Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerrit Hellfaier
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello guys,

found this game under the Xmas tree, now I am reading through the rules.

Maybe this is a stupid question:

Are there AFV-units in this game? I can not find the Counters and expected them in the setup for the 1917-scenario.

Thanks and I wish all BGGeeks a great and happy New Year.

Gerrit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Olow
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

There are no AFV units in the countermix and none listed in the OOB for any of the scenarios, so I don't think that there are supposed to be any. The rules are written as a series rulebook and I expect that we will see other games in the future incorporate AFVs.

Happy new year!

/Filip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gorkowski
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Right

AFV appear in the rules for future games in the series. There are no AFV in the first Red Poppies game because none served in the area depicted, even in 1917.

Thanks
John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerrit Hellfaier
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Filip, John,

thank you very much.

I was not sure about the use of tanks.

During the attack against Menin 31.07.1917 22 allied tanks took part. But I did not compare it with the timeframe of the game. after a deeper look at the scenarios everything is clear.

John: when do you plan to design the next volume for the western front?

Thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gorkowski
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I want to get the East Front version out first. Last Laurels at Limanowa, depicting the December 1914 battle for Limanowa, is now with the artist. Once he's done, Compass can publish. Then back to the West with tanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G
United Kingdom
Droitwich Spa
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The words I've wanted to read since playing my first game of ypres, Guaranteed customer here for more in the red poppies series!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerrit Hellfaier
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too!

But my hope was that Vol. II adresses to the western front too an matches to the Ypres-maps.

John, what do you think is a realistic date for Vol. III western front? 2019?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gorkowski
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb

Malleus_Berlin wrote:
Me too!

But my hope was that Vol. II adresses to the western front too an matches to the Ypres-maps.

John, what do you think is a realistic date for Vol. III western front? 2019?

Too complex for me to speculate. The publisher and artist are major variables in that equation. But, as soon as LLL (Last Laurels at Limanowa) is done (probably this year), I'll get to work on volume 3. Happy to hear from fans all thoughts on what volume 3 should contain so that I can start shaping the design in my mind.

Thanks
John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G
United Kingdom
Droitwich Spa
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just putting this out there...

Would single maps and counter sheet 'mini' expansions be a viable option in the interim, Print and play maybe?

Something along the lines of Amiens 1917 with just some AFVs or some French units and a Verdun or Marne map. Or just a Mons map. Something to bolt onto the ypres release.

Volume-wise I think the French should definitely have a substantial part in the series (France and Italy always gets downplayed I feel because of Ww2 and its one of those things that drives me mad when I hear people moan about the 'cheese eating surrender monkeys'-but that's a conversation for another time).

I'm not too fussed about joining maps up since the self contained nature of the ypre game maps is a big plus for me in terms of setup.

Italy vs Austro-hungary on the isonzo also lends itself to the campaign design imho, perhaps Caporetto and chuck in a special Rommel unit for good measure.

Perhaps the inclusion of nation specific units too since it was a world war For example West Indian, French colonials and Indian volunteers.

Think I've vented enough:-)

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.