Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel James
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I am thinking that DOOM has not been much of a success. I wonder why it has slipped so far down the hotness already?

I have played a few games now and I think it has some of the best mechanics for a one vs all game I've played. I very much enjoyed Claustrophobia but I think that DOOM might just have the edge.

Is it because people see a board game based on a video game and run away? I would have thought that a game as new as this would have more interest. I hope it gets the attention it deserves soon. DOOM (for me anyway) is one of the best modern games out there at present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And there's even no expansion announced! This game is dead for sure. Thanks Asmodee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim and Ekaya - Sotho Blue
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anybody really give a damn what's in the hotness?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When more reviews come out it will jump back up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More people should be talking about this game. It's like it was shipped to die.

It's the best 1-vs-many game FFG has ever made.

It's also a complete package - doesn't need an expansion at all.

A brilliant game. I told my local game shop to get a copy opened up and on the table. It needs to be seen and played by more people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain Murdercasket wrote:
So, I am thinking that DOOM has not been much of a success. I wonder why it has slipped so far down the hotness already?

I have played a few games now and I think it has some of the best mechanics for a one vs all game I've played. I very much enjoyed Claustrophobia but I think that DOOM might just have the edge.

Is it because people see a board game based on a video game and run away? I would have thought that a game as new as this would have more interest. I hope it gets the attention it deserves soon. DOOM (for me anyway) is one of the best modern games out there at present.

This site has long favored Euros and co-ops. And now legacy games.
This is none of those. Of course its going to slip out of the hotness.
Star Wars fans manage to keep some games up there.. but not if many of the users on this site had their way.

We are in dark waters here....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamuki (Jueguetistorias)
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not know if it makes a difference, but having a text review (I usually do not see video reviews) would be very useful to know more about the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
I played one game, found it to be a bit simple in its mechanics... I do hope things will change when playing future missions (if I can still find willing players) but something tells me I've already seen all the game has to offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nofunatalll wrote:
I played one game, found it to be a bit simple in its mechanics... I do hope things will change when playing future missions (if I can still find willing players) but something tells me I've already seen all the game has to offer.

You played one game? Like a single mission? If so... no. If you only played a mission where the Invader has no control over when they spawn (i.e. the boring first mission in the book), you basically played the tutorial just slightly harder. Play an Assault mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D_Davis wrote:

It's the best 1-vs-many game FFG has ever made.

Have you played Fortress America?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:

Star Wars fans manage to keep some games up there.. but not if many of the users on this site had their way.

Just looking at the hotness list to the left there: Mechs vs Minions, KDM, Project Elite, Descent... Nah, plenty of this type of game there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
eypyeash wrote:
Nofunatalll wrote:

You played one game? Like a single mission? If so... no. If you only played a mission where the Invader has no control over when they spawn (i.e. the boring first mission in the book), you basically played the tutorial just slightly harder. Play an Assault mission.

I hope you're right, still though, when playing with multiple soldiers I can imagine it gets quite tedious as those players don't have a whole lot of choices to make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
stevepop wrote:
corkysru wrote:

Just looking at the hotness list to the left there: Mechs vs Minions, KDM, Project Elite, Descent... Nah, plenty of this type of game there.

I disagree, as those games are, from last to first: Giant Kickstarter like game, giant Kickstarter game, giant Kickstarter game and... Oh wait, Descent is fair enough. Doom isn't a giant Kickstarter game, and I think that's one reason it's not in the hotness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disc Duelers. Mansions of Madness. Robo Rally. None of these were huge Kickstarters.

Fer chrissake, the Trump game was on the hotness a few weeks ago, and Twilight Struggle was finally thrown from its number 1 position by Pandemic Legacy (technically a Euro, but a mild mannered one).

What people look at is kinda random. Adrenaline belongs on the hotness more than Doom, and it's not there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
taedium vitae wrote:
Can the rulebook be obtained online somewhere? I'm interested but I'm not blowing $140 on a game if I can't get an idea of how it plays. I've read time and time again that it has been streamlined and simplified compared to the previous version, which has cooled my initial enthusiasm somewhat.

The rulebooks are all available on the FFG website.

Why 140? Shipping? It's only 80 retail... i can't imagine another 60 on shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nofunatalll wrote:
eypyeash wrote:
Nofunatalll wrote:

I hope you're right, still though, when playing with multiple soldiers I can imagine it gets quite tedious as those players don't have a whole lot of choices to make.

Descent has had massive success with even less variety. That system is nothing but move and roll a set number of dice, and use a feat once per scenario. Hell, Warhammer Quest and HeroQuest are even more simplistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
taedium vitae wrote:
eypyeash wrote:
taedium vitae wrote:
Can the rulebook be obtained online somewhere? I'm interested but I'm not blowing $140 on a game if I can't get an idea of how it plays. I've read time and time again that it has been streamlined and simplified compared to the previous version, which has cooled my initial enthusiasm somewhat.

The rulebooks are all available on the FFG website.

Why 140? Shipping? It's only 80 retail... i can't imagine another 60 on shipping.

Slowest shipping option to Japan is $70. Shipping anything from the US is insanely expensive. I don't know why it's so much more expensive than shipping from Europe.

I will read the rulebook, thank you.

You should definitely make friends with some US military folks out there. APO shipping would help you out a lot. Ha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
taedium vitae wrote:
Slowest shipping option to Japan is $70. Shipping anything from the US is insanely expensive. I don't know why it's so much more expensive than shipping from Europe.

Yikes! That's ludicrous! And I thought $40 to ship a game to Canada was bad (and it still is, but...)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
OH GOD YOU'RE RIGHT IT'S OVER RIP DOOM 2016-2016

can I have your copy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pilum pilum
France
flag msg tools
mb
eypyeash wrote:
Nofunatalll wrote:
eypyeash wrote:
Nofunatalll wrote:

Descent has had massive success with even less variety. That system is nothing but move and roll a set number of dice, and use a feat once per scenario. Hell, Warhammer Quest and HeroQuest are even more simplistic.

Sorry but Descent is far better than Doom.
It's more immersive with Descent.

With the mechanisms of Doom, you have to manage too many decks : it's boring and not immersive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how you interpret the number of decks in Doom to be anti-immersive... each side uses exactly one, and there's a small deck of Glory Kill cards.

Descent has more story, but mechanically, it's incredibly plodding, except for the Overlord, who gets a decent pile of choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eypyeash wrote:
I'm not sure how you interpret the number of decks in Doom to be anti-immersive... each side uses exactly one, and there's a small deck of Glory Kill cards.

Descent has more story, but mechanically, it's incredibly plodding, except for the Overlord, who gets a decent pile of choices.

Descent does offer the deeper character customisation that's only there on the surface with doom.

I have owned and played all of FF's campaign games and have sold all of them because in the end I don't like campaign games, the progression is too slow and it's too difficult to get the same group of people together to finish a campaign. This is what interested me in getting Doom, I just wish the deckbuilding aspect would have been a bit more fleshed out.

Will give it some more tries though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
digter
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jamuki wrote:
I do not know if it makes a difference, but having a text review (I usually do not see video reviews) would be very useful to know more about the game

Yeah.. my thoughts exactly. Need more reviews before I want to spend that kind of money
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the better for getting it on a daily deal for ~$40 soon then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Choong
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just chiming in. Other than Descent, I read that some people compared Doom with Conan and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle: Shadow of the Past. I wonder whether after people who have played Doom may find it underwhelming when compared to the other one vs many games with "Overlord" system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.