Hide
11 Posts

Dominion (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: My only complaint about the second editions... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Hotep
msg tools
When they dropped some of the lackluster old cards (Thief, Woodcutter, etc) those card names/concepts/themes also vanished. And it feels like there should be a Thief card and a Woodcutter card in the theme of Dominion.

So, personally, I'm hoping that someday we see a new Thief, a new Woodcutter, etc.

I know the theme is basically painted on but when we're down to Feodums and Butchers and Candlestick Makers, not having just a good old fashioned Thief is weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor Phobos wrote:
When they dropped some of the lackluster old cards (Thief, Woodcutter, etc) those card names/concepts/themes also vanished. And it feels like there should be a Thief card and a Woodcutter card in the theme of Dominion.

So, personally, I'm hoping that someday we see a new Thief, a new Woodcutter, etc.

If only the game was popular enough to merit expansions ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor Phobos wrote:
I know the theme is basically painted on but when we're down to Feodums and Butchers and Candlestick Makers, not having just a good old fashioned Thief is weird.

We've got a Bandit, Noble Brigand and Cutpurse. Do we really need Dominion: Thesaurus Edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor Phobos wrote:

Yeah, I don't see that ever happening. There are a lot of copies of First Edition out there. A lot. No reason to create confusion for all those people by making a card with the same name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
churchmouse wrote:
Professor Phobos wrote:

We've got a Bandit, Noble Brigand and Cutpurse. Do we really need Dominion: Thesaurus Edition?
This ^^

Bandit has Thief covered. There's no "new Woodcutter". In fact, there are no sources of +Buy to replace Woodcutter, but I don't reckon it's a huge imbalance to deal with (and the des. diary may have covered this).

I'd rather they NOT use the same names for different purposes. Thief is Thief, as opposed to Thief (1st edition) vs. Thief 2nd edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Robinson
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
churchmouse wrote:
Professor Phobos wrote:

This ^^

Bandit has Thief covered. There's no "new Woodcutter". In fact, there are no sources of +Buy to replace Woodcutter, but I don't reckon it's a huge imbalance to deal with (and the des. diary may have covered this).

I'd rather they NOT use the same names for different purposes. Thief is Thief, as opposed to Thief (1st edition) vs. Thief 2nd edition.

Agreed ... we still have the old cards from dominion and intrigue and still use them if they are selected ...and certainly may be included in a 25card black market deck, which we randomly choose from all our cards.

On the woodcutter front ...villa provides some of the benefit and more ...in ansort of positive way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hotep
msg tools
I don't mean in terms of gameplay, it's just, you have this medieval setting, there would be woodcutters out there, cutting wood.

They could call it Woodcutter II, or Thief (Revised) or otherwise distinguish them from the old ones to avoid confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor Phobos wrote:
I don't mean in terms of gameplay, it's just, you have this medieval setting, there would be woodcutters out there, cutting wood.

They could call it Woodcutter II, or Thief (Revised) or otherwise distinguish them from the old ones to avoid confusion.

Yes, they could do those things, but they don't need to and so they won't. "Woodcutter II" and "Thief (Revised)" are pretty ugly names, and confusing to those who don't know about the older cards. Why not use new names instead? Hence, "Bandit".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that "Thief" feels like such a basic name that it's weird to have it unused. But for the sanity of players, best to keep it that way. And there's no "Warrior" or "Priest" either, I suppose.

"Woodcutter" has been a terrible name since day 1. I used to use it as the prime example of how little anybody cared about theme in producing Dominion. (What I read-- correct me if I'm wrong-- was that Buys were called "Builds" in the original prototype, which is why the Woodcutter gave you one. Then "Build" was changed but the names of cards alluding to it weren't, leaving the Woodcutter with a totally nonsensical effect.) Good riddance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
I agree that "Thief" feels like such a basic name that it's weird to have it unused. But for the sanity of players, best to keep it that way. And there's no "Warrior" or "Priest" either, I suppose.

"Woodcutter" has been a terrible name since day 1. I used to use it as the prime example of how little anybody cared about theme in producing Dominion. (What I read-- correct me if I'm wrong-- was that Buys were called "Builds" in the original prototype, which is why the Woodcutter gave you one. Then "Build" was changed but the names of cards alluding to it weren't, leaving the Woodcutter with a totally nonsensical effect.) Good riddance!

One fun thing about it were the "quotes"... play it and say
"Chop chop!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachariah R
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I wholeheartedly agree, regarding the Woodcutter. The Woodcutter has been an absolute lifesaver in many previous games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.