Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: My design needs parts that don't exist rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Yordy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on a design that calls for small wooden cubes with various things printed on each of the sides of it.

For testing I just used a metallic pen to write on the cubes but as far as I can tell, nothing like this is available commercially. Dice with stickered faces would be the closest thing I can find but they are much too large for what I am doing.

Any suggestions?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you not use wooden cubes with tiny stickers?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's relatively easy to print and apply water-slide decals. They can hold sharp detail at tiny sizes and the background is transparent so you could still see the cube color underneath. Miniature war gamers use them a lot for unit markings and other sharp, repeated details that are hard to paint clearly. They are a little more fiddly to apply than stickers but they look better and won't come off as easily as stickers.

I would either get some water-slide sheets and make them yourself or contact one of the many Etsy sellers who make custom ones.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Custom dice are not hard to commission.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Would a "dice track" work?

A sheet with the images in a row. roll 1D6 and take the rolled column image as the result.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Yordy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
anijunk wrote:
Would a "dice track" work?

A sheet with the images in a row. roll 1D6 and take the rolled column image as the result.


No, the usage is similar to war games where you turn a block to show remaining unit strength...just on a smaller scale.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say buy the wooden cubes, buy a fine paintbrush, paint the symbols, and then clear coat your dice.

You can buy printed cubes, but odds are it will be an expensive component - just compare prices of regular to printed meeples at a site like meeplesource.com and you'll see.

How small of a cube are you needing (in mm) and how complex of a graphic are you planning on having on each face? It might not actually be technologically feasible to mass print your desired component, in which case you need to alter your design.

As to the component, with the vague description the closest thing I can think of that was ever produced is The Fellowship of the Ring, which used very tiny 6 sided dice with one face having a letter/blank sticker on it and the others representing a mode of transport (foot, water, horse, sneak, flying, etc):



I think you said this solution won't work, but I just wanted you to be aware that a wargame with complex information portrayed by using tiny dice has been done - and tiny dice are available.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Scale up the map and use the customisable dice sold in the BGG store?

How many cubes are needed? If it's in the dozens it might not be that bad to get them custom-made. If it's for a prototype I'd just go with a bucket of cubes, sticker sheets, print small and cut with a very sharp knife.

If you need hundreds of cubes it's expensive even for blank ones at the non-pro level. Not sure what proper etching would cost, but I expect it only to be cost-effective at production scale.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
substandardtim wrote:
anijunk wrote:
Would a "dice track" work?

A sheet with the images in a row. roll 1D6 and take the rolled column image as the result.


No, the usage is similar to war games where you turn a block to show remaining unit strength...just on a smaller scale.


You mean something like


These are counters and can be double sided.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marowske
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
substandardtim wrote:
I'm working on a design that calls for small wooden cubes with various things printed on each of the sides of it.

For testing I just used a metallic pen to write on the cubes but as far as I can tell, nothing like this is available commercially. Dice with stickered faces would be the closest thing I can find but they are much too large for what I am doing.

Any suggestions?


Well, such a thing is possible I guess as Game Plus sells cubes with designs printed or etched on the sides. You may want to reach out to them.

http://gameplusproducts.com/product/color-cube-combo-pack/

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Yordy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
esquire468 wrote:
substandardtim wrote:
I'm working on a design that calls for small wooden cubes with various things printed on each of the sides of it.

For testing I just used a metallic pen to write on the cubes but as far as I can tell, nothing like this is available commercially. Dice with stickered faces would be the closest thing I can find but they are much too large for what I am doing.

Any suggestions?


Well, such a thing is possible I guess as Game Plus sells cubes with designs printed or etched on the sides. You may want to reach out to them.

http://gameplusproducts.com/product/color-cube-combo-pack/



Thanks, this is actually the first I have seen anyone printing on cubes themselves.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Bonaparte at Marengo
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


These games had custom wooden dice, to name a few.

Pirate Dice: Voyage on the Rolling Seas
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age
Roll Through the Ages: The Iron Age

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.