Hide
4 Posts

The Others» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How To Sin - A Bunch of Scrubby Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Bertuglia
msg tools
Hey community, long time lurker, 1st time poster.

I played The Others for the 1st time last night and IN SPITE of myself and my friends butchering the rules we all had an amazing time.

So here's the big thing. What is the best strategy as each sin?

Gluttony seemed pretty damn brainless / borderline OP. Just go and get benefits whenever players do things basically.
Pride / Lust seem to require a bit more finessing on my part to manipulate the board so I can get maximum efficiency out of their passives.
Greed... I don't even want to look at this guy. He seems SO WEAK. Convince me otherwise PLEASE.
Envy seems to be good in corruption stories, just handing out corruption willy nilly unless heroes hurt themselves.
Sloth I'm not sure how I feel about. I WANT to like him but I'm hesitant. I'm guessing you want to hazard flood to impede progress as much as you can?
And now for big daddy Wrath. I was hoping for (all abominations / acolytes / controllers / SOMETHING ANYTHING PLEASE get FIST in combat / get SHIELD). Instead I get to run guys around the map faster.

Does anyone here have any pro tips and tricks they'd like to share? Playing the bad guy really is fun, and I really enjoy giving my friend group a hard time. Thanks everyone! CHEERS!
~Anthony (Aspiring Sin Guru)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Franke
Germany
Wildeshausen
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How To Sin - A Bunch of Srubby Questions
Okay some of my impressions from a few games. I played every sin once or twice so no in depth strategies just impressions.

Gluttony: Seems totally OP at first sight but you can only play one card per activation so there is some strategy in knowing when the best tim is to play a card. The activation tokens are nice to have but my group just didn'T use their extra activations in the same round they got them so they were pretty useless most of the game. So it felt not that OP at all after playing.

Greed: Fun to play and one of the FAITH players said that he thinks that Greed is OP. Doesn't feel that weak.

Pride and Lust are both strong and fun to play.

Envy is my favourite sin. I love the mechanism it's so thematic. And also fun to play.

Sloth is very cool because movement is key for FAITH. Slowing them down can be the key to victory in some missions.

I am with you with you opinion on Wrath. It looks so brutal and cool und I hoped that the Wrtah cres just rolled more dice in combat one more would have been fine. I didn't feel the power to be that good but the FAITH players said to me after the game that they found it to be extremely powerful.

So it is sometimes the perspective. I didn't play as FAITH very much so I can't tell how they feel from the other side but I think in the long run there will be sins fitting certain player types better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Bertuglia
msg tools
Yeah. That was a rule we botched. I was hanging on to my reaction tokens. Even THEN I wasn't burning all of them because there was only so much I was able to do in a round.
I think Greed has a VERY early game strategy where all heroes have the most (0) upgrade cards.
Sloth might work well with the corrupted firemen / Pestilence. Slow em down then force them to crawl through hell OR run through and risk more damage after already taking one.
I want to play Wrath next time, so does anyone have any suggestions for that? I'd hate to house rule him into the badass I want him to be so soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Franke
Germany
Wildeshausen
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greed has some pretty cool cards that make him cool even after the early game and the power works all game long. Yes it only works against the guys with the most equipment but even so it is not that weak.

Perhaps just try Wrath out a few games and see if he is really that weak. Sometimes powers seem to be weaker on paper than in reality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.