4 Posts

Dixit: Odyssey» Forums » Rules

Subject: Obvious storyteller v Devious storyteller rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom X
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Having read through a lot of the threads here, I think trying to give points to the storyteller "per correct answer" might defeat the point in the game, as it's not necessarily better to have, say, 5/6 people guess correctly than 1/6.

However, is there a case for differing the scores for the non-storyteller depending on whether it was "all" correct or "none" correct? And is there a scoring mathematical reason why this shouldn't be altered?

My thinking is that 2pts to everyone bar storyteller for when everyone gets it, but only 1pt all round when no-one gets it. Logic being that the guessers haven't really achieved anything for their 2pts, even if the clue is vague.

Plus I think it makes for a better game when the clue is more open ended...!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrfahaji wrote:
Having read through a lot of the threads here, I think trying to give points to the storyteller "per correct answer" might defeat the point in the game, ...

That does not represent the scoring as found in the rules so I have to conclude you are making a case against something else. Without further reference as to where this thought comes from I can't offer debate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrfahaji wrote:
My thinking is that 2pts to everyone bar storyteller for when everyone gets it, but only 1pt all round when no-one gets it. Logic being that the guessers haven't really achieved anything for their 2pts, even if the clue is vague.

I interpreted that the existing 2 points for the no-one case was more about discrediting the story teller than about what the guessing players "achieved". It's a consolation prize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom X
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
TVis wrote:
mrfahaji wrote:

I interpreted that the existing 2 points for the no-one case was more about discrediting the story teller than about what the guessing players "achieved". It's a consolation prize.

Yes, true. However you would still be discrediting them by giving 1 point to all the other players. My question was why, as an alternative scoring system, this might cause problems with the game mechanics.

I think perhaps a key reason is that the best outcome for a storyteller is that one person guesses correctly rather than all-but-one, as then only one other player picks up three points. Therefore if players also only got 1 point apiece for 0 correct, the incentive for the storyteller to make the clue really difficult and hope for one lucky guess is too strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.