Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Draugr is a solo game playable in around 20 minutes. You play a revenant hunter tasked with with slaying at least 4 of the 6 draugr that have come to corrupt the town of Stjordal.

What’s a draugr? Literally translated to “again walker”, draugr are, as Todd states “reanimated dead imbued with magical powers”.

The game is played with 21 cards, one custom D6 die, and markers for holy water, iron spikes, and corruption.

Early on. Draugr coming at the town from both sides.

Six draugr will take turns corrupting various locations and people in the town, while you move around the town to add to your supply of holy water and iron spikes, inflict damage on the draugr, or remove corruption from the town. Slay 4 draugr, you win. But if 7 people or locations in the town become fully corrupted (4 corruption markers), you lose.

I lost. 4 townspeople fully corrupted (cards flipped), and 3 locations fully corrupted (middle row, 4 corruption markers that I placed at the tps of the cards).

This is a simple game, but it has that great feeling of desperation - trying to do too much in too little time. The corruption is slowly, but constantly added to the town cards - a constant drip, drip, drip that eventually turns into a flood of corruption. You can work to slow or reverse some of the corruption, but that takes you away from your main task of slaying the draugr.

And, no surprise, Todd Sanders’ graphic design of the game components is just as dreadful as the game itself.

This is a great example of a game where the theme, mechanics, and graphic design all mesh together to create the desired feel of the game.

If I had to nitpick anything in the game, it’s the one multi-use die - it is rolled 2 to 3 times per turn. I’m one of those people that don’t like rolling 1 die, I want a couple to clank together. So, what I may do is create a separate die with just the 6 symbols. That way, one turn would entail one roll of 2 dice: the draugr die, and the symbol die together to determine with townspeople or locations get corrupted. For me at least, one roll of 2 dice will be better than two rolls of 1 die. Like I said, just a minor nitpick based on my personal preference.

Overall, a great game, very well designed and executed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the great review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Lokemoen
msg tools
I often wonder what other people are looking for in games. Y'know, what makes some games get to be really popular and get to the top of the rankings on BGG, while others fail to catch on?

This review cleared some things up for me, but probably made for more question than answers. If it weren't for my horse I wouldn't have spent that year in college.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike n Phyllis Snedeker
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... Lewis Black reference! Who knew he was a gamer ! laugh

YourHighnessness wrote:
I often wonder what other people are looking for in games. Y'know, what makes some games get to be really popular and get to the top of the rankings on BGG, while others fail to catch on?

This review cleared some things up for me, but probably made for more question than answers. If it weren't for my horse I wouldn't have spent that year in college.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
YourHighnessness wrote:

For me, it's usually a combination of the theme and art that gets my initial attention. Then, when I play it, does the gameplay experience, the "feel", fit well with the theme and art. If this game was cartoony beetles attacking an ant colony, for example, I never would have picked it up to play it.

This game is "zombies attacking a town". How many games out there have this theme, or something close? But, the art of this one really grabbed me. Then, when I played it, it didn't disappoint.

YourHighnessness wrote:

I know it was a short review, I didn't cover every detail of gameplay. I'd be glad to try to answer any questions.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
If I had to nitpick anything in the game, it’s the one multi-use die - it is rolled 2 to 3 times per turn. I’m one of those people that don’t like rolling 1 die, I want a couple to clank together. So, what I may do is create a separate die with just the 6 symbols. That way, one turn would entail one roll of 2 dice: the draugr die, and the symbol die together to determine with townspeople or locations get corrupted. For me at least, one roll of 2 dice will be better than two rolls of 1 die. Like I said, just a minor nitpick based on my personal preference.

Not the best quality, but I did it:

Now, every turn will be one roll of 2 dice to determine Draugr and cards to corrupt in a single roll of both dice. If needed, roll again for the Protective Sigil. For me at least, this will be a bit more enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.