Subject: understanding movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Brown
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
Before I play for the first time, I am hoping to have the movement rules clarified for me. I read the movement rule that states "Move up to 2 different units you control from one territory to one adjacent territory."

Some of the posts I have read seem to imply that 2 different units can be moved to different territories. Perhaps I am misunderstanding those posts.....

So, is the rule as simple as it seems....move up to 2 units from one location to one other location, in effect decreasing the number of units on one (and only one) location and increasing the number of units on one (and only one)other (adjacent) location?

Thanks for any info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MICHAEL
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You choose a unit. You move it. You then pick a different unit. You move it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simo Ahava
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Treat the movements as separate. You first choose one unit in a territory (or home base), and move it to an adjacent territory. Then you choose another unit in a territory (or home base), and move it to an adjacent territory.

Units that move do not need to be in the same starting territory (or home base), nor do they need to move to the same adjacent territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
SolomonGrundy wrote:

So, is the rule as simple as it seems....move up to 2 units from one location to one other location, in effect decreasing the number of units on one (and only one) location and increasing the number of units on one (and only one)other (adjacent) location?

This is not correct.

I think you might be overthinking this one.

In essence, pick one unit anywhere on the board, move it to a territory adjacent to the one it started in. Then pick another unit anywhere on the board, move it to a territory adjacent to the one it was in. Movement over!

These units do not have to start or finish in the same territory as each other. You are just picking any two units anywhere, and moving each of them one space.

Edit: ninja'd 2x!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brown
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
For clarification:

a) Choose a unit and move it...check
b) choose a second unit (from the same original territory?)and move it (to the same destination as the last unit?)

The way the rule is worded seems to imply a different outcome to what posts here are stating...hey thanks for the quick reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MICHAEL
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For clarification, movement is actually as simple as I stated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brown
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
ok got it...makes sense...works the way I hoped it did....the wording is a bit ambiguous when one (like me) overthinks it I guess.

Thanks everyone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SolomonGrundy wrote:
For clarification:

a) Choose a unit and move it...check
b) choose a second unit (from the same original territory?)and move it (to the same destination as the last unit?)

The way the rule is worded seems to imply a different outcome to what posts here are stating...hey thanks for the quick reply.

Again, this is wrong.

b) choose a second unit (from anywhere) and move it to any adjacent territory.

You are reading too much into the rule. It is simply an instruction to move 2 units one space each. These units do not have to start or finish in the same space as each other.

Edit: ninja'd again!

By the way, this is a fantastic game, hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:

laugh You should know by now: It's the Tao of the Scythe forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Scythe rulebook is extremely well written, and I was initially surprised by the OP's confusion over so basic and fundamental a directive. But, focusing on the text alone, I can see his point.

"Move up to 2 different units you control from one territory to one adjacent territory."

Why is the word "one" in that sentence at all? That's the trigger for the overthinking. It would seem more natural for the rule to be "Move up to 2 different units you control to an adjacent territory." (Because it should be obvious that they move FROM their starting location.) If we want to get extra precise, then perhaps: "Move up to 2 different units you control to a territory adjacent to its starting territory."

I can see where textual difficulties can creep in, because you are talking about two different units. But I don't see what the qualifier "one" in the original accomplishes? No one will think you can move a unit FROM "two (or more)" territories -- that doesn't need clarification. Nor can a single unit move to TWO (or more) locations.

I suspect that the intent is to clarify that while (up to) 2 units may be moved (in one action), those moves are sequential rather than simultaneous. This is important in situations where control is an issue -- the first move can establish control, of a tunnel or village for instance, which can make them eligible to be considered "adjacent" for special movement purposes (by the second unit to move).

So, my final nomination for alternative text for this rule would be: "Move up to 2 different units you control, one after the other, from each unit's starting location to a territory adjacent to it."

P.S. Am I technically correct that "starting location" is better than territory because a unit can move from home base (which is not a "territory") -- after retreating there, for instance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
reverendunclebastard wrote:

laugh You should know by now: It's the Tao of the Scythe forum.

For the longest time I was the fastest ninja in these-here Scythe forums, but I have been usurped by some young whippersnappers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Parker

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shalavar wrote:

This works easiest I think...especially in understanding the new factions movement (green I think...Irish?) ability where the Mechs can move into an area controlled by their other units...thus allowing some way to make up for not having a +1 speed for their mech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brown
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
Hi Randall.....you nailed the confusion perfectly....the word "one" just as you said. Nonetheless, I am glad you and the others have helped clear it up for me. Thanks.

Looking forward to my first play. YEAH!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MysteryMan_007_007 wrote:
shalavar wrote:

This works easiest I think...especially in understanding the new factions movement (green I think...Irish?) ability where the Mechs can move into an area controlled by their other units...thus allowing some way to make up for not having a +1 speed for their mech.

For clarity the Albion ability, when unlocked, only allows them to move to spaces with their workers, not mechs or characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shalavar wrote:

One quibble. The last two sentences should be replaced with "You may then choose a different unit and move it."

It's important to indicate that the second movement is optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter Maxwell
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Kontor that Counting Office!
badge
Kontor that Counting Office!
mbmbmbmbmb
randiv wrote:
But, focusing on the text alone, I can see his point.

Absolutely, and I was pleased to see someone give such a thorough, respectful response. Over the course of the 32-page rulebook, this is the rule I had the most nagging doubts about. In fact, in my first game, every time I moved units from two separate territories I half expected someone to shout, "Hold it! They can only be moved from ONE territory, like it says in the rule book!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.