United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Should I buy Descent or Runebound for my non-gamer wife to play on our Microsoft Surface Contact computer from an online dealer or FLGS that didn't respond to my email after they sent a bent card in the last game about Euro vs Ameritrash gamers debating the existance of God while using their CH E AP Nokia phones to discuss the XBox version of Talisman?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll get back to you tomorrow, I am still on yesterday's.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe how many time the stupid Philips/Microsoft gaming table thing has been posted. Just yesterday someone did that crap and I posted links to the first four previous threads I could find. That seemed to end it, but then, today, someone else posts the same thing and it gets 24 replies!!

On any of the other dozen forums I visit, these threads would either be locked, deleted, or flamed into nonexistance. On BGG they breed. I give up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
dcorban wrote:
I can't believe how many time the stupid Philips/Microsoft gaming table thing has been posted...

That reminds me -- Microsoft has come out with this thing that's going to totally revolutionize gaming! I couldn't be bothered to look back a page or two to see if it's been posted already, so I thought it would be cool.

P.S. I forgot -- what's the big deal in not shipping to Canada, guys?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
!
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, what's the problem? People aren't allowed to talk about things more than once?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
How to tell when it's time to take a break from the forum. When everything seems like a rehash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
How to tell when it's time to take a break from the forum. When everything seems like a rehash.

Didn't you just say that the other day?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Adkins
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please, forgive those who do not have enough time in their lives to check the BGG forums daily let alone multiple times daily.

Please, forgive those that can only manage a weekly outing to the Geek.

Please, forgive them if they dont research the weeks postings in complete detail to make sure they dont irritate the more frequent visitor with a rehashing of something "old hat".

Please, please, cant you just find it in your heart to forgive those who didnt make the correct choices in life to allow them the luxury of ample free time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The ironic thing is that having the entire discussion in a single thread benefits the posters to such threads more than the people who complain about it.

Also, it isn't about the complainers "getting a life" or "taking a break from the computer". It is basic online etiquette.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is this amazing little place at the top of the screen labeled "search". People who don't have time can try it when they do .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
travistdale wrote:
Seriously, what's the problem? People aren't allowed to talk about things more than once?

The problem is isn't it a WHOLE lot more efficient to discuss a topic in 1 place rather than 7? Get all the feedback rather than bounce around for it? Find that maybe there's a discussion in progress you could join in on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Adkins
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Corban,

Wouldnt basic forum etiquette dictate a certain tolerance and understanding from the learned frequent user?

Apparently, you have a MUCH different view about BGG than I do.

My opinion of what BGG is:

A place for people with the common interest of gaming to come and share information, ask questions, and gain insight from the more experienced. Yes, this even translates to sharing OTHER interests.

People who are "noobs" to anything tend to be sheepish when they enter the domane of the "experts". Posts of this nature, when read by a "noob", send the message that the community here is just another high school clique dedicated to those of us who view ourselves as special and "above" them. People in general do not like to be made fun of and will usually trigger a negative responce.

This community was established to help nurture the hobby in many ways. One of which is to give people a place to come and feel accepted, even as a "noob". This has the inate effect of proliferation, which is something that we claim to desire.

So, if you feel that the hobby gaming nich has reached the size that fits your personal comfort level, please continue to make as many negative posts as you like.

People will handle their situation as they see fit. Some people might actually enjoy the manual search aspect because it satisfies the "hunter and gatherer" portion of their nature.

Just like television......if you dont like the program.....dont watch it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Logging plays since 2004
badge
Oh, so you actually think about what you are saying?
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Should I buy Descent or Runebound for my non-gamer wife to play on our Microsoft Surface Contact computer from an online dealer or FLGS that didn't respond to my email after they sent a bent card in the last game about Euro vs Ameritrash gamers debating the existance of God while using their CH E AP Nokia phones to discuss the XBox version of Talisman?

This would make a good GeekQuestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grandsage wrote:
Wouldnt basic forum etiquette dictate a certain tolerance and understanding from the learned frequent user?

Basic forum etiquette asks users to search topics before starting new posts. Its a standard way of keeping discussions on track and more productive. Every other forum that comes to mind would lock a dupe post with a redirect to the most recent one of the exact topic. It prevents people from only getting half the story. It promotes a more global sharing of ideas and allows more varied topics to be seen on the front page.

We see, very often and correctly, specific game posts being moved to their respective games from the central forum, because that is the proper place for their discussion and will get the proper traffic there.

Posts which are the same as a prior one should also get merged or locked so that everyone congregates at the same place. One does not have a gaming convention where Werewolf is broken into 3 3-player games rather than 1 9-player game. The format thrives on clustering of information, not scattering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if there might be a website engineering solution to this. (Apologies if that's not the right term. I'm not a web programmer -- just an occasional critic of websites.)

The way this and many other sites are set up, a user can create a new thread very easily -- more easily, in fact, than doing a search. It's natural for people to do things the easy way.

What if, instead, the New Thread button only showed up at the bottom of the Search Results List screen? Perhaps something along the lines of "Not finding what you want? Start a new thread by clicking here."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grandsage wrote:
Please, forgive those who do not have enough time in their lives to check the BGG forums daily let alone multiple times daily.

Please, forgive those that can only manage a weekly outing to the Geek.

Please, forgive them if they dont research the weeks postings in complete detail to make sure they dont irritate the more frequent visitor with a rehashing of something "old hat".

Please, please, cant you just find it in your heart to forgive those who didnt make the correct choices in life to allow them the luxury of ample free time?
It is the popular thing on internet forums to call for leniancy with lazy posters reposting (and thereby digressing) recent discussions.

Just because it is tempting to want to "give them a break" or "be nice to the newbies" or "chill out mr crankypants", that doesn't ignore the FACT that
a) reposting disussions devalues them and reduces their effectiveness/benefit, since information/opinions are now spread out amongst multiple threads and people will miss information.
b) if a discussion happened recently, and is easy to find (especially if it's on page 1 or 2 of the forum that's being posted in), then it is sheer laziness and lack of concern for the topic/game/members to post a new topic without looking at least one day back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Grandsage wrote:

Basic forum etiquette asks users to search topics before starting new posts. Its a standard way of keeping discussions on track and more productive. Every other forum that comes to mind would lock a dupe post with a redirect to the most recent one of the exact topic.
This begs the question -

why doesn't BGG do this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Easterlin
United States
Saint Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

Basic forum etiquette asks users to search topics before starting new posts. Its a standard way of keeping discussions on track and more productive. Every other forum that comes to mind would lock a dupe post with a redirect to the most recent one of the exact topic. It prevents people from only getting half the story. It promotes a more global sharing of ideas and allows more varied topics to be seen on the front page.

We see, very often and correctly, specific game posts being moved to their respective games from the central forum, because that is the proper place for their discussion and will get the proper traffic there.

Posts which are the same as a prior one should also get merged or locked so that everyone congregates at the same place. One does not have a gaming convention where Werewolf is broken into 3 3-player games rather than 1 9-player game. The format thrives on clustering of information, not scattering.

So why not use this well stated opinion as opposed to your first post?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
I wonder if there might be a website engineering solution to this. ... ... Perhaps something along the lines of "Not finding what you want? Start a new thread by clicking here."

I see what you're getting at here. I don't know if its the right answer, but I think its the right direction. Maybe a "Hey, did you search for this" next to the post new button.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckimus wrote:
So why not use this well stated opinion as opposed to your first post?

Its long, and I'm willing to bet more people would just scan past it.

Humor gets more attention than monologue.

I'm a marketing guy, its just my nature to pitch with the hook and then reel the facts later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't the way the home page is set up by default part of the reason? Quick scan of between eight and twelve topics in a given area--"no topics on my issue; let's start a new thread"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only hope tomorrow's thread on this topic is more productive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Come join us on the Chit chat forums. I think there's less repetition there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just created a new thread in the BGG Suggestions forum on this topic:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1539968

Please feel free to add your thoughts there as well / instead. If you think my thread's title sucks, please suggest a better one and I'll consider changing it.

The irony of creating a new thread on the topic of too many related threads is not lost on me. I think the "Why are so many posts rehashes" thread really belongs in the Suggestions section (or Chit Chat), but I don't have the power to move it. I'm hoping that by creating a new thread under Suggestions, the bigger problem will get some attention from Aldie and/or the mods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
I just created a new thread in the BGG Suggestions

I don't have a suggestion yet, though. I'm not sure of a solution, just placing an observation out there and seeing if anyone has a great suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.