United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played this again and I found it to be a breeze in comparison to my other sessions. Since I don't have to use all phases even if I roll them, I commonly just skipped Exploration and Native Contact if they came up, as my experience tells me that the majority of results for those tables are just terrible and very detrimental. I tended to reroll all of my dice to get Movement and Mapping results so that I could activate those phases and keep moving as much as possible.

Since I rolled 1d6 and got "Archaeology" as my expedition type, I got free Interests any time I moved using a trail into a terrain type other than my current hex. This led to several fortuitous Interests, including getting Diego Mendoza right off the bat, greasing the wheels for all future rolls. I ended up rolling a Mission, two Natural Wonders, and three Lagos de Oro results. The latter confused me a bit, since I rolled the second one only a turn after I rolled the first one. Since I only moved a single hex, I ended up combining the two results into a five-hex lake. This sort of snowballed towards the end of the game as my mapping results kept rolling between six and nine, resulting in "use the same terrain you're currently on," making one enormous lake that stretched for almost a full quarter of the map, including my third Lagos de Oro roll.

The majority of my mapping ended up with either lakes or plains, making for easy travel, especially the Lagos de Oro. I scored thirty-seven points between mapping (counting the Lagos de Oro and pre-seeded terrain), all six remaining conquistadors (I never lost one!), and two natural wonders. Wow. It was still a tense game, but it seemed... too good to be true.

A follow-up question regards movement in particular. The RAW state that movement requires five points, but a trail is discounted to three points. Is movement, in fact, a requirement of four points, rather than five?

In addition, if plains hexes "count one results as six results for movement," does this mean that a single face for the movement die counts as a six? This was still confusing to me. If it takes five (or four, or three) points of movement to move to a new mapped hex, how do the advantages/disadvantages of certain terrain types actually interact with the movement die mechanically? I assume it doesn't mean that plains let ONLY die faces showing one as a six, and not affecting all other rolls...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Did I do --too-- well?
Annowme wrote:
I tended to reroll all of my dice to get Movement and Mapping results so that I could activate those phases and keep moving as much as possible.

Thanks for playing and finding a great stratey to win with. It might seem a bit repetitive, but you mentioned that it was still tense! Excellent. However, there was one small rule misinterpretation that may have helped you to a flawless victory; Lagos de Oro.

Annowme wrote:

I ended up rolling a Mission, two Natural Wonders, and three Lagos de Oro results.

Unfortunately, all of the Interests are unique except for Natural Wonders. So when you rolled Lagos de Oro a second and third time, they should have defaulted to Natural Wonders

Annowme wrote:

The majority of my mapping ended up with either lakes or plains, making for easy travel, especially the Lagos de Oro.

Nice luck!

Annowme wrote:

A follow-up question regards movement in particular. The RAW state that movement requires five points, but a trail is discounted to three points. Is movement, in fact, a requirement of four points, rather than five?

I believe it's 5 without trail and 3 with trail.

Annowme wrote:

In addition, if plains hexes "count one results as six results for movement," does this mean that a single face for the movement die counts as a six? This was still confusing to me.

Whenever a single pip (one) comes up on either of the two six-sided dice while rolling for movement, change that one (or both ones if you rolled snake-eyes) to six. For instance, if you rolled a 3 and a 1 (which is a total of 4, which is lame) during movement, you would change the 1 to a 6. Thus your total would be 9.

Annowme wrote:

If it takes five (or four, or three) points of movement to move to a new mapped hex, how do the advantages/disadvantages of certain terrain types actually interact with the movement die mechanically?

The terrain effects come into play when you are running a River Guide expedition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Did I do --too-- well?
kzinti wrote:
Annowme wrote:
I tended to reroll all of my dice to get Movement and Mapping results so that I could activate those phases and keep moving as much as possible.

Thanks for playing and finding a great stratey to win with. It might seem a bit repetitive, but you mentioned that it was still tense! Excellent. However, there was one small rule misinterpretation that may have helped you to a flawless victory; Lagos de Oro.

Okay, so Lagos de Oro is a unique interest and cannot be played multiple times. I assume you're implying that those two additional Lagos de Oro results would have, instead, counted as +4 points due to defaulting to Natural Wonders, leading to a "flawless victory"?

kzinti wrote:
Annowme wrote:

I ended up rolling a Mission, two Natural Wonders, and three Lagos de Oro results.

Unfortunately, all of the Interests are unique except for Natural Wonders. So when you rolled Lagos de Oro a second and third time, they should have defaulted to Natural Wonders

Thanks for that clarification, Mike. I now see that I missed that in the rules under the "Phase 7--Interests" section.

"Each Interest (except for Natural Wonder) is unique. If the same result is rolled at a later time in another hex, it becomes a Natural Wonder instead. Each hex is limited to only 1 interest."

kzinti wrote:
Annowme wrote:

The majority of my mapping ended up with either lakes or plains, making for easy travel, especially the Lagos de Oro.

Nice luck!

Diego Mendoza and a few wild dice really helped to game the mapping results into that sweet, sweet 6-9 range once I was standing at a lake or plains hex.

kzinti wrote:
Annowme wrote:

I believe it's 5 without trail and 3 with trail.

Okay. Got it.

kzinti wrote:
Annowme wrote:

In addition, if plains hexes "count one results as six results for movement," does this mean that a single face for the movement die counts as a six? This was still confusing to me.

Whenever a single pip (one) comes up on either of the two six-sided dice while rolling for movement, change that one (or both ones if you rolled snake-eyes) to six. For instance, if you rolled a 3 and a 1 (which is a total of 4, which is lame) during movement, you would change the 1 to a 6. Thus your total would be 9.

I see now. My confusion was mixing up movement as a phase (the 2d6 results check) and static movement tracking die (which is only there to track how many movement "points" are available).

kzinti wrote:
Annowme wrote:

If it takes five (or four, or three) points of movement to move to a new mapped hex, how do the advantages/disadvantages of certain terrain types actually interact with the movement die mechanically?

The terrain effects come into play when you are running a River Guide expedition.

RAW say "River Guiding: You can cross Cataracts. You are immune to death icons while on the river." I don't see anything there that has to do with other terrain effects.

My question has to do with, as an example, mountains, which state "6s are counted as 5s during the Movement Phase. 5s are counted as 6s during Hunting." So given your clarification above, if I rolled two 6s during Phase 2--Movement, I would count those as 5s, so get a result of 10, not 12. But if I roll 5s, 4s, 3s, 2s, or 1s, those results are unaffected by the modifier for mountains in regards to movement (and the same principle applies to other phases and their terrain modifiers)?

This is a stand-out solitaire adventure game. I'd liken it to Utopia Engine in innovation, creativity, and strong narrative tied to the mechanics. Well done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:

My question has to do with, as an example, mountains, which state "6s are counted as 5s during the Movement Phase. 5s are counted as 6s during Hunting." So given your clarification above, if I rolled two 6s during Phase 2--Movement, I would count those as 5s, so get a result of 10, not 12. But if I roll 5s, 4s, 3s, 2s, or 1s, those results are unaffected by the modifier for mountains in regards to movement (and the same principle applies to other phases and their terrain modifiers)?

Correct. You are not the only one to stumble over the "terrain modifier" rules, so that tells me that I need to rewrite them for clarification. Do you mind if I use your example?

Annowme wrote:

This is a stand-out solitaire adventure game. I'd liken it to Utopia Engine in innovation, creativity, and strong narrative tied to the mechanics. Well done!

Thanks Jim for the high praise! If interested in this theme, it's continued in 1672: The Lost Crew.
Have a happy New Year!
MH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike, feel free to use that example for clarification in the rules/errata. As for 1672, I have it printed and ready to go. I'll try it soon! Are you planning on making a centennial series out of XX72 games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

1872 The Lost Crows -- Native Tribe fleeing across Montana to Canada. This will have some "choose your own adventure" narrative elements and a mechanic more like Utopia Engine (subtract top and bottom numbers to get as close to 0 as possible without goin under). It's currently in ideas phase and I plan on pulling something together for the next 1-page PnP or Solitaire contest.

1972 The Lost Phantom -- An American F4 pilot crashes behind behind enemy lines in Vietnam during Operation Linebacker. You must navigate the wounded pilot back to the coast while avoiding detection, capture, or death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.