Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Dungeon!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Why would you go into a chamber at all? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Connie Gunderson
United States
Deer Creek Mesa (Littleton)
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
We just opened this one up today and have many questions.

Our first play-thru, we missed the thing about how slaying monsters inside chambers does not reward the player with treasure.

Since that's the case, why would anyone enter one? I understand if someone else went into a chamber, failed to slay a monster and had to leave treasure behind, then there's a benefit to heading in there to pick up the treasure. But why would anyone have gone in there in the first place?
2 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar

1) Shortest path
2) To heal
3) To teleport
4) To show how bad@$$ you are by kicking some butt!

Don't know what version you're playing. The options may vary.


5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Siedschlag
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tanik wrote:

1) Shortest path
2) To heal
3) To teleport
4) To show how bad@$$ you are by kicking some butt!

Don't know what version you're playing. The options may vary.




In addition, if you are playing with the chamber cards variant there would be reason to go into chambers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connie Gunderson
United States
Deer Creek Mesa (Littleton)
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
tanik wrote:

1) Shortest path
2) To heal
3) To teleport
4) To show how bad@$$ you are by kicking some butt!

Don't know what version you're playing. The options may vary.




I don't remember reading anything about healing. What is this?

Thank you!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar

I'm away from my game at the moment, so I can't remember exactly, but I think level 3 allowed you to heal if you were wounded. This may only exist in some older versions. Wizards also had to visit a chamber to recoup spells. The rules have changed quite a bit over the years. What version are you playing?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tanik wrote:

I'm away from my game at the moment, so I can't remember exactly, but I think level 3 allowed you to heal if you were wounded. This may only exist in some older versions. Wizards also had to visit a chamber to recoup spells. The rules have changed quite a bit over the years. What version are you playing?



That was only in Classic and New Dungeon which are the same, but seperate games from regular Dungeon. Thats the version that added new classes and alot of new options. And that is not regular Dungeon.

As for why to enter chambers.

You can only clear out so many rooms before you have to go through a chamber to get at the rest.

First and most of second and fourth level are the only levels you can hit all and most of the rooms before you have to pass through a chamber to get to the rest. Third and fifth level you can only hit about half. And 6th level only 2 rooms are accessible without passing through probably at least one chamber.

And chambers an be cleared by defeating 3 monsters.

So in the end it is a matter of time and risk you must weigh. And a little luck. Sometimes finding those secret doors takes forever.
3 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connie Gunderson
United States
Deer Creek Mesa (Littleton)
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
tanik wrote:

I'm away from my game at the moment, so I can't remember exactly, but I think level 3 allowed you to heal if you were wounded. This may only exist in some older versions. Wizards also had to visit a chamber to recoup spells. The rules have changed quite a bit over the years. What version are you playing?



I just bought whichever version is on the shelf at my FLGS...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connie Gunderson
United States
Deer Creek Mesa (Littleton)
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:

As for why to enter chambers.

You can only clear out so many rooms before you have to go through a chamber to get at the rest.

First and most of second and fourth level are the only levels you can hit all and most of the rooms before you have to pass through a chamber to get to the rest. Third and fifth level you can only hit about half. And 6th level only 2 rooms are accessible without passing through probably at least one chamber.

And chambers an be cleared by defeating 3 monsters.

So in the end it is a matter of time and risk you must weigh. And a little luck. Sometimes finding those secret doors takes forever.


Ah, ok, that makes sense. It's not something you do unless you need to.

If you're entering a chamber just because you have to in order to get where you're going, you do not have to slay all three monsters that inhabit it, right? you can make an attempt to slay one, and then be on your way?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar

Correct. Each time you enter you battle one monster (if any of the 3 are left). And attempt is the operative word here. If you lose you can retreat in any direction you wish--at least in my, older version.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hall
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tanik wrote:

Correct. Each time you enter you battle one monster (if any of the 3 are left). And attempt is the operative word here. If you lose you can retreat in any direction you wish--at least in my, older version.



It's the same in the newest versions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cgund wrote:


Ah, ok, that makes sense. It's not something you do unless you need to.

If you're entering a chamber just because you have to in order to get where you're going, you do not have to slay all three monsters that inhabit it, right? you can make an attempt to slay one, and then be on your way?


1: Right. Some players just dont want to dither with secret doors or are confident they can pass through and move on. Others will play it safe and skirt around as much as possible.

2: Only one to pass through if you win or stalemate it. On some levels you will likely have to re-cross a chamber again to get back out.

x: Its simmilar to the choices of sticking to the upper levels or risking the lower levels and the greater rewards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Cooper
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tanik wrote:

If you lose you can retreat in any direction you wish--at least in my, older version.


So you can retreat forward? That wouldn't be a retreat then, it would be a progression. So you can move forward even if you failed to defeat a monster in a chamber?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jez2k wrote:
tanik wrote:

If you lose you can retreat in any direction you wish--at least in my, older version.


So you can retreat forward? That wouldn't be a retreat then, it would be a progression. So you can move forward even if you failed to defeat a monster in a chamber?


If you backed into a room deeper in then yes you retreated.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.