Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
"We don't see things as they are, but as we are." Anais Nin
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, a very Happy New Year to one and all and whatever your situation, I hope that the year ahead will prove to be a good one for you and yours...

I always enjoy those ‘whattya gonna do’ threads and I hope I am not cutting across anyone else by being the one to ask: What are your wargaming hopes and aspirations for 2017, both in terms of purchases and playing?

I went part-time at work in September 2016 in order to pursue some other life goals; it’d be fair to say that we’ve had to, ahem, tighten the financial belt significantly since then, with the obvious knock-on for any ‘luxury purchases’. For my wife, ‘luxury’ includes games and although I’ve tried reasoning with her, when it’s between the weekly shopping and me getting a new release simply because Mark Mahaffey has designed the map, she just doesn’t seem able to understand… whistle

Anyway, times are hard, but I haven’t given up hope; I still have two games on pre-order which will be arriving at some point, Days of Ire: Budapest 1956 and Maori Wars: The New Zealand Land Wars, 1845-1872, which should scratch some itches. I am also still on the lookout for the Holy Grail Solo Game that will make my life complete – will Comanchería: The Rise and Fall of the Comanche Empire do it? Should I return to The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43, after STUPIDLY buying and selling it without getting it to the table (will I EVER learn? cry) Anyone who wants to recommend the Perfect Wargaming Solo should feel free to contact me…

I’ll also look forward to some FtF action with

It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
For now.
flag msg tools
badge
mb

and

Matt Jolly
United Kingdom
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

which is always a pleasure, as well as doing some low-level stuff with my friend Dean and my brother-in-law Alex, who I am slowly evangelising into the ways of wargaming. Dean loved Dominant Species and will try other simple, low-counter density offerings, but we still haven’t found his sweet spot. My brother-in-law adored A Few Acres of Snow and was also bowled over by Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan and intrigued by Warriors of God so the future looks good…

My early work with my five-year-old daughter brought her to Memoir '44 this year and she often asks for The Tank Game to be brought out, but to be honest, Castle Panic and, more recently, Forbidden Island are more her cup of tea. I still have time on my side…

So, for 2017 I have a few options open for wargaming and even though I don’t get to play as much as I want to, there isn’t a day that goes by without me checking into BGG to research various new options, even if I don’t have the money to buy them.cry I am also going to bite the bullet and sell a couple of games to free up a little cash, especially if they’ve sat on my shelf for over two years without being played. Even with this caveat, I still find it difficult to let things go and always experience ‘buyers regret’ and sometimes an overwhelming desire to buy it straight back and apologise to it for ever sending it away, yes, I am talking about The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 again, although the same could be said for Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer.

What about you? What does 2017 hold on the wargaming front?

Whatever happens, I hope that you get some satisfying gaming in, buy some interesting new stuff and enjoy the folk you’re hanging out with whilst doing it all – even if it’s just yourself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What are your wargaming plans for 2017?

Game reviews and custom scenarios to commemorate the 1917 battles during WWI.

The first projects will focus on the fighting around Gaza.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy new year to you too!

My goal is to play ASL at least every other week (live on VASSAL), to keep one other PBEM-game going on VASSAL (as I'm doing right now). A couple of F2F-games of Here I Stand would be good too, along with maybe a F2F 2-player game every other month against my regular 2-player opponent (usually Twilight Struggle or Washington's War). Basically, my goal is to do the same thing I have done this year. Other than that, I have no goals, except that I want to resist the temptation to learn new complex games. I'm starting to appreciate 10-page rulebooks. At the moment I don't think I can deal with another rulebook of 30+ pages, lots of exceptions etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
BICYCLES FORWARD
badge
PELOTON
mbmbmbmbmb
While I have several specific games on my "to-play" list, my mood often changes where I will get interested in another game instead. My wargaming goal for 2017 will be to play some games (at least one) from each of the following publishers:

GDW - some of the 120 series
Legion - The Battle of Tanga 1914; Toulon, 1793
AH - a few of the old classics
SPI - the quads: Crimean War Battles; Blue & Gray II; Island War: Four Pacific Battles; Napoleon at War: Four Battles; Thirty Years War (first edition)
S&T - would like to dig out all of the solitaire games
Rand - played two in 2016; would like to play through the Command Series
VPG - Mosby's Raiders and Carrier come to mind
The Wargamer - would like to at least start playing through the magazine games
ATO - have yet to be disappointed; several on my list to play
GMT - The Kaiser's Pirates; Paths of Glory; Navajo Wars; one or two COIN games
SDC - Jerusalem; Cromwell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
Lines of Battle: Quatre Bras 1815. Brunswick hussar.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have several games that I really want to get past the concept/playtest/p&p stage and actually published in 2017:

Irish Freedom is pretty much ready, but I want to add some extra scenarios to make it a better prospect for publication.

Albuera 1811 is almost ready for playtest - I just need to design some decent counters.

I also have others in concept stage:

A solitaire Persian to Peloponnesian war, where you first play the combined Greek forces against the Persians. If you win, your forces are split and you are then fighting as the Spartans against Athens.

A solitaire strategic level Zombie game based on a map of the USA being overrun. Would have cities being destroyed, refugees, nuclear option, etc. Can someone let me know if this has been done - there seem to be lots of tactical level zombie games, but almost none at a strategy level.

A solitaire game on the Afghan war from the Soviet invasion through the civil war to the fall of the Taliban. The player juggling forces throughout this, facing the various threats (first the Soviets, then Hekmatyar, then the Taliban).

Apart from designing games, I want to at least keep my current level of miniature gaming up, and see if I can persuade some other local players to get some boardgames on the table more often than they are right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Burden
United States
Streator
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goals for 2017 play more Advanced Squad Leader, get Star Trek: Frontiers to the table and learn Line of Battle Series and Great Battles of History systems. I hope if I can to purchase Yanks: ASL Module 3a, Red Factories,Roads to Gettysburg II: Lee Strikes North and get Wing Leader: Supremacy 1943-1945once it's available at my friendly OLGS. In general hoping for a better year than 2016. Happy New Years Everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Declan Breen
United Kingdom
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargame plans for 2017:

Purchases.

Reacquire upgraded version of

Acquire

If Fantasy Flight reprint this year acquire

Acquire

Acquire

Play

A full campaign of

Learn and understand

Get to the table for first play.

But most important of all, to meet up with my fellow grognards and share the highs, the lows, the joy and the despair of this wonderful hobby.

Oh and spend way to much time on the Geek with you lot .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
My plans for 2017

Write more reviews of the games I play whether I like them or not and without regard to how many reviews already exist of said game.

Use Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe (which I am learning now) to try out the "what if" scenarios of Hitler attacking the USSR in 1939 that I read about in the book Enemy in the East.

Finally get some key games to the table like The Napoleonic Wars (Second Edition), any of the GMT Next War Series (I own them all so far) and some No Retreat series games (North Africa, Italy and, hopefully the new one covering Poland and France).

My wife enjoys playing some wargames with me like Battle Cry, Twilight Struggle (the way we play it, it is a wargame ) and History of the World. She also likes playing deck building games like Legendary so I am going to try exposing her to Hands in the Sea and Hitler's Reich which, I hope, she will like. My wife is a great competitor and our games are always tons of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kerpob2 wrote:

Irish Freedom is pretty much ready, but I want to add some extra scenarios to make it a better prospect for publication.

This looks great! Subscribed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
travisdhill wrote:
kerpob2 wrote:

This looks great! Subscribed.

Me too!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
catosulla wrote:
My wife enjoys playing some wargames with me like Battle Cry, Twilight Struggle (the way we play it, it is a wargame ) and History of the World. She also likes playing deck building games like Legendary so I am going to try exposing her to Hands in the Sea and Hitler's Reich which, I hope, she will like. My wife is a great competitor and our games are always tons of fun.

Oh yeah, you reminded me that I have Hitler's Reich on pre-order too; I wonder if there are any others I've forgotten? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Witmer
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Right now I have but one plan, play the full campaign of Federation and Empire.

I get to set it up tomorrow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wiley
United States
Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My plans are, as outlined somewhat in a thread earlier this week, to take the first steps to break into wargaming. Based upon some of the responses received, I am coming to terms that this may, or may not, include my wife as an active and willing participant.

I am planning to sift through all the excellent recommendations that were presented and snag at least one or two of them this year.

My entry point is likely to begin with some solid Medieval-era print & play games, starting with Agincourt. The goal is to play a new wargame each month in 2017, so feel free to point out any solid and worthwhile Medieval, Fantasy, or Sci-Fi print & play wargames as those will be the easiest to navigate on a budget and will help at least get my feet wet.

Pairing with the wargaming, I hope to read some more Medieval history books, including historical fiction books like Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Drake
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My goals for 2017:

1-more F-T-F wargaming with ASL and GBoH

2-more solo wargaming with Full Thrust campaign of my own,plus ASL and other board wargames I own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saxon 357
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Immediate Plans are...to wash my Dice. I still use the same ones from Stalingrad 1963, but the Black Holes are full of "Hand Jam". They are the nice "ceramic" Dice that have that "Wargame Clack", so to the Toothbrush they go (I don't use it much anyway, so why waste 50 cents?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've had a bit of a quiet 4th quarter of 2016. I'll start off 2017 with a vassal game of Guns of Gettysburg, which is totally ace.

Also, I'll be rebooting (hopefully) regular face-to-face games of Seki with a non-wargaming pal and then diversify to other game once the routine is set.

Later in the year I'll be picking up Hollan 44 and Next War Poland and playing them solo. Hopefully all these wishes will come true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
So many choices--dare I say dilemmas--because I have many goals but not enough time to realize them all.

Downsize the collection. As I write this, the collection stands at just over 2,200 titles. It will be easy to auction off the 1st Edition wargames that have been superseded by newer versions. I've got a short stack of those. I'm also wrestling with letting go of some old, well-loved games that I know I won't ever play again. I also have so many ground tactical games, many of which I won't ever get to. And there's some second copies of older collectible titles that I really ought to sell off. Fortunately, PrezCon is coming in February and I always go; they have a good auction that I've taken advantage of in the past to pass on portions of my collection.

Build an elective course using wargaming. I teach at one of the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College satellite campuses. Some of my colleagues use wargaming in their elective courses, both in other satellite campuses and at the main compus at Fort Leavenworth. I've just got to hit on a subject and write a proposal/syllabus that I know will get approved by one of the departments. This would be a substantial investment of my spare time, but worth it if approved and I can get enough students to participate in it!

Start an active wargaming club. I am blessed that there are a few venues where I live--the Richmond Area Game Enthusiasts (RAGE) and a weekly group not far from me that games every Tuesday evening. The latter is oversubscribed (more gamers want to play than there are slots to give them) so I could start a counterpart group meeting on Thursday nights, maybe calling the venue "Tactical Thursday." I've got the perfect "War Room" to do it. Alternatively, I could start a group onboard Fort Lee to get the military folks to participate. Carlisle Barracks, Fort Leavenworth, and Marine Corps University at Quantico do this kind of stuff fairly routinely. Obviously, this takes a certain amount of commitment to do on a regular basis, no matter which way I go with it.

Participate in more conventions. Prezcon is one I attend every year but it's turned more into a family and friends affair where winetasting and fine food has overtaken wargaming opportunities. So I need to expand the venue. Williamsburg Muster/Guns of August is an event I have participated in on an irregular basis; it's mostly miniatures but there are boardgame events. Same with Historicon. And while I used to go to MMP's Winter Offensive regularly, I've fallen off going given my academic schedule. Distant conventions aren't in the budget, as much as I'd like to do ASLOK, Winter Fest, CONSIMCON/a.k.a. "Monster Con," and ASL March Madness. Gotta figure this out.

Play more series system games. I admit to having a wide range of interests when it comes to historical periods, domains (air, land, sea), scales (grand strategic to tactical), and treatments (i.e., I have more than one game on many topics, to include some pretty arcane ones). Those stand alone system games certainly get my attention but it's the series games that get me regular FTF opponents in the local area. It's pretty easy to find fellow players for ASL, ASLSK, PANZER/MBT, OCS, CLOSE ACTION, GREAT BATTLES OF HISTORY series, GREAT CAMPAIGNS OF THE AMERICAN CIVIL WAR, BATTLES OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION, COIN series, etc. But there are other systems/series I want to play more of:

BATTLES OF THE AGE OF REASON series (particularly Fontenay and Prague)
LA BATAILLE series (Marshal Enterprises new game on Austerlitz and COA's games on Dresden and 2nd Ed Ligny)
GRAND TACTICAL SERIES (haven't even punched THE GREATEST DAY!)
EAST FRONT series
DEATH RIDE series
LACE WARS series
STANDARD COMBAT SYSTEM series (PANZER BATTLES in particular)
FLYING COLORS series
BIRDS OF PREY system
SERGEANTS MINIATURES GAME system

Most Anticipated purchases. Not sure how many of these will emerge in 2017, but I nevertheless am looking forward to them:

-- OPERATION MERCURY by MMP. Joe Chacon's take on applying the GRAND TACTICAL SERIES to Crete. I've seen this game in playtest and it looks great.

-- KORSUN POCKET II by Pacific Rim. I've been involved in rules editing for this game the past year. Was a huge fan of the original edition (played it at Tempe/"Monster Con" back in 2000 or thereabouts) and am excited to see this new, updated edition return to the table. New OOB, streamlined air and logistical system makes this a more playable monster.

-- HOLLOW LEGIONS by MMP. Sure, I've got the old one and WEST OF ALAMEIN, but it's time to bring the desert back to the ASL core module inventory.

-- PACIFIC WAR by Nuts Publishing. Mark Herman's amazing opus revised. The original by his Victory Games publishing company was really good, but he's said that he wanted to do a better job on the China-Burma-India theater in the next edition. I can't wait.

-- BATTLEAXE by Consim Press. The system in their reissue of BEDA FOMM continued in this title. I loved BEDA FOMM, both the original GDW version and the gorgeous Consim Press edition, so I look forward to this.

-- AVALANCHE: THE SALERNO LANDINGS by Consim Press. The one GDW monster game that got away from me back in the day. VCS SALERNO scratches some of that itch and DEATH RIDE: SALERNO series is just too vast to play with all the titles put together. So I'm still longing for a new production of this golden oldie.

-- JUTLAND: FLEET ADMIRAL II by Consim Press. Am counting on being able to play the entire tactical battle on my 8' x 5' gaming table with a decent gunnery/armor protection and damage control model. FEAR GOD AND DREAD NOUGHT has the latter but doesn't easily fit on the table. Been waiting for this game for a long, long, very long time....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Plan Orange second time, my first time as the US.
Clash of Giants Gettysburg to completion.
Make more Panzer 2nd edition scenarios and play them.

Mods and systems for "fixable" games not quite there otherwise -

Figure a good mod to fix Simple Great Battles of History and playtest it.
Finish playtesting revised Wellington's Victory system.
Make multiple scenarios for Simple Panzergrenadier variant.

In the "might not get to it" department - finish and long test for Red Star Rising balance changes, and possibly Vassal mod to implement it.

Deep theory in progress - detailed sequential combat system for operational scale WW2 games, test fully, computer simulate millions of instances and shortcut the resulting probabilities to a new kind of CRT.

Attend Consim World in Phoenix, take time off to do it right not just weekends etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My plans in general are to do more wargaming than I did last year....which should be easy, since I didn't do any at all (unless you count Blue Max, which raises my total to 1 shake

Specifically, I want to get in several plays of
Iron and Oak

I would also like to get in at least one play each of several unplayed Metagaming Microgames series I have, particularly:
Rivets
Olympica
Hot Spot
Artifact

and one other small game:
Alert Force

Beyond that, whatever my bud
Ricatoni
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

might suggest. He's the real Wargamer, and I let him down this past year.
I owe him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools

Continue working on smaller, 5 turn quarter- and half-map scenarios for France '40.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
More COIN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan D
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JasonC wrote:

In the "might not get to it" department - finish and long test for Red Star Rising balance changes, and possibly Vassal mod to implement it.

Make this your priority.

Just kidding. I am glad to hear that you are still pursuing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan D
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For me, priorities are:

-Somehow fit more wargaming into my free time.
-Get The Dark Sands and Holland '44 onto my table as soon as they are shipped.
-Play a few more vassal games of A Victory Lost and Roads to Leningrad (using RtM rules) PBEM.
-Get Napoleon's Last Battles onto the table, using Stumptner's rules.
-Play some sessions of Triumph and Tragedy FtF.
-Learn and get Ukraine '43 onto the table. Should be a straightforward transition, as I know France '40.
-Continue to search for an operational/strategic game that perfectly captures (or nearly so) the entire eastern front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Howard
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to get a 3 player game of Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe in. I am also in the midst of a trade for Bloody April, 1917: Air War Over Arras, France can't wait to groc this one. And last but not least, I need to acquire a copy of Empire of the Sun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael connor
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I would like to finish at least one game I bought in 2016.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.