Subject: Sentinels of the Multiverse: Talking you off the fence rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had this game for nearly two years now and I can say with certainty that I love it much more now than I did when I bought it. At first, I thought it was all about doing damage (some reviews have even said that it's boring because all you try to do is the most damage each turn) but that's completely untrue. I was losing consistently, and deliberately avoided certain heroes because I just couldn't see their value - Absolute Zero, Nighmist, The Argent Adept, and others. It's only after playing it more that the game really started to shine for me, when I grasped how some of these heroes should be played. Hint: doing damage isn't the be-all and end-all.

I have to admit that the PC version is my preferred way of playing when going solo (otherwise it does get rather scatty with cards here, there and everywhere) but with two to four other people this is one of the very best games I own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mara Johannes-Graham
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Hello Tim,

Absolutely, I will pass it on. We appreciate all feedback!

Mara
Sales & Marketing Director
Greater Than Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fruit Eating Bear wrote:
I was losing consistently, and deliberately avoided certain heroes because I just couldn't see their value - Absolute Zero, Nighmist, The Argent Adept, and others. It's only after playing it more that the game really started to shine for me, when I grasped how some of these heroes should be played. Hint: doing damage isn't the be-all and end-all.

I need to play with them more (digital version) because those heroes never clicked with me. I can see potential and it's a very different playstyle, I just never gave them the attention they needed.
SotM is one of my favorite co-ops. I play the PC version or the Android version for a quick game but even solo I will sometimes get out the cardboard version (plus I've got a lot more expansions in the paper version.)
With the right people who can get into the theme, it's a blast. I try not to stress out over the bookkeeping, if I miss something, oh well, move on, catch it next time.

It can be a surprisingly nuanced game that rewards experience with certain characters. I think the art is fine - I prefer my comics to lean a little more toward the Bam! Pow! than the OhSoDarkandGritty style, and it adds to the excitement of the game.

I tend to "direct" play when playing with newbies - not so much telling them what to do, but suggesting they choose among these 8 characters, and "controlling" the game just to keep it moving.
I also use an app to pick a configuration that should return a 40%-70% chance of winning, depending on who's playing. When playing solo, I'll play 3 or 4 characters, pick a hero and environment I really want to play, then use the randomizer for the rest.

Most exciting recent game play memory - fighting the Matriarch in Silver Gulch. She had like two cards left in her deck and no minions out. She played the "bring back all your minions from the discard pile" card. OMG. Everyone, heroes and villains, were down to less than 5HP each. The Sheriff came out and hit her for a few points, and the next turn an environment barrel exploded (or was attacked by a hero) and did X damage to everyone, killing many of her minions and the Matriarch herself, while doing enough damage to the heroes that we were all almost unconscious lying on the dirt next to the saloon, and the residents of the town wondered what juat happened as we pulled our wounded selves back up in victory.
It was awesome :)

Such a great game, even with its challenges.
Looking forward to Oblivaeon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cullen
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dtcarson wrote:
I try not to stress out over the bookkeeping, if I miss something, oh well, move on, catch it next time.

This is how I play whether solo or with friends - try my best to stay on top of the modifiers/accounting but if I realise I've missed something I just move on and try to remember it next turn/round/game.

For me, it's much more about the narrative and the fun of the fight than getting the accounting side absolutely right. The 'stress' of keeping track of everything just disappears once you accept you're going to make mistakes now and then; just get over it and have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irrevenant the Not-so-mighty
msg tools
srtown wrote:
I think one other item to add to your review is that it is also significant which heroes you put against which villains. As you play the game and learn the ins and outs of the different villains and heroes you'll learn that it can be possible to arrange heroes against villains in a way that you can't win.

Super-belated reply to this, but I don't think anyone else spoke to it.

The game has been designed such that all combinations are winnable. Some matches are definitely much more challenging than others, but they should all be doable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.