Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

I have to admit, I've only ever played Reef Encounter of Richard Breese and I didn't care for that game too much. I've since purchased all of his games and I'm slowly getting them to the table. This was the first I was able to play.

The rules surprised me with how easy to play this game is. I always expected more rules and a harder experience. Instead, I got a very interesting bidding mechanic and meeple management game. The tiles are fine. They all sort of do the same thing or some variant of that. They give your either skill tiles or connectors which you use to upgrade your tiles to score even more VP.

The game hinges on the mechanism of using meeples to bid based on color and quantity. Someone beats you to a blue bid, you better punt because you do not have enough to win. This is brilliant and I really liked it. It seemed part of a cool game. Yet, it really is the game here. I wish the tiles were more interesting because that is the missing other half to this game.

At the end of the day, I felt like I got a great half game and a less interesting other half of the game. Even so, I found this game to be pretty darn good. I might need to play with these tiles more to see how they can work together. Very, very good game. Try or buy this one!

Keeper.

Components:

The components are nice. The 3D buildings are neat little cardboard markers. I like the colors on the board, but it does all look a tad drab to me. The icons are easy to understand and to follow. The graphic decisions are really good. Overall, this is an old fashion tile game in the Euro fashion. I believe this is inline with the other Breese games as he has his owns styles. If you like those, you will like these.

Rule Book:

I found the rules to be very easy to understand. I expected a more intense gaming experience and instead I enjoyed a very easy reading experience. I love the historical book that explains all the buildings (non-gaming related) and just the historical nature of the game. The rules are clear and easy to comprehend. We did have a couple of rule questions: specifically, do you get to keep the meeples placed on your own tiles?

Flow of the Game:

The flow of the game is rather easy. The game last for 4 Eras and each player takes one action then the next player, etc until all plays sail (pass).

A turn is really 3 possible main actions:

1. Bid on a tile. Gaining a tile is the main way to score VP. To bid, you bid using your meeples. A bid must be in the same color meeeple (there are three colors) and at least one more. At the end of the round, highest bid wins the tile.

2. Use the tile. You can use any tile on the table (being bid on, you currently own, or another player owns it). A tile may be used multiple times, you must just place more meeples on it than was previously played (of the same color).

3. Upgrade a tile. Most tiles can be flipped over and upgraded to score more VP and/or become more powerful.

You can also pass (and stay in the game) or sail (pass but out of the round). By sailing, you choose where you want to be in turn order, the number of meeples you have for next round, and whether you get the river tile or not (only the person going last gets this).

The game is played via these tiles that will give you different tiles or connectors. These are used to upgrade the different tiles. All of the tiles do something a tad different but nothing ground breaking.

Should I buy this game?:

This is for fans of Breese games and for collectors. These games tend to be hard to get your hands on and you need to jump fast before the prices go up. Otherwise, your satisfaction of this game will come down to enjoying the bidding system. I think it is unique, fun, and new. I can recommend this as a try game. I'll be hanging on to it.

Keeper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spartz
United States
Golden valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Re: The Purge: # 1176 Key to the City - London: A Breese game which streamlines Key Flower...bidding with Keyples (not to be confused with Meeples)
If you thought this was a good "part of" a game you should check out Keyflower next. Key to the City is, from my understanding, a simplified/streamlined version of Keyflower so you may enjoy that one more.

I particularly enjoy Keyflower with the Merchants expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 1176 Key to the City - London: A Breese game which streamlines Key Flower...bidding with Keyples (not to be confused with Meeples)
Sparticuse wrote:
If you thought this was a good "part of" a game you should check out Keyflower next. Key to the City is, from my understanding, a simplified/streamlined version of Keyflower so you may enjoy that one more.

I'm excited to try that one next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:
Sparticuse wrote:

I'm excited to try that one next.

I like Keyflower more, Key to the City: London is kind of the filler version of Keyflower
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.