Yedo» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Comment turned 2-player review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
thedaffodilfish
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This started off as my comment on the game, but I thought I'd post it as a review:

Absolutely solid, delightful, devilishly and deliciously devious worker placement. Dripping with theme, in fact this is more of a thematic game backed up with solid euro mechanics.
We've only played 2-player so far but it's very enjoyable and I can see how the player tension and interaction will only get better with more players at the table.

This inevitably gets compared to Lords of Waterdeep, but it is a far deeper, thoughtful and, in my opinion and experience, more enjoyable game. I find LoW rather dry and the theme doesn't appeal to me (I've played with a set that had meeples instead of cubes, and metal coins - that was more fun!). I still enjoy playing LoW and have fun with my group, but I find Yedo a far richer experience.

People have commented on the long playing time - obviously with 2 people it plays quicker, but I've been fairly caught up in the game and not noticed the passing of time.

There have also been negative comments about the 'take that' aspect. Horses for courses I guess. We love it! My wife delights in playing mind games during the Bidding Phase, and the pain and thrill of planning your comeback following a Tsunami or Earthquake is a reason we sit at the table to play boardgames in the first place.

I've rated 8 for 2-player for now, but will review and revise once we've played 3+
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
thedaffodilfish wrote:

People have commented on the long playing time - obviously with 2 people it plays quicker, but I've been fairly caught up in the game and not noticed the passing of time.

I've played this at all player counts (2-5), and it is considerably longer at 5 than at 2. The player interaction is ramped up the closer you get to 5 players as well. Weapons become more scarce and missions become hot commodities. And I'm with you when it comes to getting caught up in the game, but perhaps feel the sentiment even more strongly. If this is the only game I get to play at a game night, that's just fine with me. I've enjoyed every minute of every game I've played of it. I'd rather play this one excellent game for 3 hours than 3 mediocre games for 1 hour each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played with 4 and 5. Everyone who played really liked. Game length isn't an issue in games for me. If I'm having fun game length is irrelevant. I think this game is greatly under rated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.