Scott Mansfield
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to the game and am loving it! I have a good handle on the Riverine movement rules for the most part but get hung up on specific situations. The question I have is about the letter codes within each port space. Do I follow the codes when checking whether the Union has river control or the physical river depiction. My example is as follows, With a CSA fort in Paducah, KY and CSA fort in Evansville, IN may a CSA force move out of Paducah, KY into Cairo, IL if the Union has no fort in Cairo (see picture at the bottom)

I asked about the letter codes or physical river depiction because under rule 6.62 example B it states if the CSA had a fort in St Louis, Vincennes and Louisville than the CSA would deny Union river control over Cairo and thus a CSA force could move from Paducah into Cairo. But Paducah only has the river letter codes or Ohio(O) and Tennessee(T) so if the CSA denies control over these rivers into Paducah at Evansville and Paducah proper isn't that enough to cross the Paducah river crossing blue line, for there is no (M) or (W) river codes in Paducah. The rulebook example lists Vincennes, but the Wabash(W) River doesn't flow into Paducah as per the letter codes but does if going by the physical river depiction.

I guess the main question is are the space letter codes or the physical river depictions (as the enter or circumnavigate a space) used when determining Union river control?

I'm well aware that this space on the map is the most confusing for riverine rule implementation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mansfield
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the Wabash(W) flow into Paducah?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
No, but it flows into the Ohio. In general, the physical configuration of the rivers is what is important, although the letter codes clarify what rivers are represented by the blue edges of the riverine areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mansfield
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing using the river codes as the indication for which rivers the CSA can deny Union control, but then two different examples in the rulebook 'seem' contradictory. Under 6.62 Example B it's stated that a CSA fort in St Louis, Louisville and Vincennes would deny Union control over Cairo, which I can see:

1. But why Vincennes I was wondering, wouldn't a single CSA fort in Evansville negate the need for one in both Vincennes or Louisville since Cairo and Paducah (and every space south of Vincennes) don't have the Wabash(W) river code. Unless you're following the physical depiction of the rivers. But then:

2. In example A on P.27 it's stated that a fort in Paducah wouldn't deny Union river control over dover (except for the (T) river crossing) since Paducah doesn't have the Cumberland(C) river code, but the physical depiction of the Cumberland River shows it entering the Ohio and than Paducah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Evansville is NE of where the Wabash flows into the Ohio; it cannot block UNC flowing down the Wabash to Paducah. (The notation "O" in Evansville makes it clear that it does NOT sit on the Wabash.)

2) Paducah is SW of where the Cumberland flows into the Ohio; it cannot block UNC flowing down from the Wabash or upper Ohio to the junction of the Ohio and Cumberland and then up the Cumberland to Dover. (The notation "O, T" in Paducah makes it clear that it does NOT sit on the Cumberland.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mansfield
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see it now! Thank you for your patience and help, much obliged!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.