flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 3:
Wade-Portugal (3rd game 2nd full game)
Larry- England (same as above)
Todd-first game period

After a strange 6-person experience I was keen to try out tactics in a second, smaller game. I wanted to see if a discovery strategy was beatable.

I drew first place and for some strange reason nobody booted me all game!?! Portugal's explorers were soon all over the American coasts, while England decided to sail to the Caribbean with their trusty maps. Having experience in the Spice Island Portugal knew that having a military presence is crucial, and they diversified well with lots of soldiers sailing to their newly discovered regions. Crafty captains allowed them to never come home empty all game, going as far as Ethiopia in the later rounds.

England liked hot climates and soon began to colonize Central America and Peru, while the Portuguese took the East Coast. The Dutch were busy building a merchant fleet and economic empire and were late to the colonizing race. Five spaces were TIGHT and mid game it would fill up right away.

About mid game the crafty Dutch merchants beat me out of another ship, I lost 3 actions and I was down after that although I continued to focus on soldiers and discovery.

The Dutch had built an amazing fleet and impressive Amsterdam downtown (many capitol buildings) and had tons of cash. The Portuguese were crafty as well and had the +10$ buildings hocking olive oil and wine to the thirsty English The Dutch somehow found god during their wealthy frivolities and made sure that everyone in the new world "found" their god as well. The missionary and cathedral combo was scary and I soon feared there would be a doobie joint on every cobblestone street corner in America.

The New World filled out, each of us with spheres of influence and the final 2 turns saw us buying up capitol buildings, Lisbon becoming the jewel of the Mediterranean, while Amsterdam was awash in fine marble buildings (Todd had 8 or so capitol buildings). Going first really helped me get the solider bonus, wealth, and a factory! +30$ saw that all Portuguese had universal health care. The Portuguese leader remarked that the descendents of the most powerful new world country would surely provide universal health care across the Americas

The Dutch turned pirate(of course), and our lack of understanding about the privateer card was interesting. Todd was soon stealing 4-6$ per turn from us. Despite numerous men at arms throughout the New World, Portugal failed to attack, drawn by capitol buildings and the lure of the Orient (opps).

The game ended and the English quietly had the colonization lead, with the well-armed Portuguese unable to keep up the pace, the Ductch were 20 pts behind England.

Final Scores:
Dutch: colonies-33
Discovery-10
Bonuses- 25
Economy- 17
FINAL-85

English C-55
D-22
B-18
E-19
Final- 114

Portuguese
C-43
D-24
B-35
E-17
Final- 119

The Portuguese made it over the top by bribing the others with their magnificent wealth from their nascent factory for beaucoup bonus pts.

I am very impressed at the balance. Despite totally different strategies we all ended up flush(sort of), EXCEPT discoveries and colonies. You cannot neglect these two facets as they are pretty easy way to get a good amount of points. You just cannot fall behind on any one sector unless you totally dominate something else. I was really surprised to see Larry so close to my discovery level but he bought the discoveries capitol building, which helped, and I got lame card discoveries.

Strangely enough a 3-person game was tenser to me, and way more enjoyable than the six. I think four people ought to be perfect. This game is excellent. I felt like a nice meld of PR, Caylus, and El Grande- to me that is a great thing. The balance is pretty amazing and you feel like your playing this sentient machine as everything works wonderfully to allow you play specific and particular path. I really feel like building a little empire with it's own unique traits all in under 2 hours.

I love this game, and if you don’t like it you’re not invited to my game night anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Condit
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So then I fell its safe to assume that you will be bringing AoE tonight to Dougs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
denverarch wrote:
Final Scores:
Ducth: colonies-33
Discovery-10
Bonuses- 25
Economy- 17
FINAL-85

English C-55
D-22
B-18
E-19
Final- 114

Portuguese
C-43
D-24
B-35
E-17
Final- 119

What am I missing? How can the colony scoring be an odd number? You can only score 6 or 2 points. How can you get scores of 33, 55 and 43?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point. I think the vp track is hard to read, I probably skipped the corner number somehow. I did all the VP movement so it was a uniform mistakeshake. Good catch. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but I'll play anything. Once a week is good, although twice in two days won't hurt So many strategies to work on, and so balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Gilligan
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
denverarch wrote:
Good point. I think the vp track is hard to read, I probably skipped the corner number somehow. I did all the VP movement so it was a uniform mistakeshake. Good catch. meeple

We didn't use the scoring track in our six player game. We used poker chips for colony scoring. Red chip for 6 points, green chip for 2 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Samuraicat wrote:
denverarch wrote:

We didn't use the scoring track in our six player game. We used poker chips for colony scoring. Red chip for 6 points, green chip for 2 points.

That is a great idea! I think I'll use glass beads instead so that I can keep them with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adi Krupski
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
TMJJS wrote:
denverarch wrote:
Final Scores:
Ducth: colonies-33
Discovery-10
Bonuses- 25
Economy- 17
FINAL-85

English C-55
D-22
B-18
E-19
Final- 114

Portuguese
C-43
D-24
B-35
E-17
Final- 119

What am I missing? How can the colony scoring be an odd number? You can only score 6 or 2 points. How can you get scores of 33, 55 and 43?

It's possible to get an odd number of victory points at the end of the game since you score victory points for your trade goods, and three of one kind is equal to three dollars or three victory points at the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
He meant that it is impossible to have an odd number for colony scoring since the only points awarded are either 6 or 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Samuraicat wrote:

Me too.

Two colors of chips now permanently reside in the box and we just add them all at the end and don't use the scoring track at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The game was really designed to keep track of scoring on paper. We only added the scoring track a week before going to press (to meet the demand from players here on the geek!). That's why it's so small...it was added to art along the edge that already existed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bummer. Didn't get to play again last night although it got requests. Played my home brew instead: game nights are not long enough!. Next week for sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.