One Deck Dungeon» Forums » Rules

Subject: Scope of Fade's Effect rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow's Fade ability: "Spend 1 time for each skill you use."

In this thread, I suggested that Fade applies during the "Use Skills and Place Dice" phase of the encounter with Shadow.

I am wondering whether that is correct.

There are some encounter-specific skills that are applied outside this phase (most of them on hero cards). Does Fade apply to any of these?

Dodge: prevent 1 damage
Kiting (Archer 1P): spend 1 time to avoid 1 damage
Shield Aura (Mage 1P): prevent 1 damage
Armor (Paladin 1P): lose only half damage
Fearless Charge (Warrior 2P): avoid paying 1 time

These all apply during "Suffer Consequences," which occurs after "Use Skills and Place Dice." (I assume that is the case for Fearless Charge - or can that skill apply earlier, to Frost, Split - or Fade itself?) It wouldn't be worth using Fearless Charge against Shadow if Fade applies to that skill.

Some of non-heroic hero-card skills don't really apply to encounters at all, so Fade couldn't apply to them:

Stealth (Rogue 1P): applies to flee
Second Wind (Warrior 1P): applies to descend

The following non-heroic hero-card skills seem to apply normally during "Use Skills and Place Dice," and I would assume that Fade applies to them normally:

Combined Shot (Archer 2P)
Power Transfer (Mage 2P)
Support Aura (Paladin 2P)
Dungeoneering (Rogue 2P)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
All of those skills except for Stealth + Second Wind do happen during the encounter, you use them at the same time as other skills -- Fade would apply to them. They are not mandatory to use. (Shield Aura is Peril only, fwiw)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So no point in using Fearless Charge against Shadow, and Kiting would cost 2 time to save 1 damage.

Regarding skills not being mandatory: there was another thread that questioned whether Paladin with Dodge could avoid a single damage by choosing not to use Armor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.