BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: My Collection rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Murray
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I have been into this hobby for a short time now but am loving it. My questions are as follows:

At what point can I call my games a collection? Also, am I off to good start? My intention is for my 'collection' to be well rounded and considered 'respectable' to true board gamers. The games I own are listed below:

Robinson Crusoe
Zombicide
A Touch of Evil
Eldritch Horror
Freedom
Mice and Mystics
Time Stories
Apex
The Gallerist
Scythe

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
col·lec·tion
kəˈlekSH(ə)n/
noun
the action or process of collecting someone or something.
"the collection of maple sap"
a group of things or people.
"a rambling collection of houses"

Are you partaking in the process of collecting board games? Do you have a group of board games in your house? I'd say yes. As far as asking if you're off to a good start, well, do you like the games you have? If yes, then the answer is yes. If no, then the answer is no.

Outside of my vague "seek your own happiness" answers, if you're looking for well roundedness maybe look into some euros like Carcassonne, Catan, Ticket to Ride, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a collection to me! My advice would be to not worry about whether or not someone else would consider it "respectable", and to just focus on what you like; it's your collection after all.

Is there any sort of genre you'd be interesting in adding to your collection though? Economic games? Drafting games? Lighter filler games? There are a lot of options out there if you're wanting to have a game for any occasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a collection and you're off to a good start. I'm not sure what the size of the collection has to do with anything, though. If there had to be some kind of metric, I suppose something like how often a person played games would be of more interest to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
David murray wrote:
My intention is for my 'collection' to be well rounded and considered 'respectable' to true board gamers.

This is silly. The games you love to play, the games you get to the table to enjoy with your friends and family, and the games you collect for any other reason such as you just like the looks of them, all of these make a well-rounded collection.

If you play board games, then you're a board gamer. Saying "true board gamer" implies some sort of poser group existence. There isn't one. Likewise there exists no "true board gamer" ideal to live up to.

Embrace your enjoyment of the board games you find fun and interesting, and accept that your collection will be different from everyone else's because it should/will be personalized to your tastes, game groups, and life.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike williams
United States
Sumner
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. shake Without Die Macher and Age of Steam with all of its expansions no true board gamer will ever consider your list respectable.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Seriously though you are worrying about something that really doesn't matter. Buy games you like to play, not what might make you feel cool around this myth of "true board gamers". Were all just a bunch of nerds playing games and having fun, and that is all that matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Kelso
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question, great thread!

I've only been in this hobby in earnest since about April. In that time, I've learned that I have no financial hope of owning every game worth owning, and no timely hope of playing every game worth playing. And that really stinks, but whatever. It's helped me change my understanding of what makes a game great for me. Having fun with my wife and our friends is ultimately what makes the game great, for me.

So, for example, do I want The Gallerist almost more than anything except maybe being able to change my BGG username? Yep. Except i'll literally never get to play it for reasons of game length and weight.

And on the other hand, do people around BGG poo-poo Card Against Humanity? So many do! Is it my favorite game? No way. But I appreciate that so many of my friends appreciate it, and it clears a certain low mental bar that we often find ourselves at on a Friday night, at the end of the work week, burnt out from dealing with our young children. So that's in my collection, and i'll never suggest it, but i'll never apologize for owning and playing it, either.

Obviously, YMMV, but find out what works for you and go get those games. I wish you the best of luck in this endeavor, and if you make any missteps, look me up on the trade market - if a deal makes sense, i'll be a reasonable trade partner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dice
Paraguay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I understand what you are saying. For example, I would like to have an ideal/s game/s for playing with my spouse, in a party, just with kids, to take it on a trip, if I'm feeling cooperative or competitive, etc

IMHO, I see a lack of gateway games in your collection (King of Tokyo, Carcassone, TTR, Sheriff of Nothinghan ) and party games (Codenames: Pictures, Deception Murder in Hong Kong, Spyfall to name a few)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Veero wrote:
David murray wrote:
My intention is for my 'collection' to be well rounded and considered 'respectable' to true board gamers.

This is silly. The games you love to play, the games you get to the table to enjoy with your friends and family, and the games you collect for any other reason such as you just like the looks of them, all of these make a well-rounded collection.

If you play board games, then you're a board gamer. Saying "true board gamer" implies some sort of poser group existence. There isn't one. Likewise there exists no "true board gamer" ideal to live up to.

Embrace your enjoyment of the board games you find fun and interesting, and accept that your collection will be different from everyone else's because it should/will be personalized to your tastes, game groups, and life.

~V

That.

I don't see the point in pleasing a faction of the whole unless some people's opinion really does mean something to you.

Am I a trve boardgamer (TRVE BLACK METAL BOARD GAMER SPOTTED)? Maybe. Does your collection seem respectable to me as a board gamer? No. It features something else than card games and deckbuilders. Try again.

Now, does it seem respectable to me as a person. Sure, you have high rated games that probably give you and the people you enjoy playing with enjoyement.

I don't believe that anything else matters.

As for what you should add to it: Games you wanna play that would please you and your group and that your group doesn't have already, be them old or new.

For instance, 7 Wonders Duel is all the rage and I mainly play 2 players, then, should it be in my collection? Well, according to BGG, yes it should. And it is. And you know what? I HATE that game. I don't like playing it all, I find it boring and I win most of the time. I wish I could get it traded but it's a gift
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My free advice would be not to worry what "true gamers" think of your collection. There's more to life than simply trying to be "popular".

What does a well-rounded collection mean, anyway? I'm asking rhetorically. My personal collection lacks party games, war games, thematic games, but that's because I'm primarily a euro gamer. I play all categories of games with my friends, but I don't own them...they do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Strait
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
I can say from experience that you'll be out another $1,000 before your collection is "well rounded", because you'll always end up thinking of some genre or mechanic that you don't yet have an example of, and use it as an excuse to buy more games. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
heyyouyeahyou 12
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To hit on a point other than what everybody else has, I would say your collection leans heavily on co-op games. I'd look into picking up a couple more conflict games so the games don't start to blend together!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
All understood. Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you enjoy all of these, then you have a great collection. If you don't enjoy some of them, don't be afraid to cut your losses and sell those ones (no matter how many people say they're great). A collection only has to be as vast as you want it to be. Only like a few genres? That's fine. Only want to own a few games? That's fine. It's better to take your time and figure out what you enjoy than to rush into the latest hotness and end up disappointed.

The other metric I use when I purchase games is 'will I get the opportunity to play this often?'/'will it appeal to the people I game with?'. I made this mistake early on, buying a game that was super fun at a convention but that my friends just didn't get into. Thus it has been played less than 5 times even though it was one of the first games I bought. I still have hope, but if I could go back in time I wouldn't have bought it. When you are starting out, a 'dead' game (in the sense that you can't get it played) feels like such a waste as it makes up a decent percentage of your collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David murray wrote:
I have been into this hobby for a short time now but am loving it. My questions are as follows:

At what point can I call my games a collection?

One game. That's all you need. Just one game.

Quote:
Also, am I off to good start? My intention is for my 'collection' to be well rounded and considered 'respectable' to true board gamers.

You're going about it the wrong way. Your collection should be for you and only you. Fill it with games you love, not games that are regarded highly by the community. Your collection is for you, and you should build it and cherish it and love it for you. Also, get the phrase "true board gamer" out of your vocabulary. There's no such thing as a "true board gamer" there are only people who play games, and people who don't, and the people who do are all equally board gamers.

Quote:
The games I own are listed below:

Robinson Crusoe
Zombicide
A Touch of Evil
Eldritch Horror
Freedom
Mice and Mystics
Time Stories
Apex
The Gallerist
Scythe

If you love these games, you're off to a good start. If you don't, well, start culling, start selling, start trading for stuff you do love. Always remember, your collection is for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember when I only had 10 games. Now I have so many that I'm taking off the next year entirely when it comes to purchases. I don't regret it at all but I'm looking forward to focusing a whole year on games I already have.

Your collection seems pretty good. I have Robinson, Freedom and The Gallerist and am very happy with all three. I do agree that 1 or 2 gateway style games might help when and if you are ever around some less experienced gamers. Not to mention, I don't think I'd be happy always playing heavier games. As much as I love Robinson or The Gallerist they didn't get played as many times as Animal Upon Animal, Coconuts, or Karuba. Maybe a 2-player only game as well, I'm looking at Patchwork for that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.