Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Why Marvel and DC suck. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

So I do enjoy most comic book movies, but I don't LOVE any of them (except The Dark Knight, which transcends genre). Nor do I read comics, at least not mainstream ones. Why? There are no stakes. Dead characters come back over and over and over again. I can't get invested in the good guys, or be happy in victory over the bad guys. No matter what happens, they'll be back, both good and bad.

The "because it's made for kids" angle doesn't really work, because plenty of good media made for children DOES have stakes. Lots of major characters die in Harry Potter, Star Wars, and The Hobbit, and they STAY DEAD.

And let's be honest, with stuff like Deadpool and the fact that most comic book movies are PG-13 these days, saying it's made for "kids" is kind of disingenuous. Young adults, maybe, but not true children.

So please, internet, tell me why my opinion is misguided.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
The Hobbit, and they STAY DEAD.


So about LotR...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
The Hobbit, and they STAY DEAD.


So about LotR...


I didn't mention LotR, which was for adults and not children.

In The Hobbit, several of the Dwarves do not return from the journey.

Bringing up LotR doesn't exactly disprove my point anyway, as there is only one character in LotR that comes back from "death", not literally ALL of them as in Marven and DC comics.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Which LoTR character died and came back?

Yes, I know you mean Gandalf, but where did he die? You've read the books and know who and what he was, right? And what actually happened, yes?

Anyway...

I despise Marvel and DC comics as well (but I enjoy the movies, mind you), but not for the reasons given.

They have no imagination. Oh sure, super powered smashy smashy, but beyond that? They can't (or won't) do it. Nor will they examine, despite the 90s onward, what underlies their fixation with super-heroes. And worst of all - they won't end anything. Sure, things get cancelled, but every single thing from Marvel and DC is designed to go on forever.

You want better comics? Read stuff from almost anyone else (Dark Horse, IDW, Avatar, Image, Vertigo [yes, I know, DC imprint, but sufficiently separate and different], these are but the names I can bring to mind at a moment's notice). You want comics with interesting ideas? Read stuff from outside the US (and there's plenty of it, if you care to look for it).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an Image Comics fan. I can't get into Marvel or DC because they are generally boring and shallow.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked a lot of the old Crossgen stuff, but tbey folded before the major story arcs could complete, so mostly exercise in frustration.

My intro to supers was via cartoons and gaming not collecting comics, so while I like many of the characters and some of their backstories, not really into the books. Across the board (all publishers) the more recent titles seem to have too much graphic violence, "grittiness", language, etc. since the 90s.

I also have eclectic tastes so the comics I do like tend to not last (most recent discovery was Tales of Honor).

edit: can't type today
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

So I do enjoy most comic book movies, but I don't LOVE any of them (except The Dark Knight, which transcends genre). Nor do I read comics, at least not mainstream ones. Why? There are no stakes. Dead characters come back over and over and over again. I can't get invested in the good guys, or be happy in victory over the bad guys. No matter what happens, they'll be back, both good and bad.

The "because it's made for kids" angle doesn't really work, because plenty of good media made for children DOES have stakes. Lots of major characters die in Harry Potter, Star Wars, and The Hobbit, and they STAY DEAD.

And let's be honest, with stuff like Deadpool and the fact that most comic book movies are PG-13 these days, saying it's made for "kids" is kind of disingenuous. Young adults, maybe, but not true children.

So please, internet, tell me why my opinion is misguided. ;)
Generally not sure it is. By the way, which major character died in the original trilogy and did not come back?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Portage
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
The "because it's made for kids" angle doesn't really work, because plenty of good media made for children DOES have stakes. Lots of major characters die in Harry Potter, Star Wars, and The Hobbit, and they STAY DEAD.

I thought it was just about keeping characters open. Why kill off characters when they can get more story from them? Comic books are really the only media that thrives on continuing long term.

Star wars I think is the only one able to get away with killing major characters because of its scale.
For argument's sake I don't think any deaths in harry potter were main characters.

I'm not a true comic reader so my opinions a little skewed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

The Dark Knight, which transcends genre
, but don't
Shampoo4you wrote:
STAY DEAD
. Batman bores me most of all. Love to see a Cerebus movie, and waiting for the next Tintin!

And "suck" is so blaise now. Choose a different word to voice your vague displeasure with stuff.
Poll
Opinions for a new word for "suck" which has become soooo blaise now...
The new "suck" is
Blast
Veneer
Vimeo
Face
Dyson
Pulsate
Hijack
Blur
Hashtag
Pound sign
Yahoo
Gender-neutral
Something else below
Hey, stop hijacking this thread!
      11 answers
Poll created by Reprint


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

So I do enjoy most comic book movies, but I don't LOVE any of them (except The Dark Knight, which transcends genre). Nor do I read comics, at least not mainstream ones. Why? There are no stakes. Dead characters come back over and over and over again. I can't get invested in the good guys, or be happy in victory over the bad guys. No matter what happens, they'll be back, both good and bad.

The "because it's made for kids" angle doesn't really work, because plenty of good media made for children DOES have stakes. Lots of major characters die in Harry Potter, Star Wars, and The Hobbit, and they STAY DEAD.

And let's be honest, with stuff like Deadpool and the fact that most comic book movies are PG-13 these days, saying it's made for "kids" is kind of disingenuous. Young adults, maybe, but not true children.

So please, internet, tell me why my opinion is misguided.
Generally not sure it is. By the way, which major character died in the original trilogy and did not come back?


Original trilogy of what? Star Wars? You mean characters like Obiwan, Yoda, Vader, and the Emperor, to name a few?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
The "because it's made for kids" angle doesn't really work, because plenty of good media made for children DOES have stakes. Lots of major characters die in Harry Potter, Star Wars, and The Hobbit, and they STAY DEAD.

I thought it was just about keeping characters open. Why kill off characters when they can get more story from them? Comic books are really the only media that thrives on continuing long term.

Star wars I think is the only one able to get away with killing major characters because of its scale.
For argument's sake I don't think any deaths in harry potter were main characters.


They can come up with new, original characters. What they often do is the worst possible solution, they kill off characters, replace them (often taking the exact same name and costume), and then they'll resurrect the dead character anyway so that both the old and new exist. Wtf.

As for Harry Potter, Dumbledore, Voldemort, and Snape are not big enough to be major characters enough for you? Not to mention Dobby, Weasley twins, Hedwig, Sirius, Lupin...etc.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Portage
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

... not big enough to be major characters enough for you?

no, to be impactful as a superhero dieing it would have to be harry, herminie, or ron. And do you think the deaths that were there would have happen if harry potter would have to continue like comics do?

No one wants new superheros. They will ether be considered stupid/weak to the older ones or simply rip-offs. I think the best they can do is come up with new universes so they can screw with whatever using similar preexisting contest.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

... not big enough to be major characters enough for you?

no, to be impactful as a superhero dieing it would have to be harry, herminie, or ron. And do you think the deaths that were there would have happen if harry potter would have to continue like comics do?

No one wants new superheros. They will ether be considered stupid/weak to the older ones or simply rip-offs. I think the best they can do is come up with new universes so they can screw with whatever using similar preexisting contest.


You can't give Marvel/DC a pass for not killing literally hundreds if not thousands of characters and then fault Harry Potter for not killing one of the three mains. Dumbledore, Snape, and Voldemort would be on par with pretty much any superhero/supervillain dying permanently. Voldemort IS the biggest bad in that universe, for instance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Portage
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
on par with pretty much any superhero/supervillain dying permanently.

I think I can call that the main phrase I can say is so unrelateable its wrong. The fact is that any superhero is the same level as primary to the story as harry would be because the comics have to keep coming out with winning stories so consistently. It bumps up the importance of each individual character that much. Harry potter will not continue like comic stories have/ are demanded to.

I think your just being too harsh on comics. They got a massive surge on their main universes as they just need to figure out how to make more in depth stories or better spread the acceptance of multiple and different story arks. People just have such a massive need for everything to be one smooth liner plot yet wanting more and more from it. Heck, judging from your avatar you know crazy demand people had to connect the dots between zelda games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
on par with pretty much any superhero/supervillain dying permanently.

I think I can call that the main phrase I can say is so unrelateable its wrong. The fact is that any superhero is the same level as primary to the story as harry would be because the comics have to keep coming out with winning stories so consistently. It bumps up the importance of each individual character that much. Harry potter will not continue like comic stories have/ are demanded to.

I think your just being too harsh on comics. They got a massive surge on their main universes as they just need to figure out how to make more in depth stories or better spread the acceptance of multiple and different story arks. People just have such a massive need for everything to be one smooth liner plot yet wanting more and more from it. Heck, judging from your avatar you know crazy demand people had to connect the dots between zelda games.


Dumbledore dying was maybe not on the level of a Batman or Superman, but pretty much any other singular hero. He was huge in both popularity and importance.

Voldemort dying is on par with ANY supervillain dying permanently.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

So I do enjoy most comic book movies, but I don't LOVE any of them (except The Dark Knight, which transcends genre). Nor do I read comics, at least not mainstream ones. Why? There are no stakes. Dead characters come back over and over and over again. I can't get invested in the good guys, or be happy in victory over the bad guys. No matter what happens, they'll be back, both good and bad.

The "because it's made for kids" angle doesn't really work, because plenty of good media made for children DOES have stakes. Lots of major characters die in Harry Potter, Star Wars, and The Hobbit, and they STAY DEAD.

And let's be honest, with stuff like Deadpool and the fact that most comic book movies are PG-13 these days, saying it's made for "kids" is kind of disingenuous. Young adults, maybe, but not true children.

So please, internet, tell me why my opinion is misguided.


I think the no real stakes thing is really valid and frustrating at times. I haven't been reading any superhero books in several years now. I have always been a "Make mine Marvel" guy. For me the thing I *do* like about comics is the art form itself, sequential art and I've typically enjoyed the characters. But yes, the no real stakes is a frustrating aspect to it for sure. I guess you can try and condense it down to stakes in any small particular story line to try and make it worthwhile.

There ARE comics with real stakes if you like, The Walking Dead, The Sandman (to some extent). I guess to enjoy super heroey stuff I think you just need to sort of go full on suspension of disbelief and have fun with the basic premise.

*shrug*
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Portage
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just not convinced your seeing the imbalance that exists between the two scales. Sure everyone liked dumbledore but by no means a main character. Plus the harry potter series doesn't really have a time without him.
Trying to draw a line calling some superheroes primary and others not just doesn't work the same as its just a matter of time before they are the main characters of their own storyline. The show agents of shield I think proves that as its basically a show about side characters of side characters.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

So I do enjoy most comic book movies, but I don't LOVE any of them (except The Dark Knight, which transcends genre). Nor do I read comics, at least not mainstream ones. Why? There are no stakes. Dead characters come back over and over and over again. I can't get invested in the good guys, or be happy in victory over the bad guys. No matter what happens, they'll be back, both good and bad.

The "because it's made for kids" angle doesn't really work, because plenty of good media made for children DOES have stakes. Lots of major characters die in Harry Potter, Star Wars, and The Hobbit, and they STAY DEAD.

And let's be honest, with stuff like Deadpool and the fact that most comic book movies are PG-13 these days, saying it's made for "kids" is kind of disingenuous. Young adults, maybe, but not true children.

So please, internet, tell me why my opinion is misguided. ;)
Generally not sure it is. By the way, which major character died in the original trilogy and did not come back?


Original trilogy of what? Star Wars? You mean characters like Obiwan, Yoda, Vader, and the Emperor, to name a few?
Obiwan and Yoda do come back (Obiwan is in all three films), and the other two only die at the end (and one gets a classic serial cliff hanger came from from (what you assume is) the dead without explanation anyway). Indeed the whole point (I thought) of Obiwan was that to a force user no one is ever dead.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Watson
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
10-15 years ago I was buying about 25 titles a month and I would say 20 were from Marvel/D.C. Then all they would do is MAJOR EVENTS. Every issue had every character and was for the fate of the world. It burnt me out. Haven't bought a new comic in years. I still get a TPB every now and again and find some missing back issues but untill they stop the MAJOR EVENTS all the time... I probably won't go back.

PS, your point is also valid. They bring back everyone. (Except Uncle Ben Parker and Martha Wayne... but time will tell...)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

So I do enjoy most comic book movies, but I don't LOVE any of them (except The Dark Knight, which transcends genre). Nor do I read comics, at least not mainstream ones. Why? There are no stakes. Dead characters come back over and over and over again. I can't get invested in the good guys, or be happy in victory over the bad guys. No matter what happens, they'll be back, both good and bad.

The "because it's made for kids" angle doesn't really work, because plenty of good media made for children DOES have stakes. Lots of major characters die in Harry Potter, Star Wars, and The Hobbit, and they STAY DEAD.

And let's be honest, with stuff like Deadpool and the fact that most comic book movies are PG-13 these days, saying it's made for "kids" is kind of disingenuous. Young adults, maybe, but not true children.

So please, internet, tell me why my opinion is misguided.
Generally not sure it is. By the way, which major character died in the original trilogy and did not come back?


Original trilogy of what? Star Wars? You mean characters like Obiwan, Yoda, Vader, and the Emperor, to name a few?
Obiwan and Yoda do come back (Obiwan is in all three films), and the other two only die at the end (and one gets a classic serial cliff hanger came from from (what you assume is) the dead without explanation anyway). Indeed the whole point (I thought) of Obiwan was that to a force user no one is ever dead.


They come back, very briefly, as GHOSTS. They are still dead. Because, you know, they're ghosts. Or the galaxy far far away's equivalent of a force ghost, or whatever.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not wrong. Marvel is especially guilty of making terrible movies (see: The Marvel Cinematic Universe). DC tries way way way too hard to make their movies serious and gritty and forgets that Superhero movies should be, at their core, fun.

Spider-Man is the only hero who consistently gets it right, and Watchmen is the only superhero movie to pull off the serious angle well.

The Dark Knight did pretty good with the serious angle, the problem is it has 2 other, god awful, movies pulling it down (Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises).

Deadpool showed that there is hope for Marvel. It did Superhero right. Perfect balance of fun, action, and witty, yet cheesey, dialogue, and just a small hint of seriousness.

Marvel doesn't need to make every movie R-Rated, but they need to understand what made Deadpool, and the Spider-Man movies, work.

I also think we need a lot more comic book movies that aren't based on Superhero comics. And if we must stay in the Superhero realm, let's explore some stuff outside the ones that have been done to death. Can we get Transmetropolitan, The Pro, Maus, The Goon, Bone, etc. There's so much out there, and instead we make another Spider-Man, another Captain America, another Avengers...I mean, come on!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
You're not wrong. Marvel is especially guilty of making terrible movies (see: The Marvel Cinematic Universe). DC tries way way way too hard to make their movies serious and gritty and forgets that Superhero movies should be, at their core, fun.

Spider-Man is the only hero who consistently gets it right, and Watchmen is the only superhero movie to pull off the serious angle well.

The Dark Knight did pretty good with the serious angle, the problem is it has 2 other, god awful, movies pulling it down (Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises).

Deadpool showed that there is hope for Marvel. It did Superhero right. Perfect balance of fun, action, and witty, yet cheesey, dialogue, and just a small hint of seriousness.

Marvel doesn't need to make every movie R-Rated, but they need to understand what made Deadpool, and the Spider-Man movies, work.

I also think we need a lot more comic book movies that aren't based on Superhero comics. And if we must stay in the Superhero realm, let's explore some stuff outside the ones that have been done to death. Can we get Transmetropolitan, The Pro, Maus, The Goon, Bone, etc. There's so much out there, and instead we make another Spider-Man, another Captain America, another Avengers...I mean, come on!



I agree with you, but you're talking about the Tobey Maguire Spiderman movies right? Not the atrocious new ones?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

So I do enjoy most comic book movies, but I don't LOVE any of them (except The Dark Knight, which transcends genre). Nor do I read comics, at least not mainstream ones. Why? There are no stakes. Dead characters come back over and over and over again. I can't get invested in the good guys, or be happy in victory over the bad guys. No matter what happens, they'll be back, both good and bad.

The "because it's made for kids" angle doesn't really work, because plenty of good media made for children DOES have stakes. Lots of major characters die in Harry Potter, Star Wars, and The Hobbit, and they STAY DEAD.

And let's be honest, with stuff like Deadpool and the fact that most comic book movies are PG-13 these days, saying it's made for "kids" is kind of disingenuous. Young adults, maybe, but not true children.

So please, internet, tell me why my opinion is misguided. ;)
Generally not sure it is. By the way, which major character died in the original trilogy and did not come back?


Original trilogy of what? Star Wars? You mean characters like Obiwan, Yoda, Vader, and the Emperor, to name a few?
Obiwan and Yoda do come back (Obiwan is in all three films), and the other two only die at the end (and one gets a classic serial cliff hanger came from from (what you assume is) the dead without explanation anyway). Indeed the whole point (I thought) of Obiwan was that to a force user no one is ever dead.


They come back, very briefly, as GHOSTS. They are still dead. Because, you know, they're ghosts. Or the galaxy far far away's equivalent of a force ghost, or whatever.
Not dead in the same way assay Carrie Fisher. Dead in a comic book "it's OK they are not really dead dead" kind of way.

At least Disney had the courage (as well as common sense) to actually Kill kill the characters in Rogue 1.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

So I do enjoy most comic book movies, but I don't LOVE any of them (except The Dark Knight, which transcends genre). Nor do I read comics, at least not mainstream ones. Why? There are no stakes. Dead characters come back over and over and over again. I can't get invested in the good guys, or be happy in victory over the bad guys. No matter what happens, they'll be back, both good and bad.

The "because it's made for kids" angle doesn't really work, because plenty of good media made for children DOES have stakes. Lots of major characters die in Harry Potter, Star Wars, and The Hobbit, and they STAY DEAD.

And let's be honest, with stuff like Deadpool and the fact that most comic book movies are PG-13 these days, saying it's made for "kids" is kind of disingenuous. Young adults, maybe, but not true children.

So please, internet, tell me why my opinion is misguided.
Generally not sure it is. By the way, which major character died in the original trilogy and did not come back?


Original trilogy of what? Star Wars? You mean characters like Obiwan, Yoda, Vader, and the Emperor, to name a few?
Obiwan and Yoda do come back (Obiwan is in all three films), and the other two only die at the end (and one gets a classic serial cliff hanger came from from (what you assume is) the dead without explanation anyway). Indeed the whole point (I thought) of Obiwan was that to a force user no one is ever dead.


They come back, very briefly, as GHOSTS. They are still dead. Because, you know, they're ghosts. Or the galaxy far far away's equivalent of a force ghost, or whatever.
Not dead in the same way assay Carrie Fisher. Dead in a comic book "it's OK they are not really dead dead" kind of way.

At least Disney had the courage (as well as common sense) to actually Kill kill the characters in Rogue 1.


People who are ghosts are still dead, man. Ghost Obi-wan did not come back to fight Vader or interact in the world in any way except to give some (disregarded) advice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Most comics (with more exceptions nowadays) have always been set up more like soap operas, but with a single main character and without the problem of needing actors to stay alive/employed. This has both good and bad points, but it does mean that endings never really happen, and even great comic writers often reflect this with rather uninteresting endings. This is made worse with the big two, since the characters have been around so long and they are such bi IPs that they aren't going anywhere.

This has carried on to the films. The Dark Knight (I mean film but actually it applies to the comic as well) doesn't really end, and Rises more raps stuff up more than giving it some real ending. Part of this is because these characters weren't really designed with endings in mind.

What is a good ending for a superhero story? You can look at Greek myths, or even something like Conan, as probably a reasonable comparison. They don't really end either. What can you do? It's either death or retirement for a happily ever after for the superhero, and both are kind of unsatisfying.

That said, the lack of deaths in particular don't really bother me. It's an overused plot point in lots of things anyway, and that we all 'know' no main character will die is no more an issue for story than we 'know' the villain will ultimately loose in nearly all action movies or the main couple will get together in a romantic comedy. It's an plot issue you have to work with (or subvert), and that can be done.

One of my favourite comics this year was the Vision. It was a great story. But I never thought the Vision was going to die at the end. Hell, this story almost literally told you what the ending was in the first issue. Still a great story.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.