United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I was pursuing ebay and I wondered how much value shrink is to a game

Poll
1. When offered a selection of games, how much extra would you pay for shrinkwrap
11+
2. What do you value about shrink wrap?
The smell of a new game
Punching pieces
Knowing that it absolutely has everything
Peeling plastic off of something
Pristine outer box
unfingerprinted documentation
cat won't be jealous of other cats that have sat in the box
general pride in everything being new
Other (Mention/Thumb in the comments)
      92 answers
Poll created by bippi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer buying games without shrink wrap and paying less.

Pete (buys over half of his games used)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris johnson
United States
Oregon
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I like opened but unpunched. This allows the game components to be checked first. I have purchased enough new games in shrink over the years direct from stores that had components missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Spieler
msg tools
mbmb
Shrink wrap does not always mean you are getting a complete game. Several times I've purchased new games that had missing pieces (looking at you Takenoko...3 times til I got a complete game)
I'd prefer to buy an opened, inventoried, and gently played game from a trusted gamer and seller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think as most have said, I would ultimately answer that "being in shrink" has little to no added quantitative value to me over not being in shrink as long as it is complete.

If given the choice between a new in shrink and a known used copy, I'd go new in shrink, but wouldn't pay considerably more for it all other things being equal.

If given the choice between a new in shrink and an out of shrink, unpunched but fully inventoried copy, I'd choose the out of shrink one in a heart beat.

As others have said, being new in shrink just means it hasn't been opened. Doesn't mean it's complete. And if it's a NIS game that isn't currently stocked anywhere, you may be screwed if it's missing something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Urich
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer new. I get annoyed at damaged components, especially when I cannot blame myself for the damage. That's my other reason. I also value knowing it is more likely to have all the pieces, and easier to get replacement pieces if there are some missing.

I don't know how much more I'd pay as usually used games are more expensive than new ones due to shipping (compared to free shipping from CSI, Amazon, whatever).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Why is there no zero option? Shrink-wrap has absolutely no value to me at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Turpin
Canada
Falmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only value it's value to others. Uber play Ra missing a sun tile. That's what I firstly associate with shrink wrap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want new. I'm too paranoid of missing components. Then again, 4 games I got new this year made me email the company to send a replacement part. Luckily, 2 of them were Fantasy Flight and their HQ is literally 5 miles from my house. Mail basically arrives the next day. The missing pawn in Onitama took quite a bit longer to arrive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The geek never ceases to amaze me on the level of trivialities it weighs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McKibbin
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the age of the game. If it's a new game, I could care less if it has shrink wrap or not. OTOH, if I'm buying a vintage Avalon Hill game, shrinkwrap means I'm buying a factory new never-been-opened before game, which is important because I know I'm getting the entire game intact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kochenower
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too would prefer used games as it allows me to acquire more games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like used from BGG folks because they are always sorted, bagged, and neatly stored, often with extra stuff.

Shrink doesn't matter to me when buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like my games virgin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what do the numbers in the first poll represent? If it were in my local Swedish Krona (Crowns) then even 11+ wouldn't amount to more than pocket change
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had a couple games delivered on rainy days that were saved by the shrink wrap. But for the most part I don't care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mbmbmbmbmb
The last game I bought from the geekmarket, Clank!, was listed as "like new" "played once."

It arrived with greasy, chunky fingerprints over all the decks, and scratches over the game board. I swear this game must have been played by people eating greasy junk food. The cards aren't linen stock, and don't look like I could wash them without taking some of the print off.

I had bought it as a gift for a friend who doesn't care about shrink, but is fastidious about the condition of components.

I wrote to the seller, and their response was strangely that they would "refund shipping if that would help."

Before this experience, I didn't care about shrink at all. Now, if it's an option, I'll go for shrink, unless it's a seller I know and trust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Why is there no zero option? Shrink-wrap has absolutely no value to me at all.

I live in Colorado and may or may not have been capable of doing Math at the time of this poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Could care less about shrink wrap. I buy about 2/3 of my games used and when I get something new that I pre-ordered the shrink wrap comes off right away. Since I am as much a gamer as a collector the games are eventually going to be played so if I buy it cheap because someone played it first so much the better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.