Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: Jabba's Ream New Campaign Rules - Should Apply To All Campaigns rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
SlyFox
msg tools
mb
I noticed two new rules in the Jabba's Realm expansion:

1. Imperial player cannot have more than 4 agenda cards in his hand.

2. If you have one or more expansions, then you choose half of the deck rather than 6 cards during the rebel upgrade state.

I like both rules as they prevent power creep for the imperial player and gives more options to the rebel players. I will be applying these rules for all future campaigns from here on forward including core set and released expansion boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no real reason not to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slyfoxbgg wrote:

Hand doesn't count agenda missions purchased or deplete cards right? I've been playing with a similar restriction myself as it can be unfair if IP saves all cards for finale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm counting agenda cards on the play area too.

Do whichever pleases you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary McCloskey
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that letting them go through half the deck is crazy. We played the core set wrong and I let them go thought the entire tier deck for like the first half of the campaign. The heroes are so strong it is hard for me to stop them I have only won two missions Aftermath and Incoming. So I think that those two rules will only be added once we see how our Return to hoth campaign goes in the next couple of months. Cant get to it right at this moment. I think it would have been easier for them to fix the cards of the costed figures than messing with the game. It seems that they are really changing the campaign mechanics and not in a good way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slyfoxbgg wrote:

2. If you have one or more expansions, then you choose half of the deck rather than 6 cards during the rebel upgrade state.

I like both rules as they prevent power creep for the imperial player and gives more options to the rebel players. I will be applying these rules for all future campaigns from here on forward including core set and released expansion boxes.

I don't have Jabba's Realm yet, and the rules aren't online. For #2, is that exactly how its worded? That seems a bit overkill, but I agree it needs to be more than 6. The more items added to the item decks, the less likely the heroes will get any good items (I have the same problem with Eldritch Horror). I can see why they added this rule, but I think maybe a quarter or third of the item deck, but half seems too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You had half the deck with just the core set. Why not half the deck with the expansions too? This means you actually get to see your cool new cards that you have, rather than them being stuck in the deck forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So do you recalculate the deck size as items are bought? That is, if the heroes buy four tier I items in their first upgrade phase, do they end up with two fewer items available the next time they are shopping?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty
United States
California
flag msg tools
Clipper wrote:
You had half the deck with just the core set. Why not half the deck with the expansions too? This means you actually get to see your cool new cards that you have, rather than them being stuck in the deck forever.

There's still no guarantee that you'll see any items as you shuffle the deck after the spend credits part of the Rebel upgrade stage is completed. But you're odds are better when you get to see half every time rather than 6.

The craziest part for me is that on the missions where you get 2 tiers of items, that's going to be 20+ cards on the table if you have all the expansions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sinfield
msg tools
The initial campaign had 12 items in each upgrade level, and you looked at half of them. This didn't change when you removed items from the pool.

So I don't think there is an issue with maintaining that. The only real concern is whether the bigger upgrade decks have the same 'balance' as the decks straight out of the Core Set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty
United States
California
flag msg tools
CitizenFry wrote:
So do you recalculate the deck size as items are bought? That is, if the heroes buy four tier I items in their first upgrade phase, do they end up with two fewer items available the next time they are shopping?

My gut would say no, because the vanilla rules say to "pick 6" regardless of what you have already purchased. So if you have 20 items in your Tier 1 deck, you should draw 10 every time, regardless on the number purchased. However I haven't seen the new JR rules (and they're not available on FFG's page yet, so I can't say with certainty what the designers want.

Additionally, if you have an odd number of items in a tier deck, do you round up or down?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You calculate how many to draw at the start and that's how many you draw regardless of whether some are purchased already. You round up odd numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:

Wow, didn't realize the core set only had 12. It's been a long time since I played with just the core set. You make a good point. I'll go with half then. My players will be really happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I see the point in allowing rebels to pull half the deck, but I still don't like it. I've liked not always getting the "best" weapons every campaign.

BTW Clipper, do you know if purchased cards (like depletes) count against the imperial hand limit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I saw quoted / pictures in the FFG forum threads, the limit is on the total number of agenda cards both in hand and in the play area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Terrell
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
a1bert wrote:
From what I saw quoted / pictures in the FFG forum threads, the limit is on the total number of agenda cards both in hand and in the play area.

That is interesting. I'll be reading up on the thinking behind this ruling, specifically as it relates to 'in play' and purchased 'keep secret' cards.
Four is the most I've ever had. Once recently I had one agenda side mission in play, one active 'deplete' card, and two 'keep secret' cards in hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stl0369 wrote:
BTW Clipper, do you know if purchased cards (like depletes) count against the imperial hand limit?

The rule book says, "During the Jabba's Realm campaign, the Imperial player may only have a total of four Agenda cards between his hand and his play area. If, at the end of an Imperial Upgrade Stage, he has more than four Agenda cards, he must choose cards to discard until he has four."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My thought is that a limit of 4 gives you more choices to make - you have to really think about which deplete agenda cards to buy, because they reduce the number of hidden one-shot agenda cards you can purchase and limits your freedom to choose when to use them. The limit encourages the imperial player to purchase and play one-shot cards spread out throughout the campaign. This should make the campaign missions more varied by sprinkling them with regular small surprises.

If the IP only wants deplete cards (a lot of the beginning IP's do, myself included), you will keep earning influence while waiting for them to come up, so you will have extra influence to buy agenda side missions. I have not come up with a solution to how to get them into play more often, but at least limiting the number of agenda cards in play can give a little pressure to purchasing them too.

The real goal of the rule is to prevent the imperial player from hoarding agenda cards to use them all in the finale, but there are all these other things you want to consider too.

There may be other ways to combat hoarding, but I think a limit on the number of agenda cards is a simple way and it is also compatible with all existing material.

In my current full-length campaign I currently have 2 deplete cards, so I pretty much only purchase agenda cards which are immediately useful in the next mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Penny
Australia
Greenslopes
Queensland
flag msg tools
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
so then what of Jyn Odan's smuggler's luck ability that allows her to draw an extra gear card during rebel upgrade stage? Is that useless with the changes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav W
Sweden
Lund
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CowStriker wrote:
so then what of Jyn Odan's smuggler's luck ability that allows her to draw an extra gear card during rebel upgrade stage? Is that useless with the changes?

Not useless, you'd still add another card. It will be 13 cards instead of 12 cards (1 less in tier 1), so a lot less useful of course.

I'd be fine with house ruling it to 2 extra cards to keep it in line with it's core power though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Penny
Australia
Greenslopes
Queensland
flag msg tools
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 card house rule will definitely be the go I reckon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CowStriker wrote:
2 card house rule will definitely be the go I reckon.

Arguably, your house rule should be 1/12 of the size of the deck, perhaps rounded up.

Might as well future-proof yourself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.