Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gilles Daquin
Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We all have the yearly horrific move, blunder or miss of the year, the big blunder you prefer to forget but that makes you laugh if not cry. Does it ring painful memories?

I will start with mine:

Played Celles with the... wrong set of dices, damages were almost impossible to cause all game long. Totally ruined it for us...

We will never know if it is a good game, it is marked (unfortunately) as "no more" for a long time now.

What was yours for 2016?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gus Logan
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Signing up for the Sekigahara P500 and then dropping out. Why did I do that? Such a reasonable offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as playing a game : I didn't get defeated in Angola - I got annihilated, stomped in the dust, then the remaining pieces were picked up and put in a blender. Worst defeat of the year, worst defeat in many years actually. Still had a great time though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Threw away a game of Crusader Rex, in the last game turn after at one point leading with such an advantage I offered my opponent the opportunity to concede. He wisely chose not to take it. Hubris indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Bowden
Australia
Fountaindale
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Left the game room door open so the cats could get in...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

Painting more than 100 HaT 1:72 scale WWI German infantry miniatures Prussian Blue for this Battle Cry session report...

Königgrätz 1866 -- an epic scenario to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the battle...

...and subsequently discovering that I can't seem to replace the original gray figures to use in Great War scenarios because these German infantry miniatures are never available on eBay.

Ouch.

Do have a Franco-Prussian War scenario planned so the dark blue Germans will see action at least one more time. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurtis Swekla
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
As far as playing a game : I didn't get defeated in Angola - I got annihilated, stomped in the dust, then the remaining pieces were picked up and put in a blender. Worst defeat of the year, worst defeat in many years actually. Still had a great time though

which faction were you? when did the game end?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Blundering is my modus operandi, so individual cases don't stand out very much.

I recently did something I often do in a game of ASL and managed to get a huge number of Victory Points right up to the edge of the board; one hex away from scoring. On the final turn, all my opponent had to do was laugh and laugh and declare their turn over to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurtis Swekla
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming blunder would have been in Maria

I was the Austrians and had a whopping hand of spades so for some stupid reason I had manoeuvred 3 of my generals into spades regions forgetting about the fact if I attack then I won't be able to re-fill my hand until my next turn.
So I attacked Prussia in Spades and spent almost all of my spades. Then France and Prussia attacked my other spade generals and 2 got destroyed.
Somehow I was able to make a bit of a comeback, but lost close to Pragmatic Army
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
TimothyBowden wrote:
Left the game room door open so the cats could get in...

The window and the wind is my regular foe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Just a couple of weeks ago I was playing Not War But Murder with my oldest gaming buddy. I was playing the Union side. On the last turn I needed only 1 VP for the win. I attacked an area that would have given me the needed point if I managed to drive out the Confederates, but the attack failed miserably and I lost the game. Just after the fatal die roll had sealed my defeat, I noticed that I could have swept around the Rebels' left flank with an unused cavalry unit and captured that elusive VP. shakeangry

C'est la guerre.

(Edit: missing word)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
eddy_sterckx wrote:

Must of been the commies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lynch
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Passing up opportunities to play more wargames, and playing other games instead. Doesn't count playing train games 'cause we play those like they are wargames, especially Railways of the World.

edit> And no, I do not count stuff like Small World as wargames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Started a BGG thread about wargame ratings...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maverick wrote:
Started a BGG thread about wargame ratings...

Actually, I found that thread quite informative.

I didn't know about the "downvoting" phenomena.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rush
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Not playing a game with my father through e-mail for the whole year.

2) Putting the counters for our next game "in a safe place" (and thus needing to find a new game to play).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Not playing more wargames.

Not playing any war games.

I win.

blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Miner
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting a land war in Asia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting a copy of Churchill; I should have known better.

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest blunder, and that's being polite too, was in a game of Victoria Cross that I played last June with fellow BGGer
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The game is based on the British victory at Rorkes Drift in 1879 during the Anglo-Zulu War. My blunder was forgetting some of the restrictions on the British volley firing, more specifically I was moving both the British officers and soldiers into a position, then used the volley fire. This lead to a massacre of the Zulus without any British casualties. My opponent conceded during the night as he felt the game was unwinable at that point. I was surprised as I had never seen such a one sided victory in this game. Later that night I received an email from my opponent that exposed the blunder. That is when I then conceded and gave the victory to my opponent. We have agreed upon a rematch for the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Welker
United States
Steubenville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see. For us, it was an Austerlitz 1805: Napoleon's Greatest Victory game, set up in my basement war room. We were nearing the climactic series of blows, and, being worn out, we took a break. Next morning, I discovered that the office door was open, so I pushed it closed on my way out the door for work.

That night I entered, discovering our cat. She was sitting on the map, dead center of the table. She spent the day pushing pieces around. Weirdly, all the pieces were still in organized arrangement, just 15-20 hexes shifted around--so that cat could find a comfy spot.

Though, argh, she ate a few markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heldt
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Two panzer jocks in the South Seas hoping that soon they'll get lei'd--
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Welker wrote:
she ate a few markers

How did everything come out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting distracted in the beginning of summer by a proposed miniature painting project that would have sucked me into the Spanish Civil War instead of painting Pulp and Darkest Africa figures instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting a multiplayer email/ACTS game with a really slow player, a player who won't learn how to use ACTS or CyberBoard, a player who does nothing but build units all game, a player who doesn't know how to use dropbox, and a player who keeps updating things incorrectly so that I have to fix it. Those aren't 5 different people though, as some of them are the same person.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I want (to play) them all, and I want (to play) them now!
badge
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
Statalyzer wrote:
Starting a multiplayer email/ACTS game with a really slow player, a player who won't learn how to use ACTS or CyberBoard, a player who does nothing but build units all game, a player who doesn't know how to use dropbox, and a player who keeps updating things incorrectly so that I have to fix it. Those aren't 5 different people though, as some of them may actually be the same person.....

You know, it's not polite to out yourself like that... j/k whistle

-M_R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.