Subject: Deck builders rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So i played my first deck builder with my son(Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle) and we absolutely loved it, the theme, the building the deck in the correct way for each character so you maximise their role...the whole thing was just a really good experience

I mentioned to him about the Legendary Marvel game, explained a few things about teaming up to fight a bad guy who is trying to do a 'scenario'

would that game be a good follow up to the Harry Potter game, or am i making too big a leap?

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
I also believe that you met the King of the Forest, Mei, and meeting him is a sign of good luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it wouldn't be a big leap. If you like the game play of the Harry Potter game and enjoy the Marvel super hero's, it is a natural transition.

Just my 2 cents, but the base marvel game is pretty vanilla and after several games is greatly improved by the Legendary: Dark City expansion. None of the other expansions are necessary in my opinion, but if one has a favorite hero, then it would be worth getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
yeah, my son is super hero/harry potter/star wars crazy

i have read that and been told that about the standalone version of Marvel, just not sure i want to spend another £75 on another game at the moment(which would be the cost with the expansion)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
I also believe that you met the King of the Forest, Mei, and meeting him is a sign of good luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on the age of your son, you could most likely enjoy the base game for 10-20 play throughs until you are ready for a change. It would allow you to time another next expansion to a birthday or special event, so you don't have to get them all at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
he's 16, but is autistic, so choosing games has to be done very carefully

it's his birthday in March, i guess i could buy the base game now and the dark city expansion for his birthday

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingtreelo wrote:
yeah, my son is super hero/harry potter/star wars crazy

i have read that and been told that about the standalone version of Marvel, just not sure i want to spend another £75 on another game at the moment(which would be the cost with the expansion)

Marvel Legendary is THE game if he likes Marvel super heroes. You can choose which heroes to put in the recruit/hero deck. I always feel like a kid choosing what to buy at a toy store when choosing which heroes to put into the recruit/hero deck during the set up of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thanks

the things he doesn't know about things he likes could be written on a stamp, it just may not wet his appetite enough if there are 'lots' of heroes and villains missing from the base game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So that you are aware:
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game was designed as a competitive game (with the chance for all players to lose - the Mastermind wins instead; or in a few cases no one wins because the villain deck is exhausted, but the Mastermind fails to complete their Scheme). As a competitive game, I found Legendary sub-par at best. In the Dark City expansion, they introduced challenge modes. We have been tossing in 1 (if Gimpy Hand) or 2 of the 9 challenge modes (just avoid Hell on Earth) and playing the game purely cooperatively. To be honest I doubt I would be playing the game anymore if not for playing as a pure coop, I certainly would never have picked up a copy for myself.
Perhaps in part because it was designed for competitive play, the Masterminds for the base game are less of a threat than Masterminds from the following expansions. The Mastermind tactics from the base game tend to be more beneficial to the player that defeats the Mastermind rather than harmful to others or everyone.
Marvel has basically abandoned the Fantastic Four; in no small part due to 20th Century Fox's ownership (and basically abuse) of the movie rights. This makes it very difficult and expensive to get a hold of the Legendary: Fantastic Four expansion, which has some decent content and includes the only releases of the Fantastic Four heroes, Silver Surfer, and the Mastermind Galactus (Dr. Doom is in the base game). This is likely to be the case for other Marvel licensed games and media for the foreseeable future as well.
Set up and take down time for the game can be significant. It doesn't bother the people I play with much, and I've played 6 or so games in a row. However this can be an issue for some people so I think it should be mentioned.

Kingtreelo wrote:
thanks

the things he doesn't know about things he likes could be written on a stamp, it just may not wet his appetite enough if there are 'lots' of heroes and villains missing from the base game

You can look at the game pages to see what's in each game/expansion. For ease, here is what is in the base game and Dark City

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game
Heroes:
Black Widow
Captain America
Cyclops
Deadpool
Emma Frost
Gambit
Hawkeye
Hulk
Iron Man
Nick Fury
Rogue
Spider-Man
Storm
Thor
Wolverine (X-men)

Masterminds:
Dr. Doom
Loki
Magneto
Red Skull

Villain Groups:
Brotherhood (2 Blob, 2 Juggernaut, 2 Mystique, 2 Sabretooth)
Enemies of Asgard (1 Destroyer, 2 Enchantress, 3 Frost Giant, 2 Ymir Frost Giant King)
HYDRA (3 Endless Armies of HYDRA, 3 HYDRA Kidnappers, 1 Supreme HYDRA, 1 Viper)
Masters of Evil (2 Baron Zemo, 2 Melter, 2 Ultron, 2 Whirlwind)
Radiation (2 Abomination, 2 The Leader, 2 Maestro, 2 Zzzax)
Skrulls (1 Paibok the Power Skrull, 1 Skrull Queen Veranke, 3 Skrull Shapeshifters, 3 Super-Skrull)
Spider Foes (2 Doctor Octopus, 2 Green Goblin, 2 The Lizard, 2 Venom)

Henchmen:
Doombot Legion
Hand Ninjas
Savage Land Mutates
Sentinels

Dark City
Heroes:
Angel
Bishop
Blade
Cable
Colossus
Daredevil
Domino
Elektra
Forge
Ghost Rider
Iceman
Iron Fist
Jean Grey
Nightcrawler
Professor X
Punisher
Wolverine (X-Force)

Masterminds:
Apocalypse
Kingpin
Mephisto
Mr. Sinister
Stryfe

Villain Groups:
Emissaries of Evil (2X Egghead, Electro, Gladiator, Rhino)
Four Horsemen (2X War, Famine, Pestilence, and Death (Archangel version))
Marauders (2X Blockbuster, Chimera, Scalphunter, Vertigo)
MLF (2X Forearm, Reignfire, Wildside, and Zero)
Streets of New York (2X Bullseye, Hammerhead, Jigsaw, Tombstone)
Underworld (2X Azazel, Blackheart, Dracula, Lilith - Daughter of Dracula)

Henchmen:
Maggia Goons
Phalanx

As an aside, alternative, or future consideration, you may also want to look at Sentinels of the Multiverse, which is not a deck-builder, but instead each player plays a hero and each hero has their own deck. The Sentinels are not licensed IP, but instead the original creations of Greater Than Games, but many are clearly analogues for much more well known characters. If you do take a look at that, the best bet for evaluation purposes may be purchasing their app (which is available for iOS, Android, and through Steam) - the base game is frequently on sale and may even be on sale now.

I own and enjoy both Legendary and Sentinels of the Multiverse. I think Legendary is better for 2 - 3 players, while Sentinels is better for 4 - 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thanks Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally love Legendary and play it as a semi-coop. However it can be played as a pure coop as has been mentioned. It's up to you really. I think trying the base game first is great, then if you guys enjoy it, you can get Dark City for his birthday as you have mentioned. That way you aren't too invested in the game.

As for characters missing, the Marvel universe is vast so it is unlikely one base game will capture all the characters spanning several decades of comics. The base game has some cool well-known characters, and Dark City adds even more. There are also small box expansions that cover other groups of characters (but don't bother trying to get Fantastic Four cos $$$$) depending on which ones interest you.

Another user also posted this:
Set up and take down time for the game can be significant.

It doesn't take an eternity, but significant is an apt description. Set up can be aided if you download an app that tells you what to put in each deck. The one I have on android is called Legendary Organizer (i think it has a z in organiser)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingtreelo wrote:
So i played my first deck builder with my son(Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle) and we absolutely loved it, the theme, the building the deck in the correct way for each character so you maximise their role...the whole thing was just a really good experience

I mentioned to him about the Legendary Marvel game, explained a few things about teaming up to fight a bad guy who is trying to do a 'scenario'

would that game be a good follow up to the Harry Potter game, or am i making too big a leap?

Cheers

If you like the theme, I might go with Arcane Academy (not a deck builder, but I think you'll like it) or The Big Book of Madness.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Legendary system (too many cards, too much set-up, not enough fun gameplay).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingtreelo wrote:

Cheers

If you like the randomness of the market, then it might be good.

If you want something more strategic, I'd recommend Aeon's End. Not the same theme at all, but you can also choose characters to defeat a villain. It's full co-op though, and the market is composed of 9 different cards you choose at the beginning of the game.

It would make for a very different game than Harry Potter. Might be worth looking into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.