Popular Tags: [View All]
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two similar questions. The first I think is pretty straightforward.

Let's say the location says to reveal two Dark Arts cards, but there is only one left in the deck. Since they are revealed and resolved one at a time, I'm assuming the proper way to handle this situation is to draw the last card, resolve it, then shuffle the entire deck -- including the card just resolved. That seems odd to me, though, since you may end up drawing the same card twice in a row. Granted, some cards already have duplicates, so it isn't that big of a deal. So, am I right that you would shuffle the first Dark Arts card with the rest of the deck before drawing the second Dark Arts card?

Next question is about player cards. I think I'm getting tripped up because most deck-builders have you play cards directly to the discard pile. If I understand the rules correctly (and I'm not sure that I do) you do not put cards in your discard pile when you play them. Instead, they are "in limbo," so to speak. They aren't in your hand and they aren't in the discard pile after they have been played. This matters because I'm trying to figure out what happens if I have played a few cards, then play a card that has me draw a card but my deck is empty. Do the cards I played earlier in the round get shuffled into the new deck? Or do they stay "in limbo" because they don't get put into the discard pile until step 4.4 (page 10)?

Quote:
Place all cards played this turn in your discard pile. You cannot save cards for your next turn.

See, this part of page 10 confuses me. The first sentence seems to support my "in limbo" interpretation, but then the second sentence throws me for a loop. The first sentence is talking about cards played that are no longer in your hand, but the second one is talking about unplayed cards. It doesn't specifically say that unplayed cards go to the discard pile at this point. In fact, I can't find a place that says, "At the end of your turn, you must discard any cards you have not played," but that seems to be the intent of the rules. It just bothers me that "You cannot save cards for your next turn" follows a sentence about played cards and does not specifically mention unplayed cards. So I think I don't shuffle cards played this turn and I'm just getting distracted by an unrelated rule in the same step.

Okay, now that I've muddled the questions with my own thoughts, let me answer them myself and you all tell me if I'm wrong or right.

1) If a single Dark Arts card remains in the deck when I am to reveal and resolve 2 of them, the first one that I resolve gets shuffled into the deck before drawing the second.

2) If I play a card that lets me draw, but I have no cards left in my deck, cards I played earlier in the round do not get shuffled into the new deck because they do not enter the discard pile until the end of my turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Has me questioning my thoughts. Having just marathoned through games 1-6 (it's 2am so we decided to sleep before doing game 7) I think we played it as you stated, which feels wrong. I would save the event card to the side while shuffling the rest, but I can see an argument for your way.

2) I believe they exist "in-limbo" but my wife feels that are discarded when played. Otherwise what is to stop you from an potential infinite loop if you have a bunch of draw card cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Roberts
United Kingdom
Southport
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes, the card played should be included in the shuffle.

p.6. "One at a time, reveal and resolve Dark Arts events, placing the cards in a discard pile beside the stack."

and

"If the Dark Arts stack runs out, shuffle the resolved cards to form a new stack."

2) The played cards don't hit the discard pile until the end of the round.

p.7 "As you play out cards, set them to the side to indicate that they have been played."

p.10 end of turn sequence step 4 "Place all cards played this turn in your discard pile."

So if your deck runs out due to having to draw extra cards during your turn, this will happen before the played cards hit the discard pile and they should not be included in the shuffle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right on both counts.

1. You would reveal and play the last Dark Arts card, then shuffle the entire Dark Arts pile and then reveal/play another card.

2. Cards played are indeed "in limbo" until the end of your turn when they are placed into your discard pile along with any unplayed cards from your hand. If any played card actions require you to draw additional cards and you have none in your draw pile and thus are forced to shuffle your discard pile, your "limbo" played cards will not be included in that shuffle.

I'm guessing you have never played any of the Legendary deckbuilder games, as this "limbo" area is the same mechanic they use for playing cards.

In essence, you have four locations where a card you own can physically be at any given point: your draw pile, your hand, your "limbo" played cards, and your discard pile. The phrase "your deck" encompasses all four locations together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Budgernaut wrote:
I think I'm getting tripped up because most deck-builders have you play cards directly to the discard pile.

I've played a lot of deck builders and none of them have you play to the discard pile.

Dominion, Star Realms, Core Worlds, A Few Acres of Snow, Heroes of Metro City, and more, all have you play cards to a tableau or to somewhere "in play", mostly so you cannot play the same card more than once in the same turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
Budgernaut wrote:
I think I'm getting tripped up because most deck-builders have you play cards directly to the discard pile.

I've played a lot of deck builders and none of them have you play to the discard pile.

Dominion, Star Realms, Core Worlds, A Few Acres of Snow, Heroes of Metro City, and more, all have you play cards to a tableau or to somewhere "in play", mostly so you cannot play the same card more than once in the same turn.

You're right. My primary deck-builder is Rune Age, and since you mostly play cards to combat, I didn't realize that it was similar to this game's "in play" condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Budgernaut wrote:
1) If a single Dark Arts card remains in the deck when I am to reveal and resolve 2 of them, the first one that I resolve gets shuffled into the deck before drawing the second.

It seems that the rules have you discard the first DA card before drawing the next. In at least some cases, I would willfully violate that rule, and keep the first card out while reshuffling. The reason? Because some DA cards have lasting effects.

It's hard enough to remember that we can't heal this turn when the DA card is still visible. It would be nearly impossible to remember if the card has been shuffled away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.