Hide
20 Posts

Victory & Glory: Napoleon» Forums » General

Subject: So glad I bailed on this one..... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Ingram
msg tools
I complained on Kickstarter about what appeared to be a change to prioritise the digital version over the board game which I had helped fund. The response seemed to be to accuse me of immaturity in wanting the game too quickly. That was six months ago.... I do feel sorry for those who did not have my luck in this. The worst aspect is not the non-appearance of the game - such things happen. It's the failure to communicate which is hard to explain or excuse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hectoringram wrote:
I complained on Kickstarter about what appeared to be a change to prioritise the digital version over the board game which I had helped fund. The response seemed to be to accuse me of immaturity in wanting the game too quickly. That was six months ago.... I do feel sorry for those who did not have my luck in this. The worst aspect is not the non-appearance of the game - such things happen. It's the failure to communicate which is hard to explain or excuse.

Having bought and sold Napoleon in Europe some years ago I must admit I had reservations about making a pledge for this game. 15 months later I wished I'd have followed my instincts.

N in E was a game with a poor rule set and this one doesn't look as though it will be any different, if it ever sees the light of day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Shydler
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hectoringram wrote:

I cancelled my kickstarter order for the same reason....and that was nine months ago. One other concern that prompted the refund: the board for this game is the exact same board as the old Napoleon in Europe game. So, they had the board and board artwork (which I seriously disliked) already done, but they were still nowhere near ready to produce the game? Not to mention a dry-run set of rules (using NiE). Not encouraging. I'm sure it will get published some day....and it will be a lot like NiE with meeples...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I am similarly disappointed with the delay, I have every confidence in Glenn to produce an excellent game.

Regards,

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too can wait. Luckily there are plenty of games to play in the meantime and hopefully it will be a fine game when it arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the up dates on progress are not coming through I've requested a refund on this one, I'm afraid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David Groves wrote:
Since the up dates on progress are not coming through I've requested a refund on this one, I'm afraid.

Good luck with that....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Punk Reaper wrote:
David Groves wrote:

Good luck with that....

Thank you very much, Martin. I'm rather hoping to get some sort of a response out of the management of this project since little has been forthcoming since October and I think all of the backers deserve far better treatment.

All the best
Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wink
United States
Eagleville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stayed away from this one based on designer comments in a separate thread here on BGG. We had a difference in opinion on the purpose of a kickstarer campaign. In my view, he sees Kickstarter as a mechanism to fund the creative process. My feeling is that Kickstarter is there to fund a finished idea, which this apparently isn't yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I love the idea of this style of game in this genre so I helped kickstart this one.

One thing to remember: this is a very very niche market. Not even 500 backers in the kickstarter. This makes me a lot more willing to put up with delays and communication snafus etc. People make games like this because they are a labor of love.

I understand the frustration not getting proper updates and that seems like something that could be easily addressed. The way I see it is there is no way I will ever get a game like this from FFG or anywhere else; it's just too niche. So if there is a chance at all of something like this coming out, this is pretty much the only way. And that is a chance I was willing to take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drazen Kramaric
Croatia
Zagreb
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Logistics Pete wrote, one should go to Kickstarter with finished idea and ask people to fund it. I own NiE and spent more time studying the rules and making something out of them than actually playing the game so I'd wellcome Napoleonic A&A game or similar.

In last five years there was War and Peace and there was Napoleonic Viktory II so it's not that it's impossible to offer Napoleonic strategic light game. There were many Napoleonic titles covering individual battles with blocks or meeples.

So, I'd say the delay has more to do with the designer than with the topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree with you, Drax. I think the designer has totally lost his way.

And as already stated by Tom Shydler if we do ever receive this game I fully anticipate it to be a Napoleon in Europe Mk 2 but without the decent set of minis that I would much rather have than meeples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
I, for one, am completely content with the delay on V&G. It bothers me not one bit. I look forward to trying the game, and playing NIE with the counters, but until then I have a million other things to do. No worries here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Phil

If you ever visit this thread again let me assure you that you did the right thing by bailing out. This game is going nowhere at the moment and there is now a small queue of people trying to get refunds that are being totally ignored.

The rules appear to have changed out of recognition and so the game you initially backed is no longer on the table; well, lets face it, nothing is on the table as I write. Oh, and communication is sketchy at best. I wish I could get my money back and I shall never back another game from this author again .

All the best
Dave
EDIT: Since writing this I did get my money back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chargetheguns wrote:
I, for one, am completely content with the delay on V&G. It bothers me not one bit. I look forward to trying the game, and playing NIE with the counters, but until then I have a million other things to do. No worries here.

Still okay with the delay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
roboman wrote:
chargetheguns wrote:

Still okay with the delay?

Rather less so now, but I feel sorry for Glenn rather than angry with him. I'm 100% sure he did not want this big delay to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Refund received today. I'm so relieved to be out of this one, after two years. According to Glenn from an exchange of e-mails earlier this week they are still play testing and the rule book is not complete.

That means some more development at the very least plus production and shipping. A case of roll on 2018, for those that still want it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Kitchens
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking at this as sunk cost. Like everybody else I'm disappointed in the delay, but I'm no longer surprised. I feel I've had an unusually large number of similar experiences with kickstarter. I'm just kickstarter cursed.

So, maybe one day this game will roll in....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Texas Time Traveler wrote:
I'm looking at this as sunk cost. Like everybody else I'm disappointed in the delay, but I'm no longer surprised. I feel I've had an unusually large number of similar experiences with kickstarter. I'm just kickstarter cursed.

The game probably will roll in some time during 2018 but I don't think it will be the game we backed. Hopefully, for those that stick with it, it will be satisfactory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Kitchens
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David Groves wrote:
Texas Time Traveler wrote:

The game probably will roll in some time during 2018 but I don't think it will be the game we backed. Hopefully, for those that stick with it, it will be satisfactory.

It wasn't. I have already sold mine in the BGG flea market, luckily for almost all of the money I backed it for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.