8 Posts

Techno Bowl: Arcade Football Unplugged» Forums » Rules

Subject: How does an airborn ball work for defenders? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mat H

Florida
msg tools
What I mean is, the only form of pass defense I see in the rulebook refers to the interception skill. In a normal game where no skills are use, can a defender do anything with an airborn ball? Are they allowed to enter the space to break up the pass at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MrButtersworth wrote:
What I mean is, the only form of pass defense I see in the rulebook refers to the interception skill. In a normal game where no skills are use, can a defender do anything with an airborn ball? Are they allowed to enter the space to break up the pass at all?

Hey Mat,

No matter the mode, each defender threatening a receiver or space that is the target of a pass produces a -1 penalty [to a maximum of -3 of course]. page 7 #4 under PASS

If there is an airborne ball and a defender moves onto the target space, then he can make a Sport Check to see if he catches and intercepts the ball. page 9

When playing in a skill mode, don't forget about the Zone Defender and Man Defender skills in addition to Interceptor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat H

Florida
msg tools
I see, I think I was looking for something that said "interception." Didn't realize when it said a player can catch the ball it was talking about both offense and defense. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My pleasure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Leist

Hagerstown
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmb
I am curious if you played around with making it harder for defenders to catch the ball, since most of the time they are on defense for a reason. We have seen quite a few interceptions by linemen and while it does happen in the NFL, more often than not, the ball is dropped.

We were toying around with some ideas to make it less of a sure thing to intercept the ball, especially by lower numbered big cubes that wouldn't normally be as adept at pulling in a pass as a quicker cube. The idea we coalesced around was that for every number below 6 that the attempted receiver is, you add a Playmaker die to the roll. However, if the attempted receiver has special skills, you take away one Playmaker die per special skill since we were thinking that usually players that would warrant special skills would typically be the better overall athletes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me start by saying that I fully support people tinkering with the rules to suit their gaming groups!meeple

Quote:
I am curious if you played around with making it harder for defenders to catch the ball...

I did, but I felt it was better in terms of both design and gameplay in the end to keep all of the loose ball rules the same. Once you start having an alternate mechanic or rule for each instance of a loose ball or Sport Check situation [fumble, hand-off, airborne ball, etc], it starts to increase the rules overhead of the game. Not a big deal if you already know how to play, but it would definitely be a deterrent to a new player trying to get into it.

Also, if you look at the chain of events that has to happen for a linemen to get an attempt at pulling down an interception, I think it's more exciting [and cleaner from a rules perspective] for him to have a pretty good chance of pulling it down- an 83.34% chance to be exact! Having it be extremely difficult for a #3 skill player to pull down the ball will result in that awesome sport's story almost never happening when he finally does put his hands on an airborne ball. The core design of the game is meant to increase the odds of something awesome, epic, or exciting occur.

You could convert it to a skill check [and I could show you how I would do it], but assuming that you apply it to the offensive players as well, it deters route passing or leading certain receivers and changes the dynamic of the game. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it will push the game further in the 'sim' direction.

Quote:
The idea we coalesced around was that for every number below 6 that the attempted receiver is, you add a Playmaker die to the roll.

Interesting. How would it work mechanically with the Sport Check?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Leist

Hagerstown
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmb
voodooink wrote:
Interesting. How would it work mechanically with the Sport Check?

Thanks for the reply. I love the game and totally respect the decision to ere on the side of epic game changing playmaking. I will give you my perspective on epic plays. All my memories of epic moments in games from my childhood, specifically sports both real and simulated, are moments that had a low probability of success. Examples like the fall away 3 pointer to win the game, the walk off hit (not homer because I didn't hit any of those except the inside the park variety), stopping Bo in Tecmo Bowl, taking Germany with Russia in Axis and Allies, etc.

My buddy is of the same opinion, that is why we thought it would be a much better memory if the odds were stacked against that lineman intercepting the ball and he still pulled it off.

As to the mechanics, the probability of not rolling doubles on a sport check are as follows, using the idea that success is all dice are different i.e. for 5 dice: 6*5*4*3*2/6^5

2 dice = 83.3%, 3 dice = 55.6%, 4 dice = 27.8%, and 5 dice (max with current player numbers) = 9.2%. It doesn't seem too bad, hopefully my math is correct. So with a special ability, like the lineman with Team Player, they would have a ~30% chance to make the catch, which seems ok to me. When you think about they wear more cumbersome pads and usually have their hands taped up, it is actually pretty difficult for them to get their hands up. Even on the fail it is an incomplete pass, so a positive for the defense.

Back to our original intent, when he actually does make the interception, it is a moment to be remembered. I understand the sim comment and that is really what we were thinking when we started noodling this, what normally happens in this situation? The lineman bats the ball down and you are happy with that result. If he intercepts it, you are out of your mind ecstatic about it.

Anyway, just thoughts and I really appreciate you taking the time to discuss it with me. Love the game and have chosen to play it over Blood Bowl repeatedly since I put together some teams. Well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotcha! I was just making sure that you were still looking for doubles in general as opposed to only looking for matches with the Playmaker die. The math on that is slightly more difficult and the percentages that it yields wouldn't be quite what you were looking for.

Quote:
Even on the fail it is an incomplete pass, so a positive for the defense.

Actually, failing the sport check would cause the ball to be scattered. It would not automatically be an incomplete pass. It also wouldn't generate an activation for the offense [since it's a sport check], but the play would still be active. Even if you were using the Pro Passing option, you would still need to make the scatter roll to determine whether it was still airborne or incomplete.

Quote:
Anyway, just thoughts and I really appreciate you taking the time to discuss it with me.

I always enjoy talking game design! If you run it for a few games, let me know how you like it. If using your house rule, you might consider allowing a coach to use a bench boost to cancel out the Playmaker dice at a 1:1 ratio as a way to push up the odds of making the interception with the cost of not having that player's cards left to activate him.

Quote:
Love the game and have chosen to play it over Blood Bowl repeatedly since I put together some teams. Well done.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.