Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Mauer
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just reviewing the rules for 1886 and there's a couple of things I'm confused on:

1. Starting in phase 5, the rules say "Offboard areas use middle '5' revenue box". Does the "5" mean that you have to use a 5-train to receive that level of revenue (similar to 1889 D-train), or does it merely mean that it becomes active in phase 5, but all trains get the benefit?

2. Similarly in phase D, "Offboard areas use bottom 'D' revenue box" -- is that 1889-style where only a D-train gets this revenue or do all trains get it?

3. rules say (for example) that in phase 2, only 2-trains are available, but phase 3 starts when the first 3-train is bought. How does a 3-train ever get bought if they are not available? (I assume this works like other 18xx games where you can buy the next level as soon as the previous level runs out, but the rulebook doesn't really say that)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hawke wrote:
1. Starting in phase 5, the rules say "Offboard areas use middle '5' revenue box". Does the "5" mean that you have to use a 5-train to receive that level of revenue (similar to 1889 D-train), or does it merely mean that it becomes active in phase 5, but all trains get the benefit?

The latter.

Quote:
rules say (for example) that in phase 2, only 2-trains are available, but phase 3 starts when the first 3-train is bought. How does a 3-train ever get bought if they are not available? (I assume this works like other 18xx games where you can buy the next level as soon as the previous level runs out, but the rulebook doesn't really say that)

Yes, the rules aren't precise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Promise me there won't be any squares at my funeral
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer's intention as far as I call can tell was for the game to work like 1830 as much as possible. If something seems off or you are otherwise in doubt, do as you would for 1830.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Mauer
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
The designer's intention as far as I call can tell was for the game to work like 1830 as much as possible. If something seems off or you are otherwise in doubt, do as you would for 1830.

Yeah, that's been my assumption but it was unclear since 1830 only has two values for off-board areas while this game has three.

While I'm on the topic of off-board areas, is there any significance to the different-colored off-board areas (i.e. grey ones such as Ise Shrine, Nakagawa, Kameyama vs. red ones such as Owase, Mt. Yuno Hot Springs, Iname)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Promise me there won't be any squares at my funeral
mbmbmbmbmb
The red areas are offboard (links neighbouring cities), while the grey areas are onboard cities that cannot be upgraded. They are grey just to prevent you placing a tile on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.