Popular Tags: [View All]
Mary Gunning
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello,

When you host a game night, do you serve food? If you do not serve dinner do you have snacks?

What do you consider game-unfriendly food? What do you avoid? I guess something greasy and potato chips that leave a residue on your fingers.

What are some of your favorite Game-Friendly foods?

Thanks, Mary G.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The paranoid in me wants to say: Whatever your tastes, if you can keep the food and drinks separate from the game table(s), your games may live longer. For example--

- Have dinner beforehand, clean up, play a game, break for coffee/tea and dessert, clean up, play another game, etc. (best bet)...

- Put the two activities in separate but adjacent rooms, and keep a couple of boxes of baby wipes in plain sight in both locations...

- Go with non-greasy, non-sticky snacks such as pretzels or carrot sticks...

- Stage small side tables or TV trays near, but a short distance away from, the gaming table for drinks and small snack plates...

- And explain the "house rules" about food and drinks up front, along with why you're asking people to be a little more careful (because some games are expensive, hard to find, out of print, last longer when not immersed, etc.; food and drink stains make it easier for your opponents to figure out which cards you're holding; etc.)...

Old person suggestion: If you know anyone who plays or used to play Bridge, Canasta, Pinochle, or the like, ask them what they do or used to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always have snacks and am not picky about what they are (I will serve Cheetos). But to fit your requirements, I think jelly beans would work well and possibly pretzels and m&ms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zanz Reyes
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What we usually do is play games and call pizza/sandwiches/Chinese, then take a break when food arrives, eat, and then return to gaming when all everyone's eaten and washed hands. By the time food arrives we're all pretty hungry so no one complains about pausing a game for food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Tank
Canada
Milton
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't usually host but in our gaming group, we usually order pizza and all pitch in the cost. The host usually provides the drinks (pop) and snacks.

We usually take a break to eat, rather then eating while playing and getting the game components dirty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Gunning
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for your recommendations. I love the idea of wipes in areas in plain sight. I also like the idea of telling people the reason why you don't really want drinks and sticky, greasy food by your games. You did give me a place to start on snacks to be on the look out for, that would be perfect for a game night. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy P
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only way I've been able to get anyone over to play games is by hosting. I usually pick up sandwiches from Jimmy Johns or Jersey Mikes, and have everyone bring another snack - usually cookies, veggie plate, or the like.

We usually eat while we play, but then that group doesn't really play heavy stuff, nor games that I'd mind getting messed up a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donna Ackerson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
publisher
www.sentientcowgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually try to have snacks and drinks before and dinner after but if it is a long game I like to use the packs of tiny cocktail rye bread and a plate of cheese and lunch meats for tiny sandwiches. The bread tends to not be greasy and the sandwiches can fit on tiny plates for snack optimization. Other option is anything that can be baked into a solid casserole or pie shape (mac and cheese, quiche, etc). Also good for tiny plates and forks keep the fingers clean!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.