless to say it was a near foregone conclusion that he was going to lose without a single additional capture. My understanding is that there is no option to reroll unless one had a legal capture available to him, correct? And does this situation happen frequently?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Each time you capture a dice you have to reroll, so when you reroll there's always the chance you get a 2 or 1. Otherwise, yeah, you have to pass.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ernest
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mb
Steve:

Glad you've discovered Button Men!

If you have no legal capture then yes, you pass and don't roll anything.

I'm not sure what you mean by "frequently," but the situation you are describing seems rare. Being unable to make any attack with three dice is very strange.

Without knowing the die sizes I'm not sure of the exact odds, but I do notice one thing: you remarked on the size of the 6-sided die, not what number was showing. Are you capturing dice based on their size, or the number showing? (It should be the latter.)

One strategy hint: on your son's previous turns, he should have taken the opportunity to use as many of those low-numbered dice as possible as part of a skill attack, to increase their values before you could take them.

I'm sorry to say there isn't much new material about Button Men online these days, but that's about to change. We are bringing back the game in a new edition in 2017.

Thanks!

James


14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Slaughter
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CheapassJames wrote:
I'm sorry to say there isn't much new material about Button Men online these days, but that's about to change. We are bringing back the game in a new edition in 2017.


4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BobSlaughter wrote:
CheapassJames wrote:
I'm sorry to say there isn't much new material about Button Men online these days, but that's about to change. We are bringing back the game in a new edition in 2017.



*looks at bank account*


Sometimes I think James' (and other game designers) release schedule is tied to my finances...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BobSlaughter wrote:
CheapassJames wrote:
I'm sorry to say there isn't much new material about Button Men online these days, but that's about to change. We are bringing back the game in a new edition in 2017.



I like to play Button Men, Brawl and also beating people up.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Marano
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CheapassJames wrote:
Steve:

Glad you've discovered Button Men!

If you have no legal capture then yes, you pass and don't roll anything.

I'm not sure what you mean by "frequently," but the situation you are describing seems rare. Being unable to make any attack with three dice is very strange.

Without knowing the die sizes I'm not sure of the exact odds, but I do notice one thing: you remarked on the size of the 6-sided die, not what number was showing. Are you capturing dice based on their size, or the number showing? (It should be the latter.)

One strategy hint: on your son's previous turns, he should have taken the opportunity to use as many of those low-numbered dice as possible as part of a skill attack, to increase their values before you could take them.

I'm sorry to say there isn't much new material about Button Men online these days, but that's about to change. We are bringing back the game in a new edition in 2017.

Thanks!

James




Thanks for the quick response and confirmation. For the record, we did play correctly. I think it was just a case of a really bad roll. Ironically, he HAD used his three dice (a d10, d8, and d4) in a skill-based move to kill my d20. And when he rerolled, he got 1's on all three dice.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
smarano wrote:
Thanks for the quick response and confirmation. For the record, we did play correctly. I think it was just a case of a really bad roll. Ironically, he HAD used his three dice (a d10, d8, and d4) in a skill-based move to kill my d20. And when he rerolled, he got 1's on all three dice.

Well, that was only a 1/320 chance of happening, so that particular situation isn't likely to happen again. Also, when you take one of his dice, you might roll low enough that he can then take one of yours.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Marano
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
James -

I can understand that you might not be able to reveal any details about the new Button Men intro in 2017, but could you give us an idea of when in 2017 we might see an announcement?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Button Men's re-release automatically becomes my most anticipated release of 2017 or any year it might appear. Great game. Can't wait to see what will be released for it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bame
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CheapassJames wrote:

I'm sorry to say there isn't much new material about Button Men online these days, but that's about to change. We are bringing back the game in a new edition in 2017.



I'm glad to be reminded of Button Men. I'd kind of forgotten about it over the years and it's a game my wife will play!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ernest
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mb
Sure, I'd be happy to!

This plan is very rough at the moment, but here it is.

"Button Men" will return in 2017 as a medium-sized boxed game containing roughly 50 characters, presented as trading cards (rather than on pin-back buttons, to keep them cheap). We plan to run a Kickstarter campaign in April-May for a Fall 2017 release.

The new core set will have a classic mob theme (in keeping with the name "Button Men") set in 1950's Fight City. The box will contain an assortment of dice, roughly 30, that lets you play most of the characters against each other (it's hard to include enough for all pairings, but we'll do the best we can). We can also do expansions as 50-card decks without dice.

This is a system reboot, so you can expect new characters comparable to Soldiers, Vampyres, Fantasy, and some other early-era sets, but perhaps with more emphasis on text-based special abilities (TBD). The core mechanics are not changing, and all the new characters will be backward-compatible.

I have signed Nate Taylor for the character art, and he might be splitting it with another artist, TBD.

We will be announcing all this goodness in our newsletter in January, so consider this an early teaser.

Glad you're looking forward to it!

James
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
James, I was looking at the Samurai dice on your site and I can't remember what is the significance of the blue background on the numbers for some of the dice. Can you refresh my memory?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Marano
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CheapassJames wrote:
Sure, I'd be happy to!

This plan is very rough at the moment, but here it is.

"Button Men" will return in 2017 as a medium-sized boxed game containing roughly 50 characters, presented as trading cards (rather than on pin-back buttons, to keep them cheap). We plan to run a Kickstarter campaign in April-May for a Fall 2017 release.

The new core set will have a classic mob theme (in keeping with the name "Button Men") set in 1950's Fight City. The box will contain an assortment of dice, roughly 30, that lets you play most of the characters against each other (it's hard to include enough for all pairings, but we'll do the best we can). We can also do expansions as 50-card decks without dice.

This is a system reboot, so you can expect new characters comparable to Soldiers, Vampyres, Fantasy, and some other early-era sets, but perhaps with more emphasis on text-based special abilities (TBD). The core mechanics are not changing, and all the new characters will be backward-compatible.

I have signed Nate Taylor for the character art, and he might be splitting it with another artist, TBD.

We will be announcing all this goodness in our newsletter in January, so consider this an early teaser.

Glad you're looking forward to it!

James


That is so cool, James. You definitely have a backer here, and I rarely do Kickstarters. I'll let my just-purchased bag of polyhedral dice tide me over while anxiously awaiting the arrival of your edition. And I'll continue to try to figure out how to play the Button Men mod on Tabletop Simulator.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Marano
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CheapassJames wrote:


We will be announcing all this goodness in our newsletter in January, so consider this an early teaser.

Glad you're looking forward to it!

James


Forgot to ask: how does one sign up for your newsletter?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smarano wrote:
CheapassJames wrote:


We will be announcing all this goodness in our newsletter in January, so consider this an early teaser.

Glad you're looking forward to it!

James


Forgot to ask: how does one sign up for your newsletter?


I can answer that one. Go to the Cheapass Games website and one of the options on the main page is to sign up. Enjoy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here:
http://cheapass.com/
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
James, I was looking at the Samurai dice on your site and I can't remember what is the significance of the blue background on the numbers for some of the dice. Can you refresh my memory?


Those dice should also have a downward pointing arrow. May be hard to see since they are behind the number. These indicate 'Focus' dice. Focus dice may be used at the start of a round to gain initiative.

Roll for initiative. If you don't have it, but have focus dice, you may turn down any number of focus dice until you do win initiative or pass. If your opponent has focus dice, he may do the same. Any dice turned down this way may not be used in the first attack.

http://www.cheapass.com/bpu/butnrulz.html#focus
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.