Subject: Scarcity of packs after time has passed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alvin
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
I've never played a LCG before so was wondering if I don't pick up a Mythos pack right away, is there a time period that we need to buy it in or else we miss our chance?

Essentially, do we need to keep up with the content as it comes or can we wait maybe a year or two and still be able to buy the content later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Packs will be reprinted over time.

The only caveats are:

Intermittently some packs will go out of general circulation. Usually this is just a delay until a reprint is issued, but if you need a specific pack right now, it might be pricey.

Packs for competitive LCGs cycle out after two or three years (I forget the exact frequency). As far as I know, this doesn't affect Lord of the Rings, and probably won't affect availability of the packs, but Arkham Horror is a new game, so the reprint schedule may be different. (It probably won't be.)

If the game's life cycle ends, packs could become quite difficult to obtain, as reprints would cease. This has happened with both of the Warhammer LCGs (when Invasion ended, and with Conquest when the licensing agreement ended).

Finally, packs may be in print and available, but not carried by your local game stores. This is an issue with LOTR for some.

Otherwise, yeah, you're certainly welcome to collect at your own pace. It's one of the perks of the LCG format. However, with how Arkham appears to be structured, you probably won't want much downtime between packs in a cycle (since you'd need to keep your decks intact for the duration of the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, FFG is constantly reprinting the LCG packs, they aren't a 'one and done' situation.

The first Lord of the Rings pack over 5 years old is still listed at CSI, just out of stock.
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/137073

But you can see it is in the reprint queue over at FFG
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/upcoming/

Just sometimes there is so much stuff in the reprint queue it can take 6 months or so to get everything back into circulation.

FFG are pretty good about announcing when something is really finishing up, surprises are rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.