Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: [Solved] [Newbie] Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Suman Jampala
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
1. If a player rolls the 'eye' side of a dice, and did not spend an action to obtain a focus token, does this mean that the 'eye' side of the dice does not do anything?
2. A player can perform 1 standard action and 1 free action ( if applicable ) for every ship, right?
3. Can a player choose to not use the maneuvering dial, and remain stationary during the action phase? ( I think the answer is yes, but I wanted to confirm )

4. I did not understand the following sentence that is listed under 'Perform Action' under the 'Activation Phase' on page 4, Rules Reference.

"When an ability instructs a ship to execute a specific maneuver, it resolves only the "Execute Maneuver" step."

5. How does the Initiative token get passed around after each round?

Thank you in advance!!
OneFabric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Re: [Newbie] Questions
OneFabric wrote:
1. If a player rolls the 'eye' side of a dice, and did not spend an action to obtain a focus token, does this mean that the 'eye' side of the dice does not do anything?

Correct. If you do not have a Focus token to spend, then the focus (eye) result is usually the same as a blank. There are situations based on abilities that might allow a Focus die to do something.

Quote:
2. A player can perform 1 standard action and 1 free action ( if applicable ) for every ship, right?

1 standard action is given. Depending on what is allowed by the specific situation, you can have several free actions. However, each action must be different. So if you did a standard action focus, you could not get a free focus action and get 2 focus tokens.

Quote:
3. Can a player choose to not use the maneuvering dial, and remain stationary during the action phase? ( I think the answer is yes, but I wanted to confirm )

No. In order to stay still, you must have that on your dial (expansions packs like the Lambda introduce this). You must always take a maneuver and do the maneuver you selected.

Quote:
4. I did not understand the following sentence that is listed under 'Perform Action' under the 'Activation Phase' on page 4, Rules Reference.

"When an ability instructs a ship to execute a specific maneuver, it resolves only the "Execute Maneuver" step."

In other words you just move, you do not also get another action to take.

Quote:
5. How does the Initiative token get passed around after each round?

There is no initiative token in this game. That is Armada. Initiative is set either by the scenario or based on number of points in squad building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suman Jampala
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Thank you very much Brian!!

All but one question has been cleared, and I appreciate that.

Regarding that single question, I am not sure I understood what you meant by the initiative token.

I thought this was the initiative token?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OneFabric wrote:

Regarding that single question, I am not sure I understood what you meant by the initiative token.

That's just used to show who has initiative for the game. It was a new addition to the second core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DailyRich wrote:
OneFabric wrote:

That's just used to show who has initiative for the game. It was a new addition to the second core set.

And as such it stays with the same player the entire game. That player is determined before a single item is placed on the board. Intiative can be determined by who has the fewest points in their build (that person gets to chose) or roll a die/flip a coin (again, winner gets to chose).

Most players never use the token, as it was not included in the initial release and isn't really needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sorry. Didn't realize the new core had an initiative token. Or if I did, dismissed it from my memory. As stated, it wasn't part of the original game and not needed. Initiative didn't change so no real need to mark it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suman Jampala
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Thank you very much Brian, Richard and Swampy!! That clears everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.