Blood Bowl (2016 edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Turnover - item 1. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
voltemands voltemands
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I'm sure I have this correct but the rulebook entry is written terribly, or I'm showing my dyslexia!

Coach A is the moving team, and it is his/her go. He tries to throw a block with one of his lineman (not holding the ball) and fails, ending up prone himself.

1) This is not a turn over?

It's the same turn and the coach now throws a block at another opposing player, but this time the player blocking is a blitzer holding the ball. The block fails again! Ouch.

2) this IS a turn over?

TIA :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Holmes
United Kingdom
Shipley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my understanding that any time a player on the moving team goes to ground there is a turnover. So, in both of your cases there would be a turnover

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Nichols
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mr_mrholmes wrote:
It's my understanding that any time a player on the moving team goes to ground there is a turnover.

I think this isn't 100% correct (although I don't have the rules to hand). There are occasions where you can go to ground without a turnover such as using the Wrestle skill on a both down result.

However, both the cases mentioned would be a turnover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
voltemands wrote:
I'm sure I have this correct but the rulebook entry is written terribly, or I'm showing my dyslexia!

Coach A is the moving team, and it is his/her go. He tries to throw a block with one of his lineman (not holding the ball) and fails, ending up prone himself.

1) This is not a turn over?

It's the same turn and the coach now throws a block at another opposing player, but this time the player blocking is a blitzer holding the ball. The block fails again! Ouch.

2) this IS a turn over?

TIA :-)

If you look at the turnover rule on page 13 first section:
"1. A player on the moving team is Knocked Down"

Stop. The rest of 1 is describing events that are not Knocked Down which is a rules keyword and hence the capitalization. It is dealing with the concept of Placed Prone which is generally the result of skill use which are not in the base rulebook.

For Blocking Dice Results:
"Attacker Down: The attacking player is Knocked Down."

So the player was knocked down and hence a turnover occurred.

If the die result was actually Both Down and the attacking player had the Wrestle skill(as opposed to the Block Skill) he could elect for both players to be Placed Prone instead of both players being Knocked Down. He is then not Knocked Down and this would only be a turnover if he was carrying the Ball.

On Attacker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take this with a grain of salt as I am brand new to this game as of the 2016 edition, but my reading of the rules is:
1) If you are the active coach and one of your players "fails" to do something resulting in a knockdown, a missed pass, a missed catch (after ball bounces or a scattered pass, etc.), or drops or fumbles the ball then it is a turnover.
2) The above is not a turnover if a player uses a skill that allows the player to voluntarily get knocked down for any reason (such as the wrestle skill).

The basics are that if it is your turn and one of your own players is knocked down or you fumble/drop the ball then it is a turnover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
Noonespecial wrote:
Take this with a grain of salt as I am brand new to this game as of the 2016 edition, but my reading of the rules is:
1) If you are the active coach and one of your players "fails" to do something resulting in a knockdown, a missed pass, a missed catch (after ball bounces or a scattered pass, etc.), or drops or fumbles the ball then it is a turnover.
2) The above is not a turnover if a player uses a skill that allows the player to voluntarily get knocked down for any reason (such as the wrestle skill).

The basics are that if it is your turn and one of your own players is knocked down or you fumble/drop the ball then it is a turnover.

You are not voluntarily Knocked Down. You are Placed Prone. Being Knocked Down during your is almost always a turn over. The only case that comes to mind that is not is a thrown player who fails to land who does not have the ball. The Right Stuff skill very clearly says this is not a turnover. Interesting if you thrown player scatters onto a player from your team and knocks him over it is a turnover. You expect the thrown goblin to crash to the earth but not hit people on his team I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a not too terrible tutorial video here on the 'Geek that goes over it pretty well I think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voltemands voltemands
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I'll check it out thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voltemands voltemands
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the responses. I'll take a proper lookie and process over a tea later!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.