United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new TGIF polls are posted, or want to look at the results of past polls go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

We also have a microbadge available for those who enjoy the polls mb.

Poll: The 382nd TGIF Poll
Do you ever give games as gifts?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
All the time
5.0% 15
Frequently
20.5% 62
Sometimes
51.7% 156
Rarely
19.5% 59
Never
3.3% 10
Voters 302
Do you ever receive games as gifts?
All the time
10.3% 31
Frequently
29.2% 88
Sometimes
37.5% 113
Rarely
18.6% 56
Never
4.3% 13
Voters 301
If you were to make a New Year's Resolution about gaming, which of these would be closest to what you would choose?
Play more of the games I already love, and less new-to-me games
18.9% 56
Play less of the games I already love, and more new-to-me games
2.4% 7
Reduce the size of my collection
11.1% 33
Increase the size of my collection
1.0% 3
Join/start a game group
4.0% 12
Clean up my unplayed game list
22.6% 67
Simply play more games
36.4% 108
Simply play less games
0.0% 0
*Something else I will mention in the comments*
3.7% 11
Voters 297
This poll is now closed.   303 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Jan 5, 2017 6:00 am

4. What game or expansion are you most looking forward to in 2017?

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming resolution for 2017 is to finally get a copy of Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 and play it! I've been holding out waiting for the perfect group to play it and it is about time my husband and I just sit down, grab 2 characters each, and finally enjoy this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Vast: The Crystal Caverns on pre-order
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to some Terraforming Mars expansion goodness!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
While I get games all the time (it's the easiest way to give me a gift, what with the wishlist and all), I've narrowed down the folks I exchange gifts with over the years - so currently, I'm not giving to game players very often.

While I do think I need to play favorite games more often (and I think just playing game more often in general would accomplish that), I admit I'm at a loss on how to get that done. I tend to like longer games, and even with two and a half game groups (one is a RPG group that occasionally plays board games), I still don't get everything to the table, or get all the plays I think I would like. The thing I picked that I most want to do it get my new games played.

But truth to be told, probably the thing I most need to do is cull down my collection. With the games I got for Xmas, and adding in a shelf full of older games that I hadn't yet entered into BGG, I went over the 500 mark. While it made me happy to get the microbadge, I also realize I just have a lot of games sitting around not getting played, collecting dust. But it sure isn't the direction I'm currently going.

For 2017, I'm looking forward to getting my shipment of "all the things" for Cthulhu Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - I used to give them more, but found a lot of people don't play them, so now I give them rarely.

2 - I receive games basically all the time, every birthday and every Christmas I can count on getting at least one or two.

3 - I need to shrink my collection a little. I have so many games we don't play and they need to get out of our house. I'm not getting rid of the stuff we play, but all the chaff needs to go away.

4 - I honestly couldn't name a single game or expansion that is supposed to come out next year, I'm totally out of touch with the gaming news I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted "something else" because for the new year, I want to give up buying new games. Part of that is to get the size of my unplayed list down, starting tonight hopefully with Cry Havoc!

4. Lisboa, which my wife has pre-ordered, she is planning to buy a few games next year. Vital Lacerda is my favourite designer. My wife is also hoping to pick up A Feast for Odin when it's back in stock, which I am looking forward to playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Gabriele
Italy
Salerno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4. Lisboa - Gloomhaven
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
I give games to people that I think might like them but if they end up not playing them I will get them something else next time. I did give a game which I don't own that is now hard to get to someone that as far as I know never played it which annoys a little bit (but I'm aware that's a nonsensical attitude since if I had really wanted that game I'd have bought a copy for myself as well).

I receive games occasionally but in general they are not ones I particularly want. I'm probably difficult to buy for since any game I really want I buy for myself so someone would have to either find something I am not aware of but would really like, or something that is so expensive for what it is that I can't justify it for myself.

I don't really have any game resolutions. I guess "maintain my generally pleasant gaming habits" isn't much of a resolution really. If I had to pick one it would be the one about playing more of games you already love, but modified slightly in that I don't necessarily want to play less new games, but what I would like to do is make more of an effort to fully explore more weighty games that I like but haven't played that much. Some games only start to shine after quite a few plays and I'd like to give some games in my collection that I think might be like that a chance. For example I've played four of five games of Archipelago over the last few years. I'd like to play four or five games over the next month so that everyone gets the hang of it and we are playing it properly not having half forgotten some of the rules each time. After doing that I feel I'd know if it was really a game I like or on that is intriguing but not really for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what I'm working on for 2017.

cordeiro's 2017 10x10 challenge (hardcore edition)

Aside from that, my wife and I have been discussing which games to give away, as our game shelf is pretty much full.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I would've said "never" but I gave someone a Dominion expansion as a gift this Christmas. So, rarely.
2. Having said "rarely" to the last question, I went ahead and said "rarely" here, too. I don't remember the last time someone gave me a game gift, and I don't think it was a gift-giving occasion particularly.
3. The closest thing I have to a New Year's Resolution for games is my Countdown Challenge. The idea is to get to the table games that I enjoy but don't otherwise get to the table, or don't get to the table enough. That didn't seem to really match any of the categories, so I picked "other" in the poll.
4. I'm looking forward to Zendo 2.0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
* I am hoping to get rarely played games in my collection to the game table. I also hope to have a humongous Heroscape game with my nephew.

4. I am looking forward to the reprint of Battle of Britain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
Why did Dracula become a bank? To deal with suckers every day!
mbmbmbmbmb
What game am I looking forward to?

I kind of hate Cthulu, but something about the enthusiasm that the people from GameNight had for Mountains of Madness makes me want to check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Hodge
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
FIELDS OF ARLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
4. What game or expansion are you most looking forward to in 2017?

Sheriff of Nottingham
American Railroads (for Russian Railroads)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to Pandemic Legacy: Season 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
:C.h.r.i.s. M.c.G.o.w.a.n:
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. All the time. I don't give gifts outside of to family members and they still enjoy receiving them, especially since I teach them how to play so they can play when I am not around.

2. Frequently. I have a wishlist known to family members or I get FLGS gift certificates.

3. Play more of what I love. I am reaching the point where learning another rule set - mainly from someone teaching me - is OK, but I'd rather just play "x" which I know I like. I do enjoy exploring new games, but I'd rather slow that down a bit.

4. Any of my owned and unplayed games - recent additions, Kickstarters, dusty titles that have languished for days/weeks/months/years on my shelf. Sluff Off! , Flamme Rouge , Bolide , etc.

Game on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
I love to give games, but to those who like to receive them. Fortunately, that includes many in my family.

I like to receive games, but getting games I already have is somewhat awkward.

I need to play more games.

I'm really looking forward to Yokohama deluxe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to Lisboa and The 7th Continent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Steck
United States
Benton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to pick a small collection of games, say 5-7, and play only those games for two months.

I have no interest in playing a game only once or twice a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Vestal
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I said 'sometimes' for both of the first two, as I have the luxury of basically just buying a game for myself if I really want it (mostly because I only 'really want' a small portion of games - I own ~50 and am trying to get rid of a few of them), and I don't get gifts for enough people who really like games. Though I did get Codenames for my family's swap this year, and I think that went over well.

I voted that I wanted to play more games that I know I like rather than new ones. That's been my goal for the second half of 2016 as well, to some success. I think I was playing a lot of new games for a while since I'm still relatively new to the hobby and I wanted to get a good feel for things, but now that I feel like I understand both my taste and what's out there I want to fall back into a bit more of a groove.

As far as 2017 games I'm excited about, it's pretty close between Lisboa which everyone's mentioning and Brasil which I know almost nothing about but the designers and the publisher have yet to let me down. There may be a few others I'm curious about, but those two are definite must-buys (well, I guess I've already paid for Lisboa, but still).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: New Year's Resolution
Start regularly going along to the Wednesday Night group I was a part of for five years. When the location stopped being one particular place I became disinclined to make the effort. I miss those people, and the gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Up until a week ago, I would have said that Talon is my most anticipated game (because I missed out on it during the first print run earlier this year), but my son picked up Star Wars: Armada and a bunch of expansions with his Christmas money and now that I've played that I might not need Talon anymore. So, that doesn't leave anything that I'm strongly looking forward to in 2017.

Most likely candidate is Adrenaline (which I've apparently also missed out on in the first pass).

Or maybe Welcome to Centerville or Pericles: The Peloponnesian Wars or Imperial Struggle or Time of Crisis. OK, I guess I'm looking forward to a few things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I'd say frequently - If I think it will actually be played then I'd choose a game over other options, as I feel more qualified to choose games for people than other gifts ;P

2. If I'm receiving gifts, it probably includes games (As family tend to get my wishlist, which is 90% games =P0.

3. I've gone with playing more of the games I already love, and less new to me games.

I absolutely love being cult of the new and trying out lots of new games, its' exciting to always have something different to try out - But I have so many brilliant games now that it's a shame I don't get more plays out of each of them :/

---

4. That's tough...I don't really have any 'omg must haves' that I'm aware of for 2017. I'm looking forward to various kickstarter projects being delivered though, which at a glance I'd say Yokohama seems the most interesting (Or Lisboa - Unsure as Vitals games sit on the border of too heavy to convince people to play with me ;P).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Saari
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to the US release of Consulting Detective (Jack the Ripper and the West End Adventures) + any TIME expansions (starting with Expedition Endurance).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.