Market Decks:
* All.

Pertinent Links/Information:
* Basic House Rules.
* Script commands can be found here.
* Runebound rules can be found here.

Survival Rules

Rations
Players begin with 2 rations and must spend them to survive the changing weather. There is no limit to the number of rations you can have. Players may also obtain more rations by foraging or buying them in town.

* Buying Rations
Once per Market Step, a player may spend 1 gold to buy 2 rations.

* Foraging
Once per turn at any point during a Hero’s movement, a Hero may forage by spending a number of movement dice based on the Hero’s current space. The dice spent do not have to match the terrain. The number of rations you can receive is indicated by the current weather. You cannot forage in a town space.
River, Forest, Swamp: 1 die
Hills, Plains, Mountains: 2 dice
Road: 3 dice.

Day and Night
Turns are done in rounds. Each round, players take turns in order, as they do in normal Runebound. Rounds alternate between day and night. The first round of the game is Day, second round is Night, and it continues to swap each round. Weather cards indicate what level of challenge you must face if drawing a wild monster (see below). Day is always a weaker challenge, while Night is always more difficult.

Changing Weather
When the round ends and transitions back to Day, discard the current weather card and replace it with a new one. If there are no weather cards remaining, shuffle the weather cards to form a new deck, then draw the top card.

When a new weather card enters play, each player must spend the amount of rations as indicated on the card. If a player does not have enough, they will discard all rations they have and take 1 fatigue for each ration they were short by.

Wild Monsters
If you end your movement in a non-town space and do not attempt an adventure, you must face a wild monster. The current weather card indicates what level of challenge you must face depending on if it’s Day or Night. Draw adventure cards as indicated by the current weather card until you draw a Challenge, discarding any other cards without resolving them. Resolve the Challenge. Combat follows all of the normal rules, but if you defeat the Challenge, you only receive the listed rewards, no experience points.

Events
If an event is drawn, replenish the board, then discard the event.

Running in PBF

Rations will be swamp tokens like last time.

I'll set up a "deck" of weather cards, similar to the quest variant we did. Each card has a die value, you roll a die and "draw" the card. Don't forget, you can roll a custom die if you want to only roll the cards remaining in the deck.
1custom3{3;5;7} = rolls a single 3-sided die with the results 3, 5, and 7.

I will use the second post in the game thread to indicate the weather and Day/Night cycle. Whoever ends up last in turn order will need to remember to indicate the change of Day/Night, as well as "draw" a weather card. If they forget, or don't want the responsibility, it will be up to player 1 to do this before they take their turn (they don't need to wait for everyone else to pay their rations, they can simply roll for weather and pay their own, then take their turn). I will try to check in and adjust the front page as necessary. If we're lucky, I'm either last or first and can manage all this stuff myself.

Sample weather card: The brown cube is the rations you would have to pay. Sun indicates the wild monster during Day, moon = Night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like fun. I am definitely in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferry Van der schans
Netherlands
Ridderkerk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like the weather cards, Thomas. Good job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas, I really like how you come up with these ideas. I'm sure I will enjoy testing them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys! I should also mention, I accidentally uploaded the "start" cards (a 'clear skies' and a 'rain'). Just ignore the 'start' text in the corner. We'll start in clear skies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferry Van der schans
Netherlands
Ridderkerk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1 question about paying the rations. Last game we didn't have to "eat" rations when we where in a town, because we ate at the tavern.
I don't see any mentioning about this in the new rules. Does this mean that even if you are in a town when the weather changes, you still have to eat the noted amount of rations?

(When reading the rules I couldn't help thinking of the LotR scene with the hobbits when they realise Strider didn't know about Afternoon Thea-time, Dinner, Supper, and everything inbetween. I guess we only eat breakfast in this game Which is fine offcourse)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the new rules, you "eat" in town too. The rations have been changed to a 1-time payment that varies. This was to reduce the fiddly-ness of needing to constantly pay 1 every turn. In exchange, foraging is a LOT easier, and buying them with gold less mandatory (you can only spend 1g on rations each visit to town, as well). Think of it less like "I eat one meal in the morning" and more like "these are the rations I set aside for the rest of the day".

I did playtest it myself before posting. I also scrapped the "triggers off events" part because it's almost impossible balancing around events, they're too random. Rations were over abundant, so I adjusted the distribution of weather to be less forgiving. Rations may still be slightly over abundant, but we'll see. I didn't want to mess with it too much. The actual mechanics and flow of the variant need to feel right before I worry too much about the numbers balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, in case you guys missed it, there's an issue with the script at the moment. I can't start a new game, so it might be a short wait until it can be fixed. Sorry for the wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game is up! And good news, I'm last so I can do all the round change stuff. You guys just need to remember to check the front page for Day/Night and the current weather when you take your turns.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1698297/pbf-86-its-all-86ed...

And don't forget to sub to the game thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
M4stermage wrote:

Spend 2 movement dice to forage in the hills
<<token add swamp 1>>

Do I need to eat a ration at the start of this turn or does the starting turn in a game skip eating a ration?

The current weather indicates how many rations you receive when foraging (current weather shows 2, not 1). You only 'eat' when a new weather card is drawn. No 'eating' during setup.

Sorry if the rules aren't super clear, I don't have any visual examples at the moment. I can try to make an example image to show what each part of the weather card means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferry Van der schans
Netherlands
Ridderkerk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh right.
It is crystal clear. I just mixer up the forage and eating numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jesper, I think you can forage only once per turn (I think). By spending 1 die in the forest you would get 2 rations, but you cannot spend 3 dice there to get 6 rations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Montag451 wrote:

* Foraging
Once per turn at any point during a Hero’s movement, a Hero may forage

Jesper, this should answer your question. (Bolding added by me)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really weird, my sub box did not notify me of either Jesper's turn or Jeremy's post, but I am subbed to both threads. I hope it was just a one-time goof.

Any way, yes, you can only forage once per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Montag451 wrote:
Really weird, my sub box did not notify me of either Jesper's turn or Jeremy's post, but I am subbed to both threads. I hope it was just a one-time goof.

Any way, yes, you can only forage once per turn.

I didn't get notified about Jesper's turn either. I just happened to check in and see the new posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too didn't get a notification after Jesper's turn but now I do receive notifications again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferry Van der schans
Netherlands
Ridderkerk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't get any notifications. Not from threads, not from pm's. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
M4stermage wrote:
I don't get any notifications. Not from threads, not from pm's. cry

Yeah, there's definitely something funky going on with the subs and notifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

you still need to eat 2 rations. It's a new day of rain (same weather, but it's a new card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jesper, I just noticed that you move to the wrong space and as a result took a wrong gem. You were probably aiming for the road space near grayhaven, but something went wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Brøchner
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magnitt wrote:
Jesper, I just noticed that you move to the wrong space and as a result took a wrong gem. You were probably aiming for the road space near grayhaven, but something went wrong

Yep I screwed that one up
I have corrected it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Montag451 wrote:
Nah, we don't normally play with that card, it's terrible, annoying, and not even a worth while reward for the person that defeated it. Typically, we ignore the text and you just get a gold for defeating it.

Cool, so can I get a gold for it then? Or do you refer to your own home rules that do not apply to this PBF?

I agree that the card itself is more annoying than anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magnitt wrote:
Montag451 wrote:
Nah, we don't normally play with that card, it's terrible, annoying, and not even a worth while reward for the person that defeated it. Typically, we ignore the text and you just get a gold for defeating it.

Cool, so can I get a gold for it then? Or do you refer to your own home rules that do not apply to this PBF?

You can take a gold, it's the normal PBF practices, but it's 'unofficial'. There's a lot of stuff that most of us do in PBF, but not everyone, so rather than being an official PBF house rule that applies to all games, there's some stuff that usually applies, but isn't universal. Confusing, I know, but it's not anything too major.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys, I have a question. If I cannot escape from a challenge (like when I fight Margath after defeating his skeleton), do I still have an escape phase where I can use my hero's ability or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magnitt wrote:
Hi guys, I have a question. If I cannot escape from a challenge (like when I fight Margath after defeating his skeleton), do I still have an escape phase where I can use my hero's ability or not?

It doesn't say to skip the escape phase entirely, just prevents your from escaping. So I'd rule that you can still use your ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.