Mark Schipper
Australia
Aberfoyle Park
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi There.

If you were having a news years eve party (or any largish party) what two games would you bring out to play with non gamers?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christopher
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Codenames as you can just break off in to two teams and this game is widely accepted by everyone.

If I had to pick a 2nd game I would say something like Wits & Wagers Party..people tend to have a lot of fun with the whole trivia/gambling thing..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had good luck with a homemade version of Win, Lose, or Banana for a crowd. But it loses its novelty after about 3 minutes so it's probably best as a brief icebreaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Codenames: Pictures, and Unusual Suspects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Black
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards Against Humanity is usually fun with a large group of people. Is this too obvious an answer? blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Macady Smith
msg tools
The Resistance. It was the first game I showed to my friends and is a huge hit still
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Can't lose with Codenames! Not sure what the second should be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trivia games like Wits and wagers would work. Telestrations has never failed me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for both Codenames and Wits & Wagers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm bringing Wits & Wagers Party and Junk Art

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Croft
United States
Smithfield
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely second both Cards Against Humanity and Wits & Wagers. CAH is great with large groups, especially ones comprised of terrible people Accomodates a large group, flexible for people to pick up or leave as they choose. Also easy to lure people to play without the typical hard sell to play games with non gamers.

Wits & Wagers is fantastic. Because it's a trivia game, but it's one where you don't have to actually know any of the answers. Just have to be the best guesser. I've played it a lot with a few different groups and the gambling aspect was a big appeal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Slaven
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might consider The Great Dalmuti, which has a number of virtues you may find useful. It's simple enough that drunks can play it (but not completely lacking in meaningful decisions). People can enter and leave at will, since each hand is more or less its own game. A new player can learn it by watching one hand before jumping in. Can be enhanced by using hats to denote social status.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Schurmann

Perth
Australia
msg tools
mbmbmb
Monikers is always a riot. I've also had a lot of success with Snake Oil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nittanyfan12
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Say Anything is another good party game that is easy to teach and goes over well with non-gamers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came here to write Codenames but I'll pitch Telestrations: 12 Player Party Packas everyone else beat me to Codenames already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Miller
United States
Winter Park
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll jump on the Codenames bandwagon, this one seems to work for most groups. We've also had a great time with Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition). It plays up to 8, takes a few minutes to explain; but once everyone gets the hang of it, you'll be having a great time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balaji Iyengar
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
Valandil (God-friend)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Secret Hitler
And Captain Sonar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.