Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per. E
Sweden
Falkenberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Love the thread

You mention every models place on your shelf, do we ever get a picture?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Webster
United Kingdom
Leeds
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent reviews. Thank you.

It seems a shame Poots is against taking the KS opportunity to apply a bit of spit and polish to his expansions where required.
(I guess he maybe feels it would be unfair to people who already bought them??)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam T
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I wasn't sure if you would prefer it here or in the related guide, so I decided to post here to keep your guide clean. Spoilering, for those not interested in learning about the Manhunter.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
On the manhunter review, two things. First, I think you undervalue crimson candy in relation to the manhunter's heart, but that's a personal opinion. I'd much rather have the innovation and the effects it gives.

Second, I don't think the Hunter's Tool's event destroys the toolbelt. I was pretty sure you get the toolbelt, and also do the Hunter's Tools story even when you defeat a level 3 manhunter. Admittedly, I don't have the book in front of me, so I could be wrong.

Fun review to read! Look forward to the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Adams
United States
Concord
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Be aware that all it takes is one lemon-faced do-gooder to point out to the powers that be that you aren't supposed to create a thread that exists to link to other threads for this to go bye-bye. At least, that's the excuse they gave me. Looking forward to reading your reviews on the crapper later, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italic Font
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedLion0 wrote:
I wasn't sure if you would prefer it here or in the related guide, so I decided to post here to keep your guide clean. Spoilering, for those not interested in learning about the Manhunter.

On the manhunter review, two things. First, I think you undervalue crimson candy in relation to the manhunter's heart, but that's a personal opinion. I'd much rather have the innovation and the effects it gives.

Second, I don't think the Hunter's Tool's event destroys the toolbelt. I was pretty sure you get the toolbelt, and also do the Hunter's Tools story even when you defeat a level 3 manhunter. Admittedly, I don't have the book in front of me, so I could be wrong.

Fun review to read! Look forward to the others.

You're right! On the tool belt I wrote that part without the book to hand, already fixed it. I 100% will not ever sacrifice the Hunter's Heart however, I'm at the stage where I build Green Armor pieces on the regular and that the gloves are nice and easy to make plus super useful vs Knights.

Algard wrote:
Love the thread

You mention every models place on your shelf, do we ever get a picture?

You'd just see a pile of unpainted plastic I'm afraid. When it comes to games I play with my mates and he's rather good at painting so no reason to paint mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam T
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Ah. I don't have a gorm or a spidicules, so I have forever given up on building green armor. I could see its value if that is your goal, however.

One other thing I forgot to include before.
Double check the gear card for the manhunter hat. I don't think it is tagged as armor, which should you can wear another helmet with it. With that, and also counting as both leather and rawhide armor for set completion, it creates some interesting utility situations, like wearing a lion helmet with your leather armor or something like that. Don't have the cards in front of me either. Worth noting! Can you tell I love this expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italic Font
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Manhunter and Spidicules reviews are now up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B.
msg tools
Thanks for those, any chance to get the DBK and DK up before the Kickstarter ends?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italic Font
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, unfortunately not as I only have time to write 1 or 2 more of these reviews before the campaign ends and I've already started the Slender Man one. Also, the DK review will probably be the single longest review just because of how good People of the Stars is as a campaign and the DBK will also clock in at 4000 to 5000 words because of how good it is.

I can tell you that I rate the DK about a 7.5 to 8/10 and the DBK 10/10 however (and the DBK would get an 11/10 like the Sunstalker if we just had a People of the Dung campaign).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B.
msg tools
So if I get an expansion for the campaign you would suggest the DK and foe the overall package the Sunstalker? And you consider the DBK the best non campaign expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Yarab
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for taking your time to write these reviews. You're an excellent writer BTW.

As someone who is a backer of the 1.5 KS and has yet to play the game (even though I've read the rule book... twice, and already own the Dragon King and Flower Knight) your insight is very much appreciated. And I don't care about the spoilers because by the time I receive my copy, I will have completely forgotten 98% of the spoilers.

Can't wait for the next review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italic Font
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Likemike wrote:
So if I get an expansion for the campaign you would suggest the DK and foe the overall package the Sunstalker? And you consider the DBK the best non campaign expansion?

I consider the Gorm the best overall non-campaign expansion, but I deducted a point because the ugly appearance of it is controversial. Also, DBK is a late game monster, so those always have less impact no matter how good the expansion might be.

DK Expansion is the best for campaign, Sunstalker is deffo best all round, especially as a quarry. It's neat!

dyarab wrote:
Thanks for taking your time to write these reviews. You're an excellent writer BTW.

As someone who is a backer of the 1.5 KS and has yet to play the game (even though I've read the rule book... twice, and already own the Dragon King and Flower Knight) your insight is very much appreciated. And I don't care about the spoilers because by the time I receive my copy, I will have completely forgotten 98% of the spoilers.

Can't wait for the next review!

Thank you, you are very kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B.
msg tools
Thanks again. I echo the sentiment that you are a great writer. Still debating what to get. Anything from just the base game to the base game, gc, DK, Gorm, fk, dbk and sunstalker is possible. I really dislike the Gorm and Sunstalker models though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasber Floob
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Loving the reviews - very helpful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Likemike wrote:
Thanks again. I echo the sentiment that you are a great writer. Still debating what to get. Anything from just the base game to the base game, gc, DK, Gorm, fk, dbk and sunstalker is possible. I really dislike the Gorm and Sunstalker models though...

Oddly enough, it seems that the most disgusting models provide the better contents gameplaywise. For me, gameplay > minis hands down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am lucky I guess, I love the Gorm and Sunstalker models.

Also a new player and your reviews are great! Many thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Barber
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
One thing I love about your reviews are your clear delineation of issues in the mechanics and your proposed house rules (which are usualy quite solid. It makes me wonder about the potential for a community patch for the game.

Looking forward to the next reviews!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magallian
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slender Man review is up! Quite a nemesis!
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24676016#24676016
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italic Font
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, and yes the Slender Man review is up.

I am unfortunately unable to complete the Dragon King write up before the KD:M kickstarter finishes, I apologize for this - it's just impossible to get it done in time and do it right. The expansion has too good a campaign to brush by lightly and the DK as a quarry is just not up to standard when you use it outside of People of the Sun. There's a lot of conflict and issues to write about so I can't do it in time.

As a consolation prize I've updated all the entries in the core thread with provisional star ratings, so you should have some idea how I feel about each one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark S
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So based on the ratings it looks like Slenderman is your favorite nemesis expansion, is that correct? If you had to choose just one to get, which would it be?

Right now I'm at Gambler's Lantern 2nd Face but I'm adding all the old expansions besides the Slenderman, Manhunter, Spidicules, Lonely Tree, and Green Knight Armor. Wavering on if I should add any of those, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! The lonely tree sure scored low soblue One that shocked me was the Green Knight Armor, is it really that good?

To be honest I didn't look much into it but seems to be rated quite high, I'm guessing vs what you pay vs what you get it's not too bad...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italic Font
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fropones wrote:
So based on the ratings it looks like Slenderman is your favorite nemesis expansion, is that correct? If you had to choose just one to get, which would it be?

Right now I'm at Gambler's Lantern 2nd Face but I'm adding all the old expansions besides the Slenderman, Manhunter, Spidicules, Lonely Tree, and Green Knight Armor. Wavering on if I should add any of those, too.

It's really close between Slender Man, Manhunter and Lion Knight. Slender Man is a lot harder than the other two but has craftable gear, the Manhunter has some of my favorite rare gear items (Tool Belt, Hunter's Heart and his hat) and the Lion Knight brings the Hybrid armors to the game - which is such a good mechanic and was worth a whole star for the Lion Knight's score in itself.

First one I got was the Manhunter and I don't think I'd change that ordering, so Manhunter it is. With Slender Man coming a close second. If I was already experienced with the game and as good at it as I am now then Slender Man would be my choice. I hope that makes sense.

AndrewAU wrote:
Wow! The lonely tree sure scored low soblue One that shocked me was the Green Knight Armor, is it really that good?

To be honest I didn't look much into it but seems to be rated quite high, I'm guessing vs what you pay vs what you get it's not too bad...

Yeah I tried and tried to justify the tree having a higher score but inconsistencies in the hunt card print color, the really light amount of content in the box, the decision to not have the Lonely Lady model do anything, the weak rewards for beating the tree, the 'gotchya' involved in its first appearance etc. hold back what is a beautiful miniature and an awesome showdown fight.

There is just too much wrong with it when compared with the good. It might creep up to a 4.5 by the time I write the review, but we'll see. In advance I should note that I'd not play the Lonely Tree expansion without the Gorm or Sunstalker in the set because of reasons.

You want good axes and the counterweight axe/bone axe alone isn't enough.

As for Green Armor if you have the expansions it requires it's very good indeed. It sits in a unique place in the game right now as it is the only expansion that directly ties other expansions together. It's well designed, it's a huge amount of fun and prestige to try and make. It's the ultimate achievement for players who have mastered a lot of the game and are looking to really push it to the next level.

But, it has two big problems.

1. The requirement for a single Spidicules Innovation card. You don't even need Spidicules in the campaign to get this card as it is a 'core game upgrade' so it is frustrating because Spidicules is an expensive expansion. I think this set should have just required the Gorm plus the three Knights and the Manhunter; or it should have required more stuff from Spidicules.

I don't think Poots was trying to make more money by forcing them to buy Spidicules in order to play with the Green Armor, he doesn't appear to be that kind of guy. But I would totally, totally understand if you felt that he was taking the mick and you decided to proxy a card in place of that Innovation rather than buy it.

2. The requirements on Griswaldo are heavily chance based, everything else requires careful planning and involves skill, strategy and risk planning. But Griswaldo's requirement for True Blade is just pure BS.

Finally, because of Rolling Armor you can use Green Armor parts even if you don't manage to build the whole set. So it's really cool even if you miss out on the time sensitive bits that are available only once per campaign.

It's my favorite expansion apart from DBK and Sunstalker because of the challenge it represents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Shoo
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
Italics wrote:

It's really close between Slender Man, Manhunter and Lion Knight. Slender Man is a lot harder than the other two but has craftable gear, the Manhunter has some of my favorite rare gear items (Tool Belt, Hunter's Heart and his hat) and the Lion Knight brings the Hybrid armors to the game - which is such a good mechanic and was worth a whole star for the Lion Knight's score in itself.

First one I got was the Manhunter and I don't think I'd change that ordering, so Manhunter it is. With Slender Man coming a close second. If I was already experienced with the game and as good at it as I am now then Slender Man would be my choice. I hope that makes sense.

The only nemesis I was planning to pick up is the Lion Knight, and your judgment is making me kind of anxious. I thought it looked like the best value out of the three... :V

Does your judgment incorporate the 4 Role Survivor minis that will be included this time, or are minis of lesser concern for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italic Font
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaotick wrote:
Italics wrote:

The only nemesis I was planning to pick up is the Lion Knight, and your judgment is making me kind of anxious. I thought it looked like the best value out of the three... :V

Does your judgment incorporate the 4 Role Survivor minis that will be included this time, or are minis of lesser concern for you?

It's not a bad choice, you can't make a bad choice with those three nemesis expansions. Don't worry. I just gave the Slender Man an extra point because of the crafting and the fact that it replaces a nasty content light nemesis rather than adding more fights to the timeline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.