Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

The Goonies Adventure Card Game isn't the greatest card game I've ever played, but it is a pretty solid cooperative card game. There is luck in this game. What cards are drawn when is very important to keeping the game balanced. Also, certain characters are better to me than others, but so be it.

Otherwise, this game really comes down to matching icons and you miss that adventure the Goonies are on. They did a good job of giving you different locations (three for each location to give you something different each time you play) so you never really know what you are getting. Also, when you do an encounter you may set off a booby trap or find that jewel. Sure, this is luck, but it is fun to turn over that tile. My kids even were able to play this game and liked it.

This was a pretty solid family game. If you add in the fact that I can play with my kids, the game moves up a lot. The game is hard but this is mostly due to bad luck more than fair play by the game. Even so, I enjoy playing this game and I've played it a lot more than I should have. For some reason, I keep coming back to it.

As for the movie to game conversion, most of the things from the movie are in the game: the characters, the bad guys, Sloth, the water slide, One Eyed Willy, etc. They did a good job of putting most things in the movie into this game. This game is not just your youth, there is an actual game in this box. Check this one out!

Keeper.

Components:

The components are pretty good. I got the extra board made of "mouse pad" material and I really like having this but it doesn't come with the game if bought without adding it. You don't really need it, but I like it. The game is a bunch of cards and they are great quality. I like the stills from the movie, but it might turn some people off. I like seeing the moments from this beloved movie. I also have the upgraded Goonies marker that is used to move from location to location.

Rule Book:

This is a very simple game to play and the rules are fantastic. I didn't have any issues playing after a simple read through. I had to keep looking up hand size and how many cards you draw depending on how many players you have playing. Otherwise, this is a very simple card to play. My only real question is if you draw those cards each round sometimes you can get a string of cards that adds 5-6 cards. This can be brutal for such a light game.

Flow of the Game:

This is a very simple game. There are a few ways to lose: 1. 5 Encounter cards are lined up 2. 5 of any of the 5 locations are out at the same time

To win: You have to find the 5 jewels and equip those to One Eyed Willy (this makes sense when you see it).

The game scales differently for each different number of players. I am just going to give a general overview.

This is a cooperative game and all of the players can use their cards together. Each player gets a Goonie character that has a unique special power that can be used during the game and a one time use power.

On a turn, the players have a few actions:

1. Move to a location - discard the color card that matches the location you want to go to

2. Obstacles - there are cards at the locations, you defeat a card by playing the required matching icons

3. Flip over Jewel tiles - players play 3 matching cards to flip over a jewel tile

4. Encounter - if a location doesn't have obstacles, you can encounter the area and see if you find a jewel or a booby trap

Players play together. Any two matching cards can be one card that you want it to be. This is very helpful.

The players have 4 actions per turn. If you use less than 4, all the players draw an additional card. After taking actions, you draw a card from the deck and add it to the location listed. If it has a certain icon, you add another card. If it has a pirate icon, you draw from the encounter deck. These cards can be good, but they are normally bad and brutal.

Should I buy this game?:

This is a fun enough little cooperative game. This is for light gamers or gamers looking for a simple, luck filled little game with the Goonies pictures on it. Yes, the draw to this game is the license and not much else, many will be willing to play this to relive their childhood dreams of being of the Goonies. This game is all about finally being of the Goonies!

Keeper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuck in Stalag BGG
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 1173 The Goonies: Adventure Card Game: Goonies Never Say Die
This is an excellent game! Especially for solo.

Great review, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Teague
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 1173 The Goonies: Adventure Card Game: Goonies Never Say Die
klkitchens wrote:

Ditto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:

Great review, thanks!

I don't know how much I'll bring this out with a group larger than two. The 'shared turn' bit ended up causing some people to quarter back, most to look to one person for what to do, and some people to just sit back and not contribute.

It certainly needs the right group to play with more than 1 or 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rraahk wrote:
klkitchens wrote:

Great review, thanks!

I don't know how much I'll bring this out with a group larger than two. The 'shared turn' bit ended up causing some people to quarter back, most to look to one person for what to do, and some people to just sit back and not contribute.

It certainly needs the right group to play with more than 1 or 2 players.

I thought it played fine with 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.